As a watch collector, I tend to buy automatic watches due to various reasons explained further down. This Seiko 5 is a great watch for the price. Movement is smooth and precise, with the second hand sweeping graciously around the easy to read watch face.

The black nylon strap matches nicely with the watch fascia. The 37mm brushed steel watch bezel gives it a touch of class. My only gripe is that nylon strap does tend to fray over time and I prefer the more comfortable canvas material offered on other Seiko watches.

Automatic watches tend to keep their price relatively well due to the mechanical movement, which involves precision engineering of miniature gears. The glass back reveals these gears in motion. Another big advantage is that you never have to change a battery. Going through my collection changing batteries is quite a laborious chore. And once the watch is opened, it will never regain the water resistance or proofing as when it left the factory, unless, of course you are ready to pay a hefty amount to get it done by the manufacturer. Another point worth mentioning is that during the course of opening or closing the back cover for a battery change, there is always a risk of scratching the watch.

At this price point, I rate the Seiko 5 stars.

I recommend this watch for those seeking a reliable performer, and do not mind losing or gaining a minute every 2 to 3 weeks.
33 comments| 38 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 13 July 2014
A very smart good quality watch.
The watch isn't huge unlike other men's watches that look ridiculous if you have skinny wrists like me so this suits.
It has a very quiet tick so if that annoys you this won't as you can barely hear it.
The glass back is a nice touch that allows you to see the inner workings and the overall design is very nice.
The strap is comfortable, non scratchy and doesn't irritate even on a hot day when you are likely to sweat more and the buckle allows you to quickly adjust the size if like me you swell in the heat.
I've found that the time gain is around 1 to 2 minutes a month but this is not a problem as the calendar is not chronological so at the end of the month the date needs to be amended depending on how many are in the month as it will just count to 31, the extra minutes can be pulled back when making this adjustment.
Overall a recommended purchase if you are looking for a smart automatic watch for a reasonable price.
on 28 April 2015
Very pleased after wearing it for the past 1.5 months. I could perhaps have wanted it to have a bit sturdier glass seeing as I have already gotten my first small scratch, but I think the price makes up for that little shortcoming. What truly surprises me, however, is that I have yet to see someone mentioning how great it looks with a Nato strap!

Please do yourself a favour and buy a couple of different coloured straps to go with it, and you may enjoy variation without having a full watch collection. I got five (brown leather, blue/white nato, black/grey nato, green and camo) for about £30 and I think it now has way more character than it ever had with the included strap. I can change the strap to another Nato in about 20 sec, but not go back to the standard one unless I sit down and use the tool I needed to get it off in the first place.

Submitting pics of my two favourite straps. Imagine grabbing a jacket before heading out and then swiftly changing to a matching strap. Yeah, stop hesitating and treat yo self.
review image review image
on 18 December 2013
i've got a seiko automatic from the 70s...never missed a beat. alas, now, the 'glass' (plastic) face front has become rather scratched...time for a replacement.
i hate to get batteries changed on a watch. have a citizen ecodrive and a casio edifice...both solar powered. wanted something a bit more mechanical this time...and up here in scotland we sometimes don't see much sun (not quite true but close).
the seiko SNK809 seemed perfect. i'm not disappointed at all.
as others have said it is quite slim. my, large, wrists don't dominate it though and the strap's plenty long enough for me (using the 4th last hole). will see how the 'hardlex' face stands up to some abuse. crystal is it? not sure why they feel the need to make up words such as that. no one mentioned the see-through back as far as i could tell...have uploaded an image (of rather bad quality but it was rather dark in the room) of the back and the face.
it has a lovely tick...almost a purr...and the sweep of the second hand is reassuringly smooth. it's keeping very good time. if you do take it off for a while and it runs down it doesn't take long to get back up to speed when you put it back on again.
all in all a great timepiece at a great price. highly recommended.
review image review image
on 17 April 2012
Bought this to replace a disappointing watch that i bought, thinking if you pay a bit more then you get a better watch, my dad bought one of its predecessors in the 60's and apart from a new strap it keeps on ticking. This watch is spot on it looks smart, comfortable to wear and is just quality. I wholly recommend it the self winding mechanism is so easy to use, the only thing i have had to do is make sure i wear it everyday or give it a shake or two everyday to keep the watch wound up but its what the watch is supposed to do and be used for.

the black canvas strap is smart and comfortable and you get the satisfaction of seiko quality and no batteries.
44 comments| 44 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 4 September 2012
Was due for a new watch - fancied an automatic - and selected this one. First impression was that it is a good looking watch - quite descrete with black band and dark face.
Timekeeping seems quite good. It drifts a little - but +/- less than 1 minute over a few weeks is not a problem for me. (Mine seems a little fast). Watch does not "stop" when adjusting which is slightly annoying when setting. (Book says it is supposed to when crown pulled out fully).
There is barely a ticking sound from it.
Seeing the workings from the back is nice too.
This model is "water resistant" which - according to the book is NOT water resistant. It loses a star here.
on 25 December 2013
Best value watch I ever purchased

I purchased for the dial and Seiko 5 reputation; I have since replaced the strap with metal and can confirm is a bargain.

I always get asked were and how much with majority thinking this is an exclusive Seiko dial worth above £300

YOU WILL NOT BE DIS-POINTED
on 12 January 2014
I bought this seiko having many years ago owned a previous kinetic watch an dyeing fed up with the battery replacement saga of other watches. A couple of slight niggles, I do not have a very large wrist but if i did suspect the strap would not be long enough. But having said that it is a comfortable wear.

nd even more minor niggle one needs to complete serial numb info form the watch for the guarantee it would seem to be almost illegible

Very happy with the watch however light and comfortable
on 10 March 2016
I love my watches, and after purchasing a couple of casual and smart watches, decided I needed something a little more rugged, that could take a beating and wasn't too expensive. Not being a fan of the shock series I looked for something a little less bulky.

This watched also resembled the army/bushcraft style watch that I was looking for but for a lot less money.

This watch does exactly what I need it too. Tell the time accurately, without needing to worry about changing batteries, glow in the dark hands, comfortable and adjustable strap, rugged, and waterproof.

I have this as my go to watch for anything that involves being outside, as I know I don't have to worry about hurting it. Granted it will not look amazing at work with a suit, but for any other occasion it will be perfect.

One of my favourite features is the back see-through case which is fascinating to see albeit a useless function.
on 19 May 2014
This is my first watch ever and first review too. I don't know what else to expect from it as it works perfrctly. No minute gain or lose issues here. I wear this watch all the time, it sits comfortably on my wrist (i have an average size wrist)it is not very big, it is a typical military watch. I don't like the nylon strap that this watch came with so i bought a leather Nato Zulu strap (i hear these straps are pretty good) instead.The watch is water resistant but you can't swim with it.Washing the dishes,taking shower won't be problem though.Dials luminate only after being exposed to sun light (holding the watch to desk lamp works too.Hold it under the direct light for about a minute and the dials will glow for about 5,6 hours.

That 's pretty much it.i love this watch.Great value for money.Besides,it was made by the Japanese..enough said