Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
I have been a user of an electric toothbrush (Braun) for years, and I know my dentist recommends this over manual brushing. I thought this Philips product would be ideal for my family, as I have 2 children aged 4 and 11. After using it for a week, I am generally quite impressed, but there are a few points for a potential buyer to consider.

Pros:
- Seems a good quality product - decent materials, feels solid and well put together
- Brush is colourful and attractive
- Rubberised grip is easy to hold
- Controls are easy to understand - one button to change between gentle and stronger vibration, one for on/off
- My dental hygenist tells me that this type of 'sonic' brush is the most effective type currently available
- The timing feature, which issues a little electronic tune to tell the child when to move on to a new part of their teeth, really works in helping instill a good brushing routine
- Different toothbrush sizes suit smaller and larger teeth/mouth

Cons:
- Interchangeable covers are a bit gimmicky. They are adhesive, so I suspect they would not stand up to constant changing and would eventually fall off if treated this way. Fine if your kids are happy to settle on one colour and stick with it.
- Stand only has holders for 2 brushes, so if you have 3+ kids, other brushes will just have to lie around
- The brush vibrates extremely fast (which is why it is effective) but my youngest simply finds this too tickly and consequently (after initial enthusiasm) is now refusing to use it. Consider carefully before buying for a very young child. Not the sort of thing a shop will let you "try before you buy", so unless you have a friend who has one, it's just a judgement/risk you need to take

One final point of information. If you have not had an electric toothbrush before, they all seem to come with a 2-pin plug, and this is no exception. I assume this is for plugging in to a bathroom shaver socket, but if you do not have one you will need a two-to-three pin plug adapter before you can charge it.
22 comments| 351 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 24 September 2009
Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
My son is eleven and he loves this product. He appreciates the buzzer to tell you to switch "quadrants" whilst brushing. Cleaning is excellent. He has used it religiously now for two minutes twice a day since we got it over a month ago and the novelty has not worn off. We will have to change the brush head soon and I would like to see the option to buy only the larger size rather than a pack with one we can't use. He liked the option to choose your colour scheme - has settled on one now after initially trying them all for a few days each, they seem to re-stick without any problem. Brush head covers are a great idea in general and particularly when travelling, as is the fact that you can take the charger without having to take the whole base.

This product stopped working after 12 months!
Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
This had instant appeal for my two girls (aged 6 and 7) because of its bright funky colours and interchangeable fascias, and also because it was just like Mummys! Included in the package you'll find the toothbrush handle (which must be charged on the base unit for 24 hours), two toothbrush heads (one suitable for ages 4 and over, the other for the over 7s). , and three fascias to choose from. There is also quite a detailed instruction sheet.

Unlike my grown-up Sonicare, this one doesn't roll around when you lie it down flat which makes it easier for small people to put on the toothpaste themselves. A good idea! Never mind what it looks like, and how easy it is to put the toothpaste on though. The key thing with a toothbrush is how well it cleans teeth. Well, my children and I all agree that this gets 5 stars! There are two settings (selected by the bottom button), a gentle one for younger children/learners, and a more intense one for experts. We've started on the gentler one, and I think it is a good idea to ease gently into using an electric brush. My girls are happy for me to clean their teeth for them using this - much happier in fact than when I've been using an ordinary brush. At intervals, the toothbrush plays a little tune to tell you to move on to a different part of the mouth, and then when all four areas are covered, you get a longer tune and the brush turns itself off. The toothbrush gradually increases the time spent brushing over the first few uses until you are at the 2 minutes recommended by dentists. My girls have also been keen to try out cleaning their teeth on their own, and I was impressed by how easy it was for them - easier than a manual brush. I think it is because you don't need to make such vigorous movements or scrub so hard with an electric brush, instead letting the brush do its work. When not in use, the toothbrush heads can be stored on dedicated plastic pegs on the charger itself, and if travelling, you can just take the charger bit and leave the larger plastic section with the pegs on behind. Incidentally, the charger also charges my adult Sonicare brush (quite a new model though - won't work with older ones).

As with most items of this type, replacement brush heads don't come cheap so the ongoing costs of these need to be considered, particularly as you should replace the heads every three months. Here are the links to the relevant brushes on Amazon so you can see what the cost will be.
Philips HX6032/05 Sonicare For Kids Brush heads
Philips HX6042/05 Two Replacement Brush Heads - Red and Blue

This product is very child friendly and makes what can be a tricky job much easier to do properly. Never before have I seen my daughters sprinting up the stairs with enthusiastic cries of "come on Mummy, let's go and clean our teeth" . Definitely recommended and five stars from us.

*I will update this review when we have next seen the dentist to see what he thinks about the state of my daughters' teeth.
on 20 September 2012
I think all Sonicare brushes are inherently flawed in their design. I think they basically shake themselves to pieces.

