Format: DVD|Change

VINE VOICEon 12 May 2011
The last Disney Princess to be introduced was in the mid 90s. Soon after this time it started to feel like Disney had lost some of their magic. They started to put out a lot of rather average animated films and unoriginal, uninspiring sequels (The Little Mermaid II: Return to The Sea, Cinderella III: A Twist In Time, Beauty & The Beast: Belle's Magical World etc). A lot of adults had given up hope and most children had turned to CGI films. So when it was announced that Disney were going to release a new animated film and introduce a new princess in 2010 the world knew they needed to pull something special out the bag.

In February 2010 I took my daughter to see The Princess & The Frog at the cinema (we have since also purchased the DVD). I was left with one big question - who loved it more, me or my 4 year old!? The story, the characters, the animation, the songs - all spot on.

Let's start with the story. The story was so much different to what I expected - I expected to sit through 97 minutes of the popular fairytale 'The Frog Prince' (Princess kisses the frog and he turns into a handsome prince. The end) but boy, was I wrong! It wasn't a predictable storyline, even for adults, and had twists and turns all the way through. There was plenty of suspense, plenty of laughs and plenty of emotional scenes - the only way Disney know how!

The film includes 7 original songs. It had been a long time since I had seen a new Disney film (or any kids film for that matter, with the exception of Enchanted) with singing and dancing in it, so this was quite a treat. Many of the songs were a mixture of jazz, blues and zydeco and were really catchy (I saw more than a few toes tapping in the cinema!) - they really captured the mood of the film perfectly. There were also a couple of slow songs sung by Anika Noni Rose (the voice of Tiana, best known for her role in Dreamgirls) who has a beautiful voice and makes for easy listening.

All of the characters are likable from the moment they are introduced. My personal favourites include Louis the alligator (imagine a huge alligator with a big heart and a love of trumpet playing!), Ray the firefly (a hillbilly bug who's in love with a star!) and Mama Odie (an old blind lady that dabbles in voodoo and lives in a boat up a tree!). I also think Dr Facilier is one of the best Disney villians ever, everything is sinister about him - his looks, his walk, his talk and his connections with the dead. Yet this voodoo con man still manages to draw unsuspecting victims into his scams with an odd mix of charisma and manipulation.

Tiana is a lot different to earlier princesses such as Snow White and Aurora. She doesn't sit around in forests waiting for her prince to whisk her away - she's definitely a 21st century girl. Tiana is strong willed, hard working and determined, with good values and a heart of gold. She's a good role model for young girls. Prince Naveen on the other hand is spoilt, lazy and has never done a hard days work in his life. Sure he's handsome, fun loving and full of charm but he has no grasp of responsibilities and is somewhat shallow. It was good to see the relationship of these two opposites develop throughout the film.

The animation is brilliant and just how a proper Disney film should be. I don't have a problem with CGI as such but everybody knows that all Disney classics are in 2D hand drawn animation. Everything looks so unmistakably Disney.

The Princess & The Frog is classified as a U and is suitable for everybody to watch. There are a few spooky scenes featuring Dr Facilier but nothing scary enough to avoid the film.

The extras on the DVD are quite average and include audio commentary, deleted scenes (which are drawings rather than actual scenes from the film, along with lots of talking), a princess portrait game (where you have to guess which Disney princess the fireflys are making) and a Ne-Yo video for 'Never Knew I Needed' which is played over the end credits of the film (an unnecessary extra in my honest opinion).

Will this remembered as a Disney classic? Well only time will tell. But The Princess & The Frog has all the makings of a Disney classic so I can't see why not!
on 7 February 2010
I thought this film was excellent and had been looking forward to taking my three and a half year old for weeks! Visually, the film was 'old school' animation but included some psychadelic sequences which were impressive. The voodoo character and the spirits he conjours are spooky and my daughter was a bit scared of them but not enough for me to be worried - and they weren't in the film that much.
The princess character was in frog form for the majority of the film which led to my daughter asking on several occasions when she was going to be human again, but it was kind of the point of the film - looks aren't everything.
The supporting characters were brilliant - Charlotte the spoilt but sweet rich girl, Louis the jazz-loving alligator and Ray the lovesick firefly. I particularly loved Mama Odie who wasn't in it enough for me. There were several laugh-out-loud moments and it was quite fast-paced so neither of us got restless.
It was good to see a black lead character (even though she was actually green for most of the film) and great to have a princess who's feisty and independent rather than a victim waiting to be rescued - a much better role model for young girls, I think. Overall it was a fantastic film and I can't wait for it to come out on DVD.
on 14 April 2016
I hate how Disney tells you it's cartoons are Classics. The audience and time will decide. However, this is a good story for all ages. Well >7 because it does get dark and spooky. For once not too yucky (like "Frozen", bleh!). You can always mute the sound for the sing-along saccharine Disney feel obliged to add so that they can sell song books etc.

