Style Name: UK VERSION|Change

on 4 September 2012
I bought this to replace a MX Revolution that was dying after five years of heavy use. My first impression is that this is a downgrade in many respects, but only a small one. Here are points to consider for other people moving from a Revolution:

The same
- The shape and feel is roughly similar. If the Revolution fits your hand, this should fit too. It's a little longer, but not obnoxiously so.
- Good response, etc. This one is supposed to be better on difficult surfaces, and that may well be true - I haven't tested it on any.
- Build quality feels good - as it should at the price - and I've no reason to think this won't last me another five years.

- The battery is now a replaceable rechargeable NiMH, and it charges through MicroUSB. The charging socket is at the front of the mouse, so it can be used while charging, with the cable being positioned roughly like the cable on a wired mouse. I don't know how the life compares as yet, but since recharging is less of a chore it matters less.
- Mouse response on difficult surfaces is claimed to be better - not tested.
- Tiny USB adaptor. (A "unified" one so you can share it with a Logitech wireless keyboard if you have one)

- The wheel no longer automatically switches between ratcheted and free-spinning depending on speed. Instead, you can switch it by pressing the (mechanical) button behind the wheel.
- That little button behind the wheel, being a mechanical switch, is no longer mappable. I used to have that as the middle button and use clicking-the-wheel to swap wheel modes. That's no longer possible. For the same reason, I don't think it's possible to have the wheel change mode according to the application you're in.
- There's a much less positive click when pushing the wheel left or right. It works well, it's just not always obvious that it's worked.
- The "second wheel" on the left hand side of the Revolution has been replaced by two buttons (mapped by default to zoom and task switch). These are nicely positioned, but don't have the wheel's benefit of having up to three functions positioned right under your thumb without moving it.
- The total number of mappable actions is reduced by two (one from the wheel, one from the button on top that is now fixed to wheel-mode).
- The forward/back buttons feel a little more awkward to reach - but this may just be a matter of getting used to a slightly different layout.

Overall, I'd rather have another MX Revolution, but in its absence this is a good replacement.
22 comments| 64 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 28 November 2009
If you use a computer for any great length of time in certain industries, you soon appreciate how important a good mouse is. I've tried the Logitech Laser mouse before this but buttons were in the wrong place, one button was located under the tip of your thumb, didn't work. But the MX Performance seems to have got it just right, fully customisable and the lower thumb button feels natural to use. The scroll wheel also has a speed button which is fast becoming a 'can't live without' feature.

I migrated from PC to Mac, so a compatible mouse was important (one button was never going to cut it with me) and the MX ticks all the boxes if you're a Mac user, a quick download and you're ready to use. Comfort wise, like all Logitech mice of this standard it fits snuggly into the palm of your hand, buttons have a light but solid feel and are placed just right for my hand. Tracking is smooth and precise, I've not tried it on glass yet, but I don't have a glass table. The mouse is also surprisingly light despite having a re-chargeble battery, incidentally the battery life is good so far, well I haven't charged it since purchase!

The only downside to the MX is possibly the price, it's not cheap, but I've wasted so much on mice that just don't work for me and this is a product that will undoubtedly last and will not be replaced for a long time.
22 comments| 71 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 15 March 2010
I use it as a "laptop everywhere" mouse. I am very happy with it.

When my laptop goes into the docking station, I use it as a desktop mouse (so I only have the keyboard attached), as the unifying adapter stays plugged into the laptop. As the unifying adapter works with many peripherals, I could just get a wireless Logitech keyboard (like K800), and leave near the docking station.
I also use this mouse as a remote controller when watching movies from the sofa. I was planning to get an infrared remote, but this gets the job done, too.