Here is our history with Sonicare - please be assured we treat them well, they are not dropped or thrown about or used as a replacement for any DIY tools such as a hammer!

£150 on one for me - broke within 6 months, replaced by Amazon
Replacement one broke within 11 months - replaced by Amazon
Replacement one broke 18 months later - NOT replaced so had to purchase another one - chose the cheapest one they did this time

£150 one for my wife - broke after 9 months - replaced by Amazon
Replacement one broke after 15 months - Amazon would NOT replace so we purchased the cheaper version (around £50) and that has lasted this time

Kids one (as above)
£50 purchased Oct 2010 - broke and replaced in August 2011.
£50 purchased another for my eldest daughter in August 2011 as well
The one that we had replaced on Aug 2011 has now just broke - can't fix it and we're a month behind the return period

So...
PROS
It cleans your teeth

CONS
Expensive, flawed design, will cost you a fortune in replacing them until you finally wake up and realise that Phillips must know about this and just rely on them lasting more than 12 months. Phillips have ignored all my emails asking for replacement units as they are simply not fit for purpose.

AVOID
on 15 January 2011
I bought this toothbrush for my 2 year old, who often refused to open his mouth for a regular toothbrush and even when he did open up he'd clamp down on the brush to suck the toothpaste off and would refuse to let me actually brush his teeth. This toothbrush did the trick. He loves the vibration and the musical notes it plays and I'm finally able to get at his teeth for a few seconds at a time! The product is aimed at kids 4+ but don't let that put you off. It's brilliant for smaller kids too.
TOP 100 REVIEWERon 13 August 2014
My daughters have been using this brush for around a month now and I have to say it has been a great success.

Prior to this device, we had all sorts of problems getting the girls to brush their teeth for anything longer than 30 seconds (particularly the youngest daughter). We tried brushing with them, doing it for them, letting them choose their own brushes and even trying a brush-along app on my phone; no lasting success.

Since this brush arrived there has been no problems at all. The kit arrived with two brushes perfectly suited to the girls' ages and the musical tones for quadrant-shifting and the pleasant reward tune at the end have all helped.

There are a couple of minor points: the brush is best powered-on with the brush-head in the mouth, otherwise the intense vibration flicks the paste on the floor (or on their clothes); I found it best to squirt the toothpaste right down into the bristles rather than letting it sit on the surface of the brush (which is how the girls apply the paste).

I don't think the 'colourful' panels are much fun for girls; they're not quite masculine, but do lack a certain Je ne sais quoi for my daughters.

I've had several Sonicare brushes and 2 have been returned and replaced under a two-year warranty; I note this has the two years and whilst I hope it lasts that long, if I only get two years' use I'd buy another because the really are the best.
on 24 February 2014
It is the marmite of toothbrushes - you either love it or hate it. It vibrates a lots which some people find annoying and unpleasant on the gums. I have one child who loves it, and one who will only use the Oral B circular electric toothbrush. The cleaning of the sonicare is outstanding, and the childrens' dentist says the teeth of my child who uses the sonicare are much much cleaner with healthier gums, than the one who uses the oral B toothbrush. I have tried the sonicare myself, and sadly I too fall in the 'hate the sensation' category, but if you can get used the feeling the cleaning is unrivalled. It's best to start them young on this one, and get this first, before they get used to another brand of electric toothbrush.
on 6 June 2011
The toothbrush arrive very promptly and my kids are made up with the it. It doesn't move like an adult toothbrush however, but I suppose that's because that kind of action is not good for young teeth. The music timer system means that my daughter now brushes her teeth the desired 2 minutes instead of the customary 30 seconds which is another plus.I only bought 1 toothbrush for 2 kids and I am now wondering if it would be worthwhile buying another so they can both clean their teeth at the same time.
on 19 September 2009
Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
At last, a toothbrush which is designed to improve the oral health of the 4-11 yr age range. 2 levels included 4+ and 7+ and appropriate heads also included in the box.

Very easy to use, sensible features such as timer, musical encouragement and auto switch off, together with the advanced technology of Sonicare. The brush was easy to handle, with a good grip for smaller hands. Easy to put toothpaste on too as there is a 'lip' to stabilise when horizontal. It also has interchangeable fronts to suit (yellow, blue, black).

My 4 year old used it straight out of the box, no instructions needed, though her Dad did enjoy the reading of all the sciencey bit! I love the way she is encouraged to bruch (with help) in each quadrant by the musical melody.

Needs 24 hour charge, but lasts ages. Toothbrush heads need replacing every 3 months approx.

Highly recommended.
on 8 January 2015
My 8 year old loves this toothbrush and I am sure it does a much better job keeping his teeth clean than a normal brush. The charge lasts for ages, only seem to have a charge it twice a month. The replacement heads and fairly cheap. He loves the fact he can change the design and he uses both of the set time settings to give them a good clean. Fab, would definitely recommend.