Format: DVD|Change

on 9 December 2009
I'll tell you what, Gwen, this omelette...erm, no....that's not right. Start again. This boxset is immense!:)

All three series, and the 2008 Christmas special, of the best, wittiest, most charming and romantic British sitcom ever made (in my humble opinion). Six million viewers can't be wrong. It is totally deserving of the awards and nominations it has picked up along the way, not limited to TWO Baftas (Audience Award and Best Comedy Performance for James Corden). So often a show can find itself overrated and over-hyped, but I honestly don't think Gavin & Stacey has been. Not one bit. I think it is all they say it is...and more.

For me the comedy comes from those around the two leads. Gavin and Stacey are very much foils for the crazy and lovable friends and families who provide the comedic elements. Rob Brydon's 'Uncle Bryn', Stacey's uncle, is just so funny it is untrue. While James Corden's 'Smithy', Gavin's best mate, is also hilarious. The dry 'Nessa', Stacey's best friend (played by Corden's co-writer Rush Jones) has to be seen to be believed. However, all the characters are funny...and I feel awful singling anyone out for individual credit. I'm struggling to find the words to describe in what way these characters are funny....I simply can't. It just has to be experienced. All I can say is that like 'The Royle Family', a lot of the comedy comes from mundane, every day conversations. And although it can be saucy and racy, I honestly can't remember a single expletive being uttered throughout the series. Certainly not the bad swear words anyway.

As regards the actual box set, well I can confirm that all the extras from the previous individual releases are all accounted for, so this is the most economical way to buy the complete Gavin & Stacey collection, IF you have so far managed to resit buying the individual series 1 and 2 sets, and the 2008 Christmas special, that is. If you have been buying those, then you're best off buying the standalone season 3 this contains nothing you will miss purchasing it that way. However, it is a pleasure to own the lot in one neat box set.

When they call this 'the complete collection', they mean exactly that. Series 3 was the last we will likely see of our two favourite families from Billericay and Barry Island. James Corden and Ruth Jones have said it will have to be a HUGE inspiration for them to make even another special, while another series is definitely out of the picture.

To summarise, it is tidy! And well lush! Just buy it, savour it, and hope that we'll see its like again.
77 comments| 173 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 10 August 2010
I didn't watch much of G&S when it was on terrestrial tv in the UK, but I decided to order it as a treat to watch whilst I'm out of the country for a few months. It's been one of the best purchases I've ever made. The writing and acting of the entire series is phenomemal - in one episode you can find black humour, farce, pathos and real characters.
James Corden and Ruth Jones are clearly not only incredibly talented, but they make an outstanding writing partnership - and on screen, they are equally brilliant. Rob Brydon as Uncle Bryn provides moments of cushion-biting hilarity and cringe, and Joanna Page and Mathew Horne make you root for their characters in a way that brings them to life. I've laughed myself silly, and cried my eyes out watching this show. The supporting characters are exceptional actors in their own right, and no one hogs the limelight. This is observational comedy at its finest.

The extras on this box set are also very good - particularly the interviews with James Corden and Ruth Jones, which show that they write from the heart - and the funny bone.

Can't recommend this highly enough.
on 17 February 2010
I suppose that it's a bit pointless writing a review for this remarkably successful sitcom as if you're thinking of buying it the chances are that you've already seen it and want to watch it again. Still, I think it's worth mentioning that if you are buying completely on spec and are expecting to be helpless with laughter at crude jokes and expletives, the staple of so much comedy these days, then you may well be disappointed.

Not that the series isn't funny of course but I believe that what makes it so good is the subtlety of its humour and its well rounded and likeable characters who are brilliantly observed. The pace, rhythm and timing of the shows is perfect, as is the beautifully written dialogue. There are several poignant moments which may well bring a tear to the eye and it is the inclusion of these which underlines the writing talent of Ruth Jones and James Cordon.

I picked up Gavin and Stacey during the Christmas special and promptly aqcuired series one and two. I found it impossible to let one episode end without watching the next one immediately afterwards and pretty well watched the whole lot back to back.