I like:
- All surfaces really (vs. MS Bluetrack doesn't work on a highly transparent surface, like glass kitchen table)
- Scroll-wheel can be switched to freewheel and rotary-click on the fly. This is the same cool as the Darkfield technology.
- DPI low/high can be changed on the fly (will have to sacrifice one of the buttons, ex. zoom or application switcher, though), the battery leds blink when dpi is changed
- Application switcher thumb button (although this is different from XP/Vista/7 built in features and only works with the Logitech software)
- Battery can be charged during use; battery can be replaced to use standard AA alkaline battery; Three leds show the battery level
- Can work in parallel with another mouse
- Small radio transmitter (so great for laptops carried in a bag, too)
- No pairing required, just switch on, and it works (vs. Bluetooth and older wireless mouses need pairing and/or connect )
- On-off switch (saves battery power)
- No lag after idle
- No silly blue led that would illuminate

I didn't like (these are just minor things):
- Logitech driver feels old-school (low res icon graphics, non-standard dialogs and menus).
- Ergonomics are fine, just too futuristic for my liking (I prefer the MS/Razor Habu Gaming mouse ergonomics).
- This is unavoidable, but the receiver takes up 1 of 4 USB slots constantly in my laptop (vs Bluetooth mouse can work with built-in bluetooth; however, I don't know how reliable is that)
- Application switcher not fast and smooth enough, so I rarely use it.
- Image zoom works in IrfanView 4.25, but doesn't work in Picasa 3.6.0 (under Windows XP).
- Back-Forward buttons are small for my liking; I prefer the huge buttons on the MS/Razor Habu ergonomics).
- Supplied USB cable is too rigid for mouse use. I use the cable of my Nokia phone, which is much softer.

In the box:
- Mouse
- Unifying transmitter
- USB cable with micro USB connector (cable also works with my Nokia phone, and can charge the mouse with Nokia charger)
- Power adapter has USB socket (compact size, works with the micro USB cable to charge the mouse or any other device, useful for overnight charging)
- USB extender cable (I've never used it)
- 2000 mAh AA NiMH battery GSYUASA EniTime (Sanyo eneloop style, keeps the charge)
- Soft carry bag for the cables (the mouse won't fit in this)
- Driver CD (outdated drives, download from a fresh copy)
- Quick manual

I tried with Windows XP/Vista/7, worked well with all of them.
I think all mouse sensors will switch to the Darkfield or similar technology in 5+ years; it is so good.
I cannot tell of the battery life yet, and didn't try it with games. Very clean glass surfaces need a few minutes to get to work (so the surface gets dusty), as the sensor uses the dust particles to track the position.
It can be used in parallel with a wired mouse on the desktop (ie two mouses connected at the same time).

This is really a "has it all" type of mouse. I recommend both for laptop and desktop use.
For laptops, I recommend it over the Logitech MX Anywhere mouse, as this one can be charged/used with the USB cable, and works on more surfaces than the MS Bluetrack range. Furthermore, the large-sized MS desktop mouses have a huge USB key style adapter, which are not comfortable for laptop use.
Products referred:
Logitech MX Anywhere Mouse (Tracks on Glass)
Microsoft Explorer Mouse with Bluetrack
Microsoft Habu Laser Gaming Mouse

Update (2011 Feb):
* My current Dell E4310 has merely two USB slots - so there is just one left for pendrive, webcam, external HDD, headset, card reader.
* Now I have Windows 7, works well.
* The middle button click in Firefox opens up a link in a new tab - somehow this only works after 3-4 click. I don't know if this is a problem with an addon in * Firefox, or a Mouse driver issue.
* I use one of the additional keys (Application switcher) to switch on off my 2nd screen, and the other auxiliary button (zoom) to move windows from one screen to the other. A great feature.
* Instead of charging, I just bring a box of four Sanyo Eneloop batteries with me when I travel, and swap when low on battery.
* Battery lasts about 2-3 weeks without switching off the mouse and daily use.

Update (2012 Jan):
The middle button click was erratic in all applications (but it seems I used it mainly in Firefox).
Logitech customer support told me to send the mouse back for warranty at the point of purchase.
There is a DIY method to fix it on Inscrutables.

Updated (2012 Apr):
Unfortunately, Amazon gives two years of warranty, which has just elapsed. No luck.

Update (2014 Jan):
The middle click button still was really disturbing, as I would use it more and more (a typical usage is to close tabs in Chrome/Firefox).
I ordered a new mouse, but the middle button had even more problems, so I have sent it back.
Otherwise, the mouse works well.
I use WinsplitRevolution to organize windows on a double screen setup, and I use "Zoom" button to move windows between screens, and the Application Switcher to minimize/maximize windows.

