Colour Name: Black|Change

VINE VOICEon 30 December 2010
I use the Garmin foot pod with my Garmin Forerunner 410, it provided valuable addition data such as my running cadence (the number of steps per minute) and provides distance and speed information when there is no GPS signal available, namely when in the gym or on a treadmill. It works reliably and appears to be really surprisingly accurate. It also synchronises with the Forerunner 410 reliably and in seconds.

The foot pod is small, in fact the same size as a Nike Plus device and will fit in a Nike plus holder in your training shoe. It comes mounted on a quick release harness that fastens to the running shoe by the laces. This seems secure enough although I confess I use a Velcro Shoe Pouch when outside, the quick release harness hasn't yet earned my trust.

So why only three stars? Well, when describing the cost of the Garmin foot pod I toyed with the words `amazing' and `eye-watering' but these didn't really cut it and I was finally forced to resort to `astonishing'. The Nike+ Sport Kit retails for around £20 and is essentially the same technology and that would seem to be a reasonable price for this unit, even £30 may be reasonable. You would need to be really serious about running to invest in this foot pod at this price.

So to sum up, technically the foot pod is excellent, reliable and accurate, commercially - what were they thinking? At £40 I'd award it four stars; at £30 I'd give it five stars.
88 comments| 113 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 2 January 2014
If you have a Garmin watch, run, and use the Garmin Connect site to track your workouts once they're uploaded then this device is most definitely worthwhile, especially if you like your stats and analysing your runs.

I have the Forerunner 310XT already coupled with a heart rate monitor. Using the Footpod gives me additional information on cadence (strides per minute) and average stride length. Using these figures can help with developing your running style, although you need to do some research and understand what they mean for you as well as choose the school of thought on their interpretation that's right for you. I love stats and I am working on improving my running style so I'm finding these stats are rather useful.

The device is small enough to sit nicely on your shoe with the clip sitting beneath one set of crossover laces and the device clipping easily over the top. I've worn it out on a number of runs now and I've had no problem with it flying off, it's also been through a few puddles and some torrential rain and I've had no problem with it failing on me.

One thing I've found is that the 310XT will use the Footpod instead of a GPS signal. This is handy on runs when you do lose the GPS, although I find that rarely happens, but at the start of a run you need to ensure you have a good GPS signal and lock before starting, otherwise your Garmin Connect map can look a little off target to begin with.
on 23 January 2015
Truly impressive. Easy to link to my Garmin 620 and providing great results on the treadmill straight from the box, without any calibration. The 620 is a great watch but the pace data when on the treadmill was poor for me. Using the foot pod and instantly fixed that and I now have great data (with all the other metrics from the HRM) for all my treadmill runs.

Worth the money (£36 here on Amazon)
on 26 November 2013
This has revolutionised my treadmill workouts.

I always felt that I was running faster than the treadmill showed and this has proved it. It also gives me a way to get data from these workouts which I can analyse like outdoor workouts. Synching it to my forerunner 310XT was a wee bit complicated but nothing especially taxing, though I did need to find a video on how to do it on Youtube. So maybe the instructions could be improved if nothing else. Added to that it's accurate, clips on easily and reliably to my shoes. Is it a little bit expensive? Possibly, but a gadget is only worth what you're willing to pay for it, and I stumped up the cash and don't regret the purchase. Too early to tell how long lasting it is however. A nice gadget for a moderately keen runner and upwards.
on 2 September 2010
Does exactly what it says on the tin and paired up within a minute with my Garmin Forerunner 405CX. My running is heavily motivated by gadgets and if you run on a treadmill as well as running outside then you will need this little device if, like me, you want to record all your runs. For ease of use and working well I would give 5 stars but it is a tad expensive for what it is (I previously ran with a Nike+) so it loses a star due to cost.
on 10 December 2010
This was the SDM4 model which supports the cadence feature and precisely what I was after in terms of add-ons for my 310xt setup. I wanted it so I can record all my indoor treadmill sessions as well as force my cadence up.

Pros:
Can clip to laces or squeeze in arch area of shoe
Tiny (about size of 10p but slightly thicker)
99% accurate speed once calibrated against GPS (so can use on treadmill)

Cons:
So small and light if you havent connected it to your shoes correctly then
Might not be overly waterproof (used wetsuit latex glue to seal battery cap better)
Expensive-probably OK at £40 but £70 is way overpriced. I paid a lot less as it was a clearance item so very happy
Clip very small compared with polar footpod so wouldnt notice if it fell off when running-just put it inside shoe instead.

Despite the drawbacks, if you see it for under £40 I would recommend it if your a data freak like me!
VINE VOICEon 26 March 2015
Being able monitor your cadence can be a useful tool in improving your running style and efficiency so with this in mind I got this to pair to my 310XT

The pairing process was extremely simple
Select Main Menu, Settings, Run Settings, Foot Pod, Turn Foot pod sensor present? to Yes, hit Enter to Restart Scan
You may have to shake or move the footpod for it to activate however I didn't and mine was detected instantly.

Seeing where your cadence peaks or troughs in your run can tell you a lot about where you're expending the most effort and how your style copes with hill ascents and descents enabling you to make changes to your running mechanics

Another benefit of the footpod is that it allows more accurate indoor, treadmill, running. However I haven't used it for that as treadmill running bores me rigid.

Attaching the footpod is straight forward. Unlike the Nike+ sensor the footpod comes with a plastic attachment that simply slots under your laces and then the footpod clips right in.
It is very sturdy and secure in fact so much so it is troublesome transferring the footpod between my trainers so I'm now on the verge of getting a pouch for both sets of shoes to allow me to change more easily.
On the subject of pouches the footpod is the same size as the nike+ pod making the choice of pouches wider.
on 24 February 2015
Very helpful piece of measuring tool that helps determine one's cadence. I have not experimented too much with it as a distance measuring tool but will do so at some stage. I use it in combination with a Garmin FR type GPS watch so I don't use it for measuring distances. It's a great help to get the steps right and keeping to a constant rhythm.
on 2 February 2015
It works brilliantly if you're walking/training indoors etc. The only downside is that it doesn't start counting until you've taken nine steps or so. One of the very upsides is that when you forget to stop your gps enabled watch when you get on a train, you don't suddenly have lots of miles at high speed as part of your activity record!
on 15 August 2013
I purchased one for my Forerunner 410 so that I could continue to use the watch in the gym to track running on treadmills. The device is easy to pair and calibrate with the Forerunner (it does pair with most Forerunner watches, but not the 110 and 205, for example) and clips snugly and securely in the laces of my ASICs.

As well as returning a speed indication when running indoors the device also adds extra cadence information when tracking runs outdoors on GPS. This cadence information is available to view on my watch as I can customise the data pages, and is shown in the history as "rpm". Note that the cadence is for one leg only, so you have to double it to get an idea of steps per minute.

It is worth noting that if you move the device onto another pair of trainers you should really recalibrate the device for accuracy, and the device does not give accurate cadence information for cyclists. This is not a problem for me as I have a dedicated pair of running shoes.

The only slight snag (and this is not Garmin's fault) is that if you import your running data into Runkeeper (as I do) you do not get any of the cadence information. I've ended up importing into both Runkeeper to share with other running buddies and Garmin Connect to see the extra info. Maybe Runkeeper will include this extra information at some point.