on 13 August 2008
I bought the book because I'm loosing weight at the moment and therefore always looking for new recipes. It does contain a lot of good recipes but the portion sizes are mostly unrealisticly small and I've never been one for massive portions. Let's face it: 250g of dried pasta for 4 persons is not enough (every other cookbook says 100g per person which is about right). When you ignore the portion sizes, you immediately have the problem that suddenly the calorie content of your meal is rather high. If you don't have to keep an eye on how much you eat or believe that normal portions are "bad", there are a lot of nice and really tasty recipes like "Penne with Roasted Tomatoes, Garlic and White Beans" or "Salmon with Sweet and Spicy Rub". I tried both and they were delicious plus easy to make. A great plus of the book for those who want to know exactly what they eat is the fact that every recipe has a full analysis with all nutritional facts clearly laid out. Mind that this is an american book, so you'll need conversion tables again.
44 comments| 13 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 3 May 2009
I was delighted with my Ellie Krieger purchase. The book is clearly set out, with easy to follow recipes which happen to be delicious.It is, however, geared up to the American's style of food, some of which seem odd to me, but there is enough packed in the chapters to find plenty of great options.I love the fact that you can eat healthily and more importantly, these foods are so delicious, you don't feel deprived in any way of, what we often think of as naughty(but nice) foods. Ms Krieger has in my opinion hit the spot totally. You exchange a few ingredients,make a small change in the way you 'roast' of 'fry' your foods but you don't have to compromise on taste you will be healthier into the bargain.
on 23 September 2013
I didn't really like the recipes in here. I was looking for ideas for breakfast and lunch but didn't find them particularly helpful, too American for me (pancakes, waffles, muffins and things you'd eat for your dinner!) Those recipes that I have tried I've found quite bland and have had to make changes to them. There seems to be a distinct lack in seasoning. For example I tried making a Thai curry and it just tasted of salty coconut milk so I had to triple the spices. I don't like hot (as in chilli) foods but I do like them to be flavoursome.
The book itself is well laid out with good photos and instructions. Lots of people obviously do like the recipes but personally I wish I hadn't bought it. I've just got the Hairy Bikers diet books and having had a flick through it seems more my kind of thing I'm afraid.
on 9 March 2009
Brilliant cookery book, with delicious recipes. Would be great for those with specific diets as it has really good nutritional value charts for each recipe. A great twist on healthy food that satisfies most cravings.
on 3 March 2009
Great book by an American lady I saw on TV on a recent visit to the US. Have had to identify a few of the ingredients eg scallions are spring onions, but that's only to be expected.
It was quite a bit cheaper on Amazon than in the bookstore in the US and I didn't have to carry it home!!
on 8 May 2014
I watched the programme and was fascinated by her recipes and style. She showed how to put flavour into cooking without loading up with salt and fat. I've owned this book since 2009 and still enjoy looking through it for inspiration.
on 27 April 2014
A great selection of recipes. I particularly enjoy having a range of breakfast options as porridge can get a bit boring! The recipes do seem to have a lot of ingredients and probably not ideal if you have a tight budget plus I have had to check what a few of the ingredients are in English e.g. canola oil - I think the closest equivalent or may be the same thing is rapeseed oil in UK. If you buy this book you will need a cup measure as this is how most ingredients are measured in US (ie by capacity not mass).
on 20 November 2012
Everything about Ellie's recipes are fab..if you are trying to lose a few pounds but still want delicious food without the hassle of calorie counting buy this book! You won't regret it!
on 4 May 2008
Had this book bought for me as a pressie and after, studying it in depth, can honestly say it looks wonderful.

I have tried the Ricotta Cheesecake, but instead of using fresh raspberries to top and orange juice and rind into the base itself, I opted to grate lemon rind and use lemon juice together with a couple of tablespoons of Limoncello instead then, as topping, crowned it with some frozen cherries, which I'd cooked gently over a low light for about 10 - 12 minutes, adding a little sugar to sweeten (you could use fruit sugar instead of granulated if you want to carry though the whole not-so-sinful theme; it's readily available in the supermarkets over here in the UK)and I have to admit to adding a couple of tablespoons of cherry brandy, then finally thickening with arrowroot.

My family and friends have not stopped raving about it; it's wonderful.

Many thanks Ellie for this sumptuous dessert.

Would definitely recommend it to anyone wishing to improve their eating habits without cutting out too many favourite foods.
on 27 April 2011
Gorgeous recipes loved this book!! really interesting read from a nutritionists point of view. gives you full run down on nutritional content of all the recipes and how they should be portioned out!

Love this book- highly recommend it to any healthy eaters out there!!