Update (2014 May):
The left mouse button failed. A 100 Euro premium mouse should not fail after only +/-four years of office use. My cheap totally old mouses function error free.
Reduced rating to two stars. Very disappointing.
55 comments| 80 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 26 April 2010
I was an early adopter of laser technology, I bought the first laser mouse Logitech MX1000 when it was released many years ago and it survived until recently when the middle button stopped working. Not a major breakdown, everything else functioned fine, but a significant problem for me nontheless.

Always reliable, I decided to go for Logitech again, and was very attracted to the very tiny Unifying USB dongle. A lot of people settle for a cheap mouse, you can get them for a few quid, but since it is something so important, something in constant use and so integral to computer use, I believe it is worth spending a decent amount on a mouse that does the job well. The Unifying dongle really is tiny. Once plugged into a USB port it sticks out maybe half an inch. This makes it ideal for laptops, it can just be plugged in and forgot about since it doesn't get in the way like the larger dongles.

The mouse itself is very ergonomically shaped to be as comfortable as possible, for right handed people at least. The thumb rests comfortably on a nice curved indentation, and there are 4 buttons easily accessed by a thumb press in this position. The mouse is quite light, so it glides easily across any surface. The new Darkfield technology means there are few surfaces that this mouse cannot be used on, even glass which I believe is a first for mice. Even on conventional surfaces, it is a noticeable difference in response. No stray hairs or clumps of dust have stopped this mouse yet, from day one the movement has been smooth and responsive.

The scroll wheel is a breath of fresh air. With a toggle button positioned below it, the wheel can either scroll incrementally like most mice, or it can be changed to a super-smooth free-scrolling mode which makes it easy to glide through large pages and just feels brilliantly light. It can also be pushed side to side to scroll through wide documents, a function I couldn't do without.

There are enough buttons to satisfy a gamer like me, and the smooth and light form makes an ideal gaming mouse. Using the Logitech Setpoint software you can even set a button to change DPI to make the mouse more or less sensitive depending on what you're using it for. Plus this software allows you to change any button on the mouse to function how you want it, and also program specific settings mean a button can do different things depending on the software you're using.

The mouse runs on a single rechargeable AA battery (included). The mouse can be charged via the packaged USB cable (which also has an adapter for a mains plug), but this causes no down-time at all, you can charge the mouse plugged in via USB while still using it.

This mouse is top of the range. If you want comfort, control and reliability from your primary method of input, then you can't go wrong with this.
VINE VOICEon 25 December 2012
This is a fantastic mouse, superbly weighted, comfortable in extended use, and extremely well designed. The configurable buttons are ergonomically placed for ease of use, the switchable scrolling is intuitive and quickly becomes a 'must have' feature. It glides around the desktop, and as it says, works on glass and other reflective surfaces.

The only significant drawback is the extremely poor battery life. It gets about 2 days per charge (which can be done at the wall socket, but I use the micro-usb cable connected to my monitor.) This is an issue even if you replace the provided rechargeable battery with your own, or use a standard non-rechargeable one.

I wanted a wireless mouse, and Logitech's mx was the best choice, using the same wireless usb port as my Logitech keyboard it still makes sense. What I didn't want was a cable on my desktop. I find myself connected far more than I would like, so two stars knocked off an otherwise excellent product. I would still recommend this mouse all in all, just be advised about the dismal battery performance.
44 comments| 17 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 2 January 2016
The Logitech Performance MX is one of the best mice I have ever used. It looks stylish, it's comfortable and so far it's reliable. I had been using the Logitech G400 for almost 4 years before I decided it was time for a new mouse. I loved the G400 because it was so comfortable to use which made it an ideal mouse for me (I use the computer for at least 8 hours per day) but my G400 was looking really grotty after so much use. I probably would have purchased anther G400 or even its successor, the G400s, had I found one, but it seems both of these excellent mice have seen been discontinued and replaced with the G402 which didn't appeal to me. I have a Microsoft Sculpt Comfort Mouse for travelling which is a nice mouse but a bit too small for me to use for 8 hours a day. I have used several cheaper mice that look a little like the Performance MX in terms of design and ergonomics and since it was on sale here for under £50 I thought I'd buy one.

