on 6 July 2016
This is the second book in the Anna Travis series, which follows a young detective starting out in her career. If you have not read any of these books before, I would suggest you start with the first, Above Suspicion, as this lays out the back story of Anna and how she came to be in the police force and also her on/off relationship with her boss, James Langton.

Like the first book this story follows a murder investigation, this time of a young woman which bears striking similarities to the infamous Black Dahlia murder in the 1940s. I should warn you that the description of what happened is quite gruesome in parts and even though I have read plenty of these types of books, I did find some of the descriptions a bit hard to stomach. Other than that it is a gripping read with a fantastic story which meant a lot of late nights as I could not put the book down.

Highly recommended read and will now be on to the next book in the series, Clean Cut
2 people found this helpful
on 5 July 2018
Absolutely gripping! Another potential Prime Suspect series. Yes, the story had some gruesome elements, but this is a police thriller/drama, and the essence is they are trying to catch a sadistic killer. I enjoyed the depths of the characters, each one being slightly flawed and I connected with Anne Travis. I took 2 days to read this, and couldn't put it down!
on 11 June 2018
I have given the Red Dahlia three stars, partlybecause the perpetrator is evident fairly early on but also the exceptional violence involved. Crime does involve sadistic violence but I felt some of the details went a step too far. This is not a book for the faint hearted.
|0Comment|Report abuse
This was the second book I have red in the Anna Travis series and found it well written and researched. I didn't see the ending coming and the climax rather unlikely. However,I did enjoy the story and would recommend it as it is a good read. Don't know where the relationship with Travis and her boss goes next???
on 2 February 2018
A brilliant read from La Plante! Part of a series which I recommend it started at the very beginning. Above Suspicion. Even if you have not seen the TV series its still very enjoyable.
on 20 July 2016
This is the third Lynda la Plante novel I've read and sad to say it will be the last. I found it absolutely gastly. Too much narrative and unbelievable situations, such as a journalist being included in a briefing between the principle characters. After the crime was solved the story continued to drift along, going nowhere! Why?
on 1 July 2018
The story was complicated and sometimes difficult to follow but I enjoyed it and although parts were gruesome the overall story was good.
on 10 January 2017
The second book in the series and they are getting better all the time, can't wait to read the next one, not for the faint hearted but a great story line.
on 4 November 2015
To start with the book got off to a good start and it appeared to be written to the usual high standard of the author but I think it lost its way slightly towards the back end and I thought the last few chapters were disappointing and not up to the authors gift keeping the reader hooked to the last page. Having said that I still enjoyed reading the story.
on 19 July 2016
Complex but believable characters. A plot that twists and turn and makes you both love and hate some of the people, but keeps you hooked to the very last page.