There are those out there who say that they `don't get it', but let me tell you that there's nothing to get. The show is what it is and I imagine that ultimately its audience will be divided into the categories of either `love it' or `hate it'. The writers have had the good sense to call it a day after the third series which, I felt, was not quite as strong as the previous two. Thoroughly enjoyable and surely a landmark in British television.
on 18 October 2011
Oh! Oh! I'll tell you what's occurrin, it's that you need to stop dicking about and buy this set. It's immense. And I don't just mean Gavin and my best mate, Stace, there's Gwen the Omelette, Dave Coaches, Doris the Gentlemen's Delight, Mick the Ladies' Delight, Pamela, Uncle Bryn and Jason (I'm passing no remarks about the fishing trip, so let it go), it's got Budgie, Dirtbox, Fingers, Chinese Alan, Dawn and Pete, big fat Sue and Japanese Margaret. Fair play, most of them you want to stay away from, if truth be told. Think of it as a price you gotta pay to get to me and Smithy. No, we're not compatible, if that's what's on your mind. I needed a break from John Prescott, alright? And they both likes their pies, as it goes - what's your point? As I said to Jagger when I worked as security on their last world tour, I'm a bit more than an attractive woman, Mick. I fought the good fight wherever I found it, and you don't want to hear about some of the places I found it. I takes comfort from that, always has, always will. Now get your hand off my frontal areas and be on your way. Fair dos, he did as he was told.
on 27 December 2009
The whole of Gavin and Stacey, all three series plus the two Christms specials, will become legendary, like Fawlty Towers.
Like Fawlty, they are stopping at the top of their game (I wish the Royle family had done the same!)

Series three deepens the characters without losing any of the freshness or pace. Recurring jokes are cleverly handled so that they are never overdone. New characters (Smithy's catatonic mother, Gavin's daft office colleagues) fit in beautifully.

The latest Christmas episode is bravely, unseasonally and triumphantly set on the beach.

The main focus is on the characers of course, but with the odd crazy fleeting background moment, like the queue of Elvis look-alikes all wanting a cappucino.

And can I say word of praise for Bryn's shorts? Their elasticated, draw-string waist was so.....Uncle Bryn!

So if you want to know what's occurin' with this product, I can tell you it is lush.
on 6 August 2010
Oh Amazon, whats occuring?
I cannot tell a lie, this product is lush,tidy and at the end of the day I would recommend it to everyone!
on 20 June 2012
I loved "Gavin & Stacey" from start to finish.

It is the story of the culture clash that occurs when a boy from Essex (Gavin) and a girl from South Wales (Stacey)fall in love. While things don't always run smoothly for the couple they are generally the sanest and steadiest characters in the show.
Around them swirls the hilarious antics of Pamela-Gavin's Mum, Bryn-Stacey's Uncle, Nessa-Stacey's best friend and Smithy- Gavin's best friend.

Kudos must go to the show's writers, James Corden and Ruth Jones(they also play Smithy and Nessa). They achieve a perfect mix of outright hilarity with occasional sadness.

Special credit in the acting stakes must go to Alison Steadman as Pamela and Rob Brydon as Bryn. In the wrong hands these "eccentric" characters" might have semed as ridiculous but instead they are endearing.

It was probably a good idea to finish the programme after three series as it is hard to maintain the high quality of writing but a big thanks for all the laughs we got from the series that were made.
on 28 December 2009
A good comedy with plenty of laughs and great characters. A love story, a bit of smut and 'Nessa' make this a must see compilation that you will watch again and again.
on 3 February 2010
At the age of 63 years I was beginning to think that truly great british comedy was a thing of the past. Gavin & Stacey proves that we have the talent to create unforgettable laughter. Great in every way.Gavin And Stacey - Series 1-3 And 2008 Christmas Special [DVD] [2007]
on 14 September 2010
I had never seen the series but had heard great reviews. Finally got around to buying the complete series and it was such great value for money. Loved it! Total Gavin and Stacey fan. Just wish there were more to watch. Have bought another for a xmas gift!