I've never used the MX Revolution or the MX Master (which is the successor to the Performance) so I can't compare the Performance to either of these, but in its own right this is an excellent mouse. I could have bought the Master but with it being about £70 at the moment I couldn't really justify it and I prefer the styling on the Performance. The Performance is a fairly large mouse, it's probably a little bigger than the G400 which I was using before (I have attached a few comparison photos), so if you're interested in this mouse just be aware that you may need fairly large hands to operate it. My hands aren't the biggest and this mouse feels comfortable in them. I've been using it for a few days for hours and hours at a time and it is comfortable to use, the ergonomics on it are great though having used the G400 for 4 years I am still getting used to the new shape. The mouse has a nice weight to it too. It's not so heavy that you have to drag it across the desk, but it's not so light that you tap it and it moves. It's generally a really nice mouse to use for hours and that's important when using a mouse.

The Performance MX isn't exactly a button fest, but the buttons it does have are useful. I find the zoom button particularly useful being somebody who does a lot of Photoshop and zooming into images. Simply press the zoom button once and then scroll to zoom in and out. You don't even need to hold the button down or press any keys on your keyboard to scroll. That's really nice! The app switcher button is good too but can be a little hard to press with it being in the grip, but I guess that's a good thing because it means you won't press it accidentally. There are of course the usual backwards and forwards buttons which I never use and the scroll wheel has two settings - fast or slow. Those wanting buttons should probably look at the G700s which is basically a Performance MX but more optimised for gaming with programmable buttons and various other things, but for me the Performance has all of the buttons I could want and I love that zoom button.

If you buy this mouse make sure you download and install the Logitech SetPoint software from their website. This software allows you program the buttons to your liking but more importantly it alerts you when the batteries in your mouse are running low which is really helpful. I think my G400 could also use this software but I never used it, but I'm using it with my Performance MX because I can use it to see battery alerts and also because the only way to adjust the DPI of the mouse is through this software (unless you use the software to program one of the buttons on the mouse to adjust the DPI). My G400 had a DPI button on it and of course it was weird so I didn't need the software. The software has been updated to work with the newer versions of Windows. I'm using Windows 10 x64 and it works perfectly.

Lots of the reviews say this mouse works on anything, and it seems to! The sensor is great, it works fine on my mouse mat and my wooden desk. Haven't tried it on anything else though!

Of course, when the batteries are flat you can just plug in a data Micro USB cable and you can continue to use the mouse as a wired mouse whilst the mouse charges. This is a great feature from Logitech. Normally I don't buy wireless mouse because of the hassle of changing or charging batteries especially if like me you use the computer for hours per day, but this takes that problem away. However, the Micro USB cable provided in the box, whilst nice and long, is quite thick, which can mean that the cable doesn't always stay flat, raising your mouse off your mouse mat or the desk which can make using the mouse wired a little tricky. You could always use a thinner Micro USB cable or try to flatten the cable out a bit though - over time the cable will flatten itself out anyway (mine is still only a few days old at the time of writing). The idea is great but be warned you can't actually use the mouse unless the dongle is plugged in!

The battery life is good! It actually gets better the more you use the mouse. When I first got the mouse I could get about 18-20 hours out of it (or two solid days of computing). A month later, I'm still using the computer for the same amount of time each day (about 8-10 hours) but I only usually need to charge the mouse once per week. That's pretty good and because charging it as simple as plugging in a Micro USB cable I don't mind that at all. You can even charge the mouse using the USB cable when the computer is turned off, so I tend to charge it at night. At least I don't have to wait hours for batteries to charge or find new batteries every other day. The charge time increases too. At first mine took about 1-2 hours to charge, now it usually takes under an hour.

