on 21 November 2009
Our eldest (aged 6) was absolutely thrilled with this. It is sturdy, and comes with a guarantee that they will do all they can to replace any parts that ever go wrong, making a great environmental commitment. Even packed full it was well under the 10kgs hand luggage allowance and drew envious glances from kids (and some adults!) everywhere we went. The best bit was that the kids wanted to carry it themselves - result! Even at home we have been using it to store toys - the kids still enjoy riding on it and all in all was well worth the money.
11 comment| 92 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 3 April 2012
I wasn't sure whether to buy a Trunki for my son for our mid-week break next month, I couldn't decide whether i'd be wasting my money or not but it looked lovely and my 2 year old loves The Gruffalo so i went ahead and ordered.
It arrived this morning and i have to admit my first thought was that it was smaller than i had hoped and expected it to be, this was closely followed by wow (by me and my son). My son's face lit up when he saw the gruffalo trunki and he has spent the morning pulling it around the house.

It is lovely, very well designed, looks sturdy and I love the gruffalo features on it. Although its size was playing on my mind so while my son had his sleep and i went to test drive it and see how much i could fit inside it. As previously mentioned i bought this for a mid-week 4 night uk break we have planned next month, with a toddler we are going to have to take the usual plus toys and nappies and things so i thought the extra storage would come in handy and the trunki would be his suitcase for his clothes and toys.

Well I was hoping there! I was just about able to fit 4 days worth of clothes, underwear and a couple of pairs of shoes in there, i tried a couple of books and my son's beloved bunny but it wouldnt close. So i am going to have to eiather just use it for his clothes or use it for his toys and books instead, eiather way it will give us more space just not as much as I had originally thought.

However I can see this will get alot of use, it will be handy for overnight trips to grandparents houses (for clothes and toys) or days out visiting relatives (for toys and snacks)and it would be handy as a carry on for holidays for a child to put some toys in to keep them occupied on a plane. Its too nice to keep stored away so i think my son will be happy wheeling it around the house with his toys in.

So in short DON'T buy this hoping for a decent sized suitcase for your child - not sure it should be badged as a suitcase as it isnt that big. But DO buy it because it is lovely, your child will adore it and it is a decent sized general travel bag for short visits.

Smaller than i'd have hoped but still great!
on 4 January 2010
Just used this Christmas present on long haul flight. Very popular with the 3 year old. He can pull it like a dog on a lead or sit on it and be pulled along himself. Easily fits in overhead.
on 28 January 2010
We got this for our 2 year old for a long haul trip in May...It was delivered free, much sooner than we expected and for the cheapest price we could find! Usual great service from amazon!
The product itself is great, good size, lightweight and well made with excellent, well thought out features - from my point of view. But from a toddlers perspective it's just fantastic..my 2 year old loves the Gruffalo and when he saw this he was just besotted and has been riding around on it ever since, reciting all the Gruffalo's famous features!! It has been packed and unpacked and is now being used as an overnight bag for trips to Nana's! Needless to say it will be well broken in before we go on holiday but I'm sure it will definitely make our hours in the airport pass much more quickly and painlessly!! Thank you trunki...& Amazon!
on 22 August 2010
I thought long and hard before buying the Trunki "Gruffalo" for my three year old grandson Charlie.I had like thousands of others no doubt followed the Trunki idea from the Dragon's Den to seeing it advertised on various websites. After reading a few of the reviews and ending my exhausting search for the best price i took the plunge and bought of Amazon as it was the cheapest overall and i knew from past purchases delivery was free.After a few days the Trunki arrived in its well packed dedicated cardboard box which was very robust and the emerging "Gruffalo" was a sight to behold.The most user friendly suitcase ever for a young child with secret quirky fittings, strong locks and overall top quality materials used in this super strong case. Sticker set also enclosed to personalise your Trunki which i thought was a nice touch. Nothing to build or do just straight from the box and into service which i think will be long. This is not only a case for travel as my Grandson has not put it down since it arrived and keeps all his toys etc in it when travelling between Grandparents for sleepovers etc.
His eyes light up when it popped out of the box as he shouted "It's a Gruffalo Grandad" which alone made this one of the best purchases by far this year. Thank you Trunki and Amazon for a job well done and to all you thinkers out there who are worried this is not really for them, THINK AGAIN AND BUY you will be delighted with your purchase.
on 9 July 2010
My daughter loved having this for her holiday. She fitted loads of toys and clothes in for the flight. It was very easy for her to ride on and she loved having rides around the airport. It was very stable & very easy to pull along too.
TOP 50 REVIEWERon 18 May 2016
We've just been on holiday with my daughter and family and a couple of weeks before she mentioned that she'd ordered her son a Trunki from Amazon to use, I said if she'd asked me I would have told her not to bother since in my (admittedly limited) experience they don't work in airports.
Now I have to stay nothing has changed my opinion of this (more later) but the Trunki itself is fabulous, it held all his toys for the holiday, it looks cute and would be perfect for overnight stays and he likes it so much he uses it at home to move his toys around.
We tried it in the airport, sitting him on and pulling but I don't know if he was too young (he's two years old) I suspect he is, maybe it would work better with older children but after a couple of minutes it was being carried again.
While we were travelling I noticed two other trunki's and both were being carried by the parents and when you have other bags it's not necessarily the easiest thing to carry.
My only other experience with these was a few years ago when a group of us met up in France for a birthday, the ones with older or no children drove and took the bulk of stuff required including cake, decorations etc the ones with young children flew over. Two of these had trunki's and long story short we brought them back in the car with us since apparently it had been a nightmare trying to navigate two children, two trunki's plus hand luggage through the airport and was "never to be repeated" so while I now think the Trunki's are fabulous I would never take one through an airport again and while you could argue that maybe my grandson is just too young our friends children were older and so were the ones in the airport and I've yet to see one not being carried.
So in my opinion the Trunki is great, it holds more an expected and looks cute but I wouldn't personally advise anyone to take one through an airport, if you do I'd advise you to use the free check in option available for cabin bags.
on 15 July 2016
I have always loved Trunki but have found the quality has dropped on my latest purchase. I actually emailed Trunki to check that the product I had purchased was genuine because it didn't feel the usual quality and it is genuine. Trunki told me that the change in manufacturing was due to their production being brought back to the UK from China. I hope that they can find some way to resolve the issue of the internal elastic simply being wedged under the seal of the Trunki where it was previously screwed in place.
on 14 June 2016
bought for my 4 year old as i will be travelling with two small kids under 5, and do not intend on using a double buggy for the both of them to travel in between airports etc. have not used it just yet but my 4 year old has been sitting on it and packing her things into it , in anticipation of her upcoming trip. seems sturdy enough and like that it came with stickers so she could personalise her own trunki. the lock is a good idea, and stops her randomly or accidentally opening the trunki while she is sitting on it. size is good enough for her on flight essentials with a change of clothing if she needs it. would repurchase.
on 16 October 2010
I bought this for my 3 year old son. Thought it looked great but when I examined it I thought it was a bit tatty. Edges did not line up that well when I closed it and plastic seemed very cheap also there was chip out of front of it which I was upset about. I decided to keep it as we were going away and my son thought it was great. He loved pulling it along and was great for him to sit on during airport queues, plenty of room for all his bits and pieces inside and easy to push, pull or carry.