on 7 September 2017
great quality well received by history teacher daughter, using them in lessons
on 21 September 2017
interesting
on 6 December 2010
I bought this for several reasons:
1. I enjoy history and wanted to learn more about Britain's.
2. The price on the Amazon UK site was spectacular compared to the American site.
3. I do have dvd players that can play anything worldwide.

What I found:
This is a very good watch for those who are interested in but not a slave to Britain's modern history. Marr adds some bits of entertainment with costumes, anecdotes, expressions and such so as to enliven the piece. You can find other historical dvd sets that are so scholastic you almost want to take notes for the exam. This is easier but still informative. He recreates figures (that I, at least, found mostly obscure but may not be to others) and their stories as an prelude to the next event he will discuss. I found them mostly enjoyable. He does insert himself, in character and costume, for a few stories and uses some computer generated actions to push the story but that sometimes loses the sincerity of the project. He has an expressive, deep, narrative voice that helps to deliver the mood for each chapter.
Overall, this delves deeper than a primer but doesn't feel like a textbook.
Shipping to the US takes some time (a month) by regular carrier. And you might want to alert your credit card bank that you are purchasing from an online, overseas site.
on 15 January 2010
Frank, engaging, witty and fascinating account of modern Britain, this series is an absolute gem that will be watched again and again.
on 19 May 2016
Some of the finest popular television journalism we've ever had. Marr is a remarkable teacher: he has digested a huge amount of information and re-presented it here cogently and lucidly. Every teenager should spend some time getting to grips with how modern Britain has evolved. Difficult to think of a better way of doing it than in these twelve programmes.
on 16 May 2012
A wonderful box of tricks here, which teaches every generation some surprising new things about British life in the past century. Marr is a skilled and animated narrator, pulling out some dazzling gems from the dull volumes of our history books. Perhaps the last episode seemed a little cobbled-together, but that's probably because the future was still being made at the time of filming. I'd personally like to see Marr make a updated episode every decade or so, just to keep this fascinating story going.
on 3 November 2013
A fanatastic series that covers the whole of the 20th century in great detail and the events that shaped the United Kingdoom to where we are now. Made just before the financial crash it takes us from the death of Queen Victoria up to the Blair years of New Labour.

It picks out events from each decade or so of the 20th century to show how our country evolved and the series is brought to life by Marr's highly effective delivery style. I would recommend it throughly
on 16 December 2009
I did exactly the same thing as Dave Clews! Duh. You probably won't make the same mistake, as the description is much clearer now. The other good news is that Amazon will refund what it costs me to get the unneeded DVD back to them. Good attitude, people! Anyway, it tells you what I think about the product that I was prepared to pay double to get hold of it in the first place ... Enjoy.
on 30 November 2012
Andrew Marr putts across a clear and easy to understand history lesson of Britain.
It is not too in depth, but it will give you an understanding of why we are the way we are now.
if i had this told to me at school i would have been more interested in history.
It is also great way for those of us who like to remenise about the olden days.
What we thought was happening at the time is made clear to what was actually happening at the time.
It's good to watch and i w3ould buy another one for my brother this year.
Enjoy
on 13 February 2011
For me, this was as enjoyable the second time through as the first. I am amazed at how much history there is and how honestly presented it is, even the coverage of Maggie, in such a short series. In about 5 hours, enough of the evolution of cultural life is woven into the story to also feel the sea change in expectations and life style.

As an American, I was very pleased with the time spend developing the role of the USA, for good or ill, in modern British history. An American can watch this series without fear of being painted with too broad a brush.

Midway through the series, I was stuck with how much like James Burke, Andrew Marr manages to be. To me, this is a sincere complement.