The biggest weakness with this mouse is its receiver and this is where it is starting to show its age I'm afraid. The mouse came out in 2009 which was before most desktop PCs and laptops had Bluetooth built in and therefore it uses a little USB dongle and cannot connect via Bluetooth a lot of newer wireless mice like its successor, the MX Master, or the Microsoft Sculpt Comfort Mouse I own can. On the positive side if you use a supported Logitech wireless keyboard you can use the dongle to connect that to your PC too which in 2009 was a great feature, but I don't use a Logitech wireless keyboard, I use a Microsoft Ergonomic Keyboard 4000 (I only tend to buy Microsoft or Logitech peripherals by the way!) I wouldn't mind using the dongle at all and using up a precious USB port but as others have commented if there are any obstructions between the dongle and the mouse the mouse is slow or doesn't work at all! For example initially I plugged the dongle into the back of my PC and the mouse was slow, so I plugged the dongle into one of the four USB ports on the front and it's much better now. I once plugged in a USB drive that obstructed the dongle and the mouse wouldn't connect at all.

If you have a monitor with USB ports on it, I recommend you plug the USB dongle into one of them so that you can reduce the obstructions between the dongle and the mouse and get much better performance especially given you can't use the mouse unless the dongle is plugged in, even if you have the mouse plugged into the Micro USB cable. Quite a lot of monitors have USB ports on them these days.

If you're travelling you need to be careful not to lose the dongle too as there isn't a slot on the mouse to store it in whilst you are travelling. If you have the USB cable plugged in too then you could argue that you're using two USB ports for one peripheral and in 2009 that was probably true but think of it like this - at least here in 2016 you can use the supplied Micro USB to also charge and connect other devices to your computer, for example mobile phones! Unplug your phone's USB cable and use this instead! (Unless you have an Apple device in which case, bad luck!) The supplied Micro USB cable is a data cable so you can use it to charge your devices and also connect them to the computer. I now use it to connect my Nokia Lumia 925 to my PC as well as charge my mouse!

To conclude, this is an excellent mouse, even some 7 years after it was released. It has a few small caveats for example the fact it even uses a USB dongle, the dongle reception and the fact the USB cable is a bit thick and if you don't have other devices that can use the Micro USB cable you will be using two USB ports for one device, but the mouse itself is really nice and one of the best I've used. Recommended!
review image review image review image review image
on 4 August 2016
My old 'State of the Art' Logitech wireless mouse of 15 yrs finally died!......I searched for ages re a replacement & decided on this one. V pleased that I did as it offers a huge array of definable, back &fwd/zoom/fast scroll/home page plus many more options. To be honest with the help of Logitech app. & I'm finding new options on a regular basis. Connectivity has been a breeze with the the USB dongle & battery life after a full charge seems to last me about 15 hours over 3 days before a recharge is required, & I do lots of graphic intensive work. The mouse itself is a sculptured masterpiece & fits my average hand extremely well.......I really enjoy using a product that looks SO good (I'm a graphic designer!) & the fact that it is such an upgrade on my old favourite is a real bonus.
Honest criticisms are simply personal..........a couple of buttons could 'feel' a little more positive, & personally I would like a device of a little more weight.......! Just me perhaps.
on 5 February 2016
This is the 3rd mx performance mouse that I have bought in recent years. I have worn one out after several years of heavy use and my wife also uses one.

When my MX finally gave up the ghost ,I initially replaced it with the latest Logitech MX master mouse Which I bought for a very reasonable £64.95 from Amazon prime. On receipt I found the mouse initially quite pleasing although the button placement was awkward ,however a real problem surfaced. I like to usevhyperfast scrolling and although the MX master supports this the scroll wheel was not balanced so the wheel would turn on it's own accord ,making the use of ratchet scrolling the only option ,so I returned the item.

I bought my MX performance from Warehouse deals for £33 itarrived in new condition. I opened the unifying software to pair my new mouse and off we went.

Customisation is the beauty of this device , I use photoshop and other imaging software for which this mouse is invaluable.All of the buttons can be programmed to perform various commmands I have myone optimised for image manipulation, my wife likes web browsing so hers is set up for that.