The animation is great, the story is great and original, the characters are not too oozing with wit and repartee.

A feckless Prince, too full of himself for his own good, has been kicked out by his parents to make his own way in the world. A young woman works every minute she can to scrape up money for her own restaurant. The prince gets turned into a frog by the Voodoo bad guys in the Noo-awleens town. The young woman goes to a birthday ball that the super rich daddy of her best friend "dun thro'" for his little princess and is turned into a frog by the frog.

All perfectly normal so far - now buy it and view on
on 22 November 2014
This is a lovely Disney film... Great music, funny script and stylish animation. Shame it seems to have flown under the radar as it's right up there with the Aristocats and the Jungle Book in my opinion. Also by far one of the better heroines that they've managed to produce... Tiana has gumption and wit.
on 28 February 2013
We saw this on TV because we were too tired to think and we expected a sentimental easy-watch. In fact, it's witty, edgy and often beautiful. It may be over the heads of a few UK children, with Deep South language at times, but kids who enjoy 'Lord of the Rings' should have no problem! (And we've met ten year olds who do.) We liked the Art Deco dream sections, the silly little Southern belle with the heart of gold and the feisty heroine, but the villain... and the demons... are nasty! (We're glad to say.) They reminded us of the demons in 'Ghost'. We won't mention a lot more or we might spoil it, but the bayou is great, all the acting excellent, and we shall watch it a lot, with or without children.
on 10 February 2016
A very under rated film. The songs are very sing song worthy and there's a clear message of living life for life and not material things. It does have some scarey scenes with the baddie casting voodoo type of spells and his ultimate demise and one of the lovable main characters dies, so please bare this in mind when considering buying this for a child (take their personality into consideration). The princess is feisty and independent.
on 21 February 2013
I always wanted to get this for my daughter, mainly because of the historical factor that the main Walt Disney charactor was non-white for the very first time. In addition to this my daughter is very girly and loves anything to do with Princesses and magic. I loved the links with Voodoo as it showed the dark and light of Voodoo. The fact that the main charactor was a strong, independent person with ambition and highlighted the need to balance the drive and hard work with the love and support of someone special. She is a positive role model to all children. We all love when 'love conquers all' and it did.
on 24 May 2015
I'm NOT a fan of Disney but my daughter loves Disney Princesses! I have to say the modern Disney does seem to try and empower girls compared to their 50's counterparts (Snow White, Cinderella for example). However, with that said my daughter still says when she grows up she's going to be a princess - before Disney was introduced to her she wanted to be a doctor!

Back to the movie: The music is great, not annoying and can't wait for it to stop / them to stop singing variety (although Disney is very good at making the music part of the movie - like another character). Plus, there are some superb one liners. Adults and kids can enjoy this one.
on 17 September 2015
Another Disney Classic!

I bought this to free up space on my Sky + box as my daughter would not let me delete it. It's a nice film, very enjoyable, but there are a few frightening bits for younger children. Shadowman's minions are quite scary, but that's how they are menat to be - voodoo isn't really a family friendly pastime.

All in all well worth adding to my collection!
on 5 January 2011
Don't know why this film isn't more celebrated - easily as good as Beauty&Beast. Loved the ethic (wish on a star + hard work = success), the drawings & colours (especially the voodoo spirit things), but most of all the music (jazz/blues with a bit of boogaloo). Personally, I didn't think the voodoo-master was any more scary than any wicked witch in any Disney film - though interestingly he isn't defeated by the hero's goodness, but by his own even more evil masters.

Have a sneaky suspicion that the reason it didn't hit the big time is because the heroine is black, which is plain wrong. Absolutely top class film.