Format: DVD|Change

on 20 October 2009
My Sister's Keeper [DVD] [2009]

I loved the book so much that I was not sure whether I wanted to see the film - however it is excellent, extremely well acted and directed. The ending of the film was different from the book, but it was logical and didn't detract at all.

Kate is sick, and her parents have an IVF baby, Anna, as a genetic match for Kate so that Anna can donate blood, bone marrow, whatever is necessary to save her sister's life. Eventually Kate becomes sick enough that Anna is expected to donate one of her kidneys to her sister, and she turns to a lawyer to gain medical emancipation from her parents.

Truly superb acting by all. Sofia Vassilieva was splendid as Kate, and Abigail Breslin as Anna. Cameron Diaz, as a fraught mother doing her best to keep her daughter alive by any means, is totally believable - so good to see her in a more stretching role than usual. Alec Baldwin as the lawyer, with health problems of his own, was inspired.

I first watched this in the cinema, and the whole audience was totally caught up in the emotions of the characters - the only sound was quiet sniffling. Very moving and definitely worth watching again.
0Comment| 109 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 19 June 2012
If you've read the book, you'll probably be disappointed by this film because it's very different in many ways. The characters of Jesse (the brother) and Campbell Alexander (the lawyer) were mere token gestures in the film but were fully explored in the book and there was no mention whatsoever of Campbell's love interest, who also played a big part in the legal proceedings. And the ending?! Well, totally different. Ruined it for me.

As a film, I suppose it was fairly well done but if you have the tendency to cry at films or books, good luck at even watching it through your floods of tears. Don't wear any mascara for goodness sake!
on 22 March 2012
I was really quite disappointed with the film. I loved the book and had hoped that they would keep as true to the book as possible.

Whilst the film on it's own may have been good to watch, and there are some funny, touching and very emotional moments, I wouldn't recommend watching if you loved the book.

The ending isn't as per the book, and in my view, it completely spoilt the whole film. The ending is supposed to be a bittersweet victory...
on 14 July 2012
Like other reviewers, I watched this after reading the book. I have been putting off watching it for a while because I knew it would be sad, and made the mistake of finally watching it when I was feeling emotional. The storyline is emotive, and I was drawn in quickly, although some of the characters were not as developed as they could have been, and may leave people not knowing their story in the book confused, and those who do disappointed. I was not expecting to like Alec Baldwin as the lawyer, but I thought he did do a good job, although his part was not as big as it was in the book, and I would have liked to see the humour of his various made-up reasons for having a service dog.
The young actors in film were all very well played, and I particularly enjoyed the relationship Kate had with another patient.
I did spend the last 30 minutes of the film crying, although my tears stopped abruptly at the end of the film when I realised it had been changed completely from the ending of the book. This did make me angry, because it felt like the entire 'point' of the book was missing. Had this film been under another name, I would have given it 5 stars. As it is, I have given it 2 for the acting and the emotion, but in general I am disappointed by this film.
on 13 June 2010
Oh Dear, What a mess this is.

I loved the casting and esp Alec Baldwin, Abigail Breslin and Cameron Diaz.

The book is so incredibly powerful BECAUSE of the ending... WHY oh WHY did they not follow the great beginning of the film with the correct ending!!!!

Very Sad to see, such a good book vandalised like this,
on 12 January 2010
Having enjoyed the book I was eagerly anticipating watching the film. However, I now wish I hadn't wasted my time. This adaptation was awful, mostly because the ending was completely changed. Anyone who has read the book will know what impact the ending had, and without this I felt the film was altogether a bit of a pointless waste of time. I also felt like several characters, particularly Jesse and Campbell Alexander, were not portrayed effectively in the film.

All in all, a disappointing waste of time.
on 9 January 2012
The film was meant to be an adaptation of the book, My Sister's Keeper, yet it strayed so far from the original storyline that it lost the same magical heartbreak that the book created. The family dynamic and relationship was lost in the film. The book, I felt, was true to life; the family loved eachother, but from Jesse and Anna's point of view, there was resentment for Kate getting their parent's attention and guilt for feeling like this, anger at Jesse being forgotten and Anna's life being seen as an extension of Kate and anger from her parents point of view that it was their daughter that got leukaemia, and not another child and the horror of thinking like this.

The film instead changed each character so much that it was like they'd created a new family and only kept the names and the leukaemia the same. In all, I found the film a disappointment, especially the somewhat bizarre ending.
on 15 April 2016
I enjoyed the film and I did cry at the end. The performances were very good especially the actress who played the sick sister. I cannot say to watch or not as I do know there are many who loved the book but may be disappointed in the film. The film changes some things that are in the book. If you have not read the book you more than likely will enjoy the movie. I am sorry I cannot explain it any better than that.
on 13 August 2016
Kept me hooked all the way through - no mean feat as I normally fall asleep part way through a movie these days! I didn't forsee the twist so it came as a bit of a shock but made perfect sense. Believable characters and I switched from liking to loathing to liking the 'donor' child. Just make sure you've got plenty tissues!
on 28 November 2009
Sofia Vassilieva was superb as Kate, and the translation of Kate's relationship with Taylor was wonderful to watch. The rest was horrendous, especially Alec Baldwin's typically one dimensional portrayal of Campbell Alexander.

The ending was changed completely amd the film was the poorer for it. I understand much is lost in translation from book to film, although I believe that if you don't like where a writer takes a story, write your own from scratch instead of changing their work. Many changes were made with now obvious reason

Had I watched this without reading the book I would have enjoyed it on the whole, but feel that the ending was predictable and weak.