Customer reviews

2,312
Format: Blu-ray|Change

on 6 January 2013
I felt compelled to write a brief review in support of the theatrical edition Blu Ray of the LOTR trilogy.
There seems to be more whinging about this edition from people who haven't even purchased it than any other film. (only Bladerunner coming close !)
I even delayed buying this edition because of all the bad reviews, waiting for the extended version to go down to a sensible price.
Well the extended version trilogy still hasn't gone down to a sensible price and at less than a tenner for the shorter theatrical versions ( a mere 9 hours !) for 3 blu ray films and 3 extras DVDs I thought what the heck I can't go wrong!
I think the whingers have forgotten what brilliant films these are , they were good enough at the cinema and are still great to watch again and again. Of course I have the extended versions on DVD so can watch the 10 1/2 hours for all 3 if I want to, and to think I paid over £20 each for those, so didn't want to spend another £40+ for the blu ray copies.
From a technical point of view the Blu ray copies are better than the up scaled DVDs, but with less layer break glitches and the whole of each film on one disk ! Sound quality is significantly better but that's just my opinion and picture quality is superb, even on the Fellowship of the Ring. Maybe the techies should stop looking at the screen with a microscope and just sit back and enjoy.
Stop the moaning and remember if like me you were lucky enough to see the original LOTR trilogy in the cinema it was probably the best 3 movies you will ever have seen on the big screen . (with the exception of Bladerunner of course !! yes even the 1982 version!)
What other films of this magnificence can you get on Blu Ray for £3 per movie ?! BEST VFM so far this year, money well spent in my opinion.! Get them while you can at this ridiculous price.
on 20 March 2015
Any fan would be incomplete without this set- the extra scenes are amazing, and follow along with the books for the most part. The art inside each case is beautiful, and each disc has a little booklet for information which is rather helpful in itself no matter how many times I've watched these movies.
The only set back is probably the two discs per movie, but this can be considered a positive if you don't have the time to watch the whole movie in one go, but if you are going to marathon it you'll find yourself getting up a few times to switch it over. Otherwise, amazing.
on 20 August 2013
So definitely worth it!

The hours of extended DVD playtime, as well as all the extras are very much worth the time/money.

I, personally, love being able to see the behind-the-scenes on films like this, and seeing everything that everyone put into the films just makes it all that much more special to me.

I sat and watched all of it over a long weekend, and I felt honoured to have been allowed to watch something that all these people so obviously enjoyed doing. It was quite a wrench realising that I wasn't a part of it, and I never can be!

Really worth your time.
on 21 December 2015
All three Lord Of The Rings Movies in stunning Blu-Ray sound and picture quality all together in a boxset for just over ten pounds
OK these aren't the Director's Extended Cuts they are the cinema versions, and only come with a single disc of extras for each movie but for the price this set is superb value for money.
An undisputed five star essential purchase.
Superb.
on 13 November 2016
Perfect! All the disks work and the packaging has only minor wear and tear so description of used/good was spot on. I've never actually seen these films before and my partner has been bugging me to get and watch them so at £4 for the full trilogy to take a punt on it was a fantastic price too!
on 13 August 2016
Exactly what I wanted. Recently watched the whole series on NowTV and couldn't wait to watch them again. Now I can watch them whenever I want and wherever I want. Great series and if you've never watched them but you love fantasy, a great story, funny life like characters, then you should definitely give it a try.
on 7 July 2013
Even almost a decade later, Peter Jacksons Lord of the Rings Trilogy is still one of the best and well crafted pieces of film.

In my opinion, this Extended Edition DVD Box Set is also one of the best ever published for a film. Jackson and his team manage to give you a surprisingly honest look behind the scenes of one of the biggest movie productions of all time.

You won't find any glorification here as you so often do in other Behind the Scenes featurettes where everyon is just congratulating themselves and assuring what a great time they had.
Here, when they say, they had a great time, you actually believe them, even more, as the Behind the Scenes team also does not hesitate to show you the darker moments during the making of the films.

The films itself are presented here in the Extendet Editions and are a must-see for every Lord of the Rings fan. Not only do you get three fantastic films, but additionally to that, every film comes with at least 3 different audio commentaries (a writers one, an actors one and an art department one) who are very interesting and very entertaining to listen to at the same time.

This box set gives you not only three perfect films in (for DVD standart) perfect picture and sound quality, but also one of the best look at what it takes to make a movie.

When I first watched them ten years ago, they inspired me to become a filmmaker myself.

Go. Buy. It.
on 22 September 2015
The added and extended scenes are seamlessly integrated with the main films. They add detail, context and new information about the films and bridge scenes that were previously abrupt. Whilst the first two films were excellent viewing, the third was somewhat heavy going. Dont get me wrong I think this edition is really good, but I doubt I will get the time any time soon to re-watch it.
on 27 September 2016
Discs are fine, do what blu ray should. Very disappointed that the product information didn't state iTunes Australia or New Zealand was necessary and when I tried the Windows media copy it had expired. 2nd star is for the response from the customer services in the form of a partial refund as I don't have the digital copy that I wanted.
on 8 January 2013
To start with I am a fan of the books. And I have to say regardless of what some critics have said Peter Jackson does a pretty decent job adapting this. There are parts when it seems to drag and battle scenes can be a tad long. But it's a fairly faithful adaption of a complex novel. In my opinion the Theatrical version is just right. Having watched the extended edition's I just got bored and I can see why Jackson axed and cut some scenes.

Now to the Blu Ray.. Having never seen these movies on blu ray before I have to say .. wow.. for a series of films made between 1999-2003 the quality is spectacular. And in HD you can see just how much love and care went into getting details right. From Moria to Minas Morgul, Gollum and everything is just amazing. The sound is also spectacular in dts. Surround is just amazing.

Certainly for £10 this was just a steal. Just hope Mr Jackson does not let us down with The Hobbit Trilogy.