on 17 July 2001
This is the braveheart film soundtrack. I do not exaggerate when I say that this is a classic of composed theatrical soundtracks. It is not one that can only be fully expreienced by seeing the film, if you think that you may like this and have an appreciation for classical music then do yourself a favour and buy it. I guarantee that you will not be disappointed. It's melancholic, soothing symphonies will literally send a shooting tingle down your spine. You may wonder why I praise it so and yet it only recieves four stars. Because it has one minor and present set-back. There is not much variety from track to track. Most of them may seem different to start with but they soon dissolve into "A Gift of a Thistle" and this is a very frequent occuracne throughout the collection. But a very minor one - don't let the aformentioned put yourself off. It still is superb but I think that only the truly exceptional should recieve that fifth star. But don't miss out.
on 6 February 2004
I've always loved soundtracks and this is no exception. The tunes just keep taking me where I want to be, whenever I want to be there. It reminds me I shouldn't be sitting around doing nothing when there is so much in the World to see and do. This is one for everyone.
on 6 November 2000
Believe me when I say that this is the soundtrack to THE movie of the nineties. It is awe-inspiring and truly emotional. It could drive a grown man to tears with its sombient bagpipes and atmospheric flutes. My advice, BUY IT NOW!
on 24 August 2004
i don't know about anyone else but i can't listen to this music without coming close to tears, it soothing but haunting at the same time, and somehow it also fills me with hope. nothing else could compliment such an emotionally powerful film such as braveheart in such a fantastic way is this soundtrack has. if you liked braveheart, if you wish for music that is soothing and inspiring, look no further
TOP 500 REVIEWERon 19 February 2015
Its such sad news about the death of James Horner, and if you are a film fan or not, there is one thing we can all agree on and that is this man made beautiful music, and at one point we have all heard his work, because he was involved in some of the best movies ever made, from Titanic, Glory, Field of Dreams, Perfect Storm, Avatar, A Beautiful Mind, Apollo 13, Cocoon, and last but not least Braveheart, and for all film fans you can recognise his work straight away, and for me Braveheart was his best, and all I can say, this album is just stunning, and if you love his work like I do, then buy this CD, you get 77.56 minutes of pure joy, shame there wont be more to come.
88 comments| 2 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 3 February 2004
This is one of my favourite music albums i own. Whether you have seen the film or not, this music is beautiful and relaxing.
The use of Irish Bag pipes (not Scottish) gives the music a very delicate and soft edge. You can listen to this music on its own or do something and have the music in the backgound. I listen to it when I'm working and revising and it helps.
If you've seen the film this album may even bring a tear to your eye if you remember the scenes that go to the music.
All in all a brilliant soundtrack, a must own item.
on 27 November 2014
Absolutely fantastic. As someone who used to be in an orchestra I very much appreciate orchestral music and a film score such as this brings it into its own. When the kettle drum starts you know its a part in the film where something bad is about to happen LOL. VERY Realistic. I listened to it through headphones which makes it OOTW (out of this world). If you loved the movie and its haunting music then you will REALLY love the soundtrack. The London Symphony Orchestra are fab
on 19 February 2004
This soundtrack never tires, with excellent authentic cultural music from Scotland. This soundtrack always takes me where I want to go, and back to the inspiring story that is Braveheart. The bagpipe tunes are absolutely heart-wrenching, and always give me goosebumps. I hardly ever feel that the music is just a fill-in like so many other soundtracks which are just backing tracks. This soundtrack is more than a backing, and of course it is what takes us to the Highlands in this film. Anybody who is interested in cultural music and enjoys beautiful Scottish traditional sounds must get this. I give it my complete confidence.
on 14 February 2013
We enjoyed the film and thought wouldn't it be great just to listen to the sound track and just relax and float away with it. Really nice, suits our taste very well. Only thing we could say that is a negative is we find is it seams to have been recorded on the disc a bit on the quiet side which means you need to have your volume up a few notches (2 or 3 that's all) but don't let this put you off, we love it and we are sure lots of other people will too. Its a great sound track just like the two others we bought at the same time.
on 31 August 2014
I purchased this CD for the sound of the Uilleann Pipes which incidentally had not been invented by the time of the film's depiction.
They were developed in the 18th Century and are used in 'Braveheart' for effect.
However, for those who think Gibson played to an American audience when he uttered that immortal word 'Freedom' think again and remember the Declaration of Arbroath in 1320 ... for as long as but a hundred of us remain alive, never will we on any conditions be brought under English rule. It is in truth not for glory, nor riches, nor honours that we are fighting, but for freedom - for that alone, which no honest man gives up but with life itself.
An excellent soundtrack that makes for very relaxing music and a must have for every Celt.
Highly recommended.