The programming is done very simply via the supplied software , multiple key strokes can even be assigned to a button . Program specific button assignment is also possible, a feature I use for photoshop, and another configuration for web browsing etc.

the MX has 4 thumb buttons plus the scrollwheel side to side function and a button behind the wheel. The mouse is large and very comfortable in the hand, and the replaceable rechargeable AA battery lasts me around 3 weeks. It can be charged whilst in use ,but I find it more convenient to pop a fresh battery in whilst I charge the supplied one.

Wireless unifying compatible
Very accurate
Highly customisable
Decent battery life
Fantastic scroll wheel
Works on any surface

For right handers only
Might be too large for people with small hands

A top of the range highly accurate ergonomic mouse for those who demand the best from their peripherals.
review image review image review image review image
I've had the previous Logitech VX Revolution Wireless Laser Laptop Mouse for years (3 1/2 years) and it proved extremely robust even when slung into an overstuffed bag. But it got to the point where the left and right buttons had to be clicked in a certain way to respond. The VX was really useful, but I've upgraded.
This new mouse is fantastic! Everything about the VX Revolution that didn't contribute to the smoothest experience has been improved! I'm going to sound biassed but I'm as critical of my tools as the next man, and this is a really good mouse (until they invent an eye-tracking mouse, of course).

* to switch between free running scrolling and click scrolling was a switch on the underside, now it is on top (and I find I change modes regularly. Why would you want to? To find your place in a document scrolling line by line or half page by half page [click mode], to race to the start or end [free mode]). Oh it's very useful to scroll sideways as well, but the VX worked exactly the same on this
* zooming in and out of web pages/ documents etc (needed because I have a 13.3" HD 1920x1080 screen, so things can get very tiny) I now touch a button with the side of my thumb and then use the scroll; on the VX my first finger didn't quite find it comfortable (though could still do it without changing hand position)
* the universal receiver really does stay in the laptop out of the way, which means I get the mouse out even on short train journeys because I don't do any faffing around with the receiver
* the "switch windows" button is easy to reach and use
* both the old mouse and the new are very good at tracking mouse movement on every surface I've tried

Is there anything wrong with this mouse?
* some people report a lag whilst it wakes up after going into battery saving mode. I've been using a wireless mouse for so long I don't notice - I've developed a little "pre-wiggle" to wake the mouse up before moving it, completely subconscious and I've only just noticed I do it
* you can still run out of desk space - oh, perhaps that is my desk not the mouse's fault
* it doesn't read my mind. I want it to click on the window I'm looking at so that when I type it appears in the correct document, but unless I touch the mouse, nothing happens. Oh well.

I'm pleased with this mouse, and I think you will be too. NOTE looks as though you can buy exactly the same model for £20 more - don't!
VINE VOICEon 8 August 2010
As an owner of the MX Revolution, I toyed with buying this when it first came out but the price put me off. The changes didn't justify the cost for me. Now it's come down in price, I've cashed in for no reason other than the USB charging.

The things I didn't like about the Revolution seemed to have been resolved:

No middle mouse button. They've achieved this by moving the function/search button to the thumb area and put the scroll selector in it's place.

The power supply. They've changed over to a USB charging method with a changeable Ni-MH battery. The chargetime is vastly improved over the Rev and the life from a charge also seems good to me so far. Maybe not quite as long as the life from Rev full charge but the fact that I can now charge and use really helps anyhow. The recharge lead is far too stiff though unfortunately and when I do use the mouse whilst charging accurate work is tough.

The lower wheel is gone. For me, I never used it anyway - Alt Tab was already there as the function.

My Rev was starting to look a bit rough on the side where the mate coating was wearing through. They look to have stayed with the same coat on on the new version so only time will tell if it's the case. Besides that, look have been improved and the mouse looks very well polished. The new aluminium thumb surround looks very impressive.

Has it been worth the upgrade? Yes, in a word. For something that I use everyday the price is easily justified and I wish I had bought it when it first appeared now. The Revolution was a tough act to follow but they've managed it. The 'Darkfield' feature does nothing for me neither does the stage pouch that they supply to hold the charging accessories. More cost justifying, maybe?
I've uploaded a snap of the mices for a size comparision if anyone needs a look.
review image