Having spent too much time barely able to move with lower back pain and every step producing deep aches and other movements leading to agonising muscle spasms which made me yelp or gasp aloud, I initially didn't have much faith in a TENS machine. It really couldn't make much difference, could it? So, I hobbled on painfully, rubbing a variety of deep heat and anti-inflammatory gels into my back which made no noticeable difference at all followed by an uncomfortable and constrictive lumbar support belt. Then I gave in and tried the TENS machine - and what a fool I'd been to wait so long.

I attached the 4 pads to my lower back, switched on, fiddled around with the settings and felt a few tingly pins and needles sensations crawling around my back. On ramping it up to a higher setting, the TENS quickly began to take effect and the pleasant tingly sensation seemed to over-ride the painful spasms, masking the pain with a massaging effect. It was surprising how quickly it worked and how effective it was.

I found the best setting for my persistent lower back pain to be pain gate' program 'F', at about 25mA and it gave me back my freedom. I won't be going for long hikes but it meant I could walk shorter distances, ie up to 2 hours, sit reasonably comfortably and switch off the pain - and all without the use of pills and their unpleasant side-effects.

I am converted. Until recently, I'd been borrowing my husband's TensCare itouch Easy TENS Machine (see my review) which he swears by and, having seen how it's helped him and the benefits I've felt when borrowing it, have now bought this iTouch Tens Plus for myself.

Both models are very similar: they are discreet to use measuring 10x5x3cm approx with a convenient belt clip cradle. It's simple to use - just place the 4 electrode pads around the affected area, plug them in and find which of the 8 pre-programmed settings work best for you then adjust the power until it gives the best pain relief. There are 8 programs to choose from, all with adjustable intensity to offer a pain block and/or endorphin release. The iTouch Plus model has a further two fully-customisable settings to tailor to your own specific requirements and preferences. This model also has a digital clock, 3 alarms and a memory setting to record how long it's been used for. Initially, the tingly or massaging sensation feels a little strange at first but is quickly accommodated and the machine can be worn throughout the day and overnight. The electrode pads can be used several times - my husband uses his for about a month before they lose their adhesion (or pick up too many hairs from his back!) and cheap replacements are readily available which are just as good as the branded versions: 12 x Superior Tens Electrodes pads, replacements (3 packs of 4), 2" x 2" 5x5cm 50x50mm

The iTouch Plus really does work and I recommend it anyone suffering from lower back pain.
on 19 March 2014
This TENS machine was by far one of my best purchases. It is quite portable and easy to operate. It provides you a number of pre-programmed therapies which also facilitates a lot. And also a timer, a locker, and a holder to accommodate the unit, so that you can move at easy while receiving the treatment. I've been using this TensCare for a while and would recommend it without hesitation. Great value!
on 18 February 2012
I think the instructions are simple but applying it to the tens machine the response is not the same as instructed. The pads did not last lomg. After 4 sessions of about 2 to 5 hours, the machine indicates that something is wrong with the pads. Then there is no charge on the pads. I have to buy new pads.
on 24 March 2010
Couldnt recommend this more, well worth the money. Couldnt have got through 3 days of early labour at home without it. Got to 6cm dilated with just this and then just gas and air afterwards and I think that this really helped with my labour!!!
on 18 December 2012
I bought this for my wife for her back , she is also pregnant at the moment so I wanted a TENS machine that she could also use in pregnancy. She found it worked brilliantly, not just for her acute pain, but it also reduced her ongoing pain. It is really useful to have the 2 outputs for thr 4 pads, to get a good area coverage too.
The instructions are straight forward and you have to read them well first, so that you get the right setting, but after that it's just about a bit of trial and error.
The pads are reusable for a good while if you take care of them and we are still using our first set although i ordered some spares.
I was so impressed i've bought one for my mother- in-law for her knee for xmas.
There are some good diagrams on the net for pad placement and what else you can use it for.
I would definitely recommend it to anyone wanting a TENS machine.
on 5 November 2013
It's not a bad item but the instructions are rubbish - there's a diagram that shows you the position of the 4 pads for treating back pain but no indication of how to connect it - which leaves you the choice of the current running vertical between the pads, across between the pads or even crossways !

I queried this but got a poor response that plainly indicated it was the sellers best guess, not informed fact....
on 17 May 2014
I have used various tens machines in the past, I think that this one is by far the best one I have used.

Pro's two channels that can be seperately adjusted, able to make your own settings, takes AA batteries which are easy to obtain, good display that has back lighting.

Con's Had my first one stop working but Amazon sorted that very quickly, you will always get one bad apple. The handset is quite weighty, if you were to use the belt clip you would need to be wearing jeans!!!
on 10 February 2012
This was quite a lot of money but well worth it. I have used it through 2 labours and have leant it to a few of my friends. It definitely helped me to manage the pain of early labour while I was still at home (my second labour was about 15 hours stage one and 20 minutes stage 2).
I can't believe it just runs on standard AA batteries, which is handy as they are easier to get hold of. The only thing I didn't get on with was the timing function which is supposed to measure time between contractions and length of contraction. It seemed a bit inconsistent, but I suppose that could have been my fault in my deranged state of labour! Make sure you read the instructions properly well in advance as you won't have the concentration during labour. You can buy replacement electrode leads with the sticky pads to use again.
on 19 February 2014
a lot cheaper than Boots used to sell,and works well for purpose.would recomend to anyone suffering back pain through arthritis.
on 26 November 2013
have only been using this a short while and already noticing a difference in the pain and movement in the affected areas.