on 2 June 2009
I have a jacket made from "Sympatex" fabric which was in need of washing and reproofing. As it was rather expensive I wanted to do it correctly so I e-mailed the manufacturer who recommended this product.

The product is very simple to use. There are two bottles containing 300ml each of wash and reproofer. You add up to 150ml of Tech Wash according to your water hardness and this will do one or two garments at a time After the wash cycle has finished you add 100ml per garment of the Wash-In which is the reproofer ("...reactivate the hydrophobising" as the manufacturer puts it.) and run a 30C Synthetic cycle with a slow spin. You can wash and reproof up to two garments at a time.

The items can then be air dried or tumble dried if the care label permits.

It is also possible to hand wash garments if preferred.

The results were excellent, the jacket actually felt lighter, (it can't have been that dirty!) and its water repellant properties were restored to as new.

I could have had it dry-cleaned and reproofed by a specialist but it would have been more hassle and probably more expensive.

As well as "Sympatex" fabric the products are said to be suitable for "Gore-Tex","Permatex","eVent" and "Nikwax Anology" fabrics. The Tech wash is also said to be suitable for items such as tents, awnings rucksacks panniers and camera bags.
11 comment| 349 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 22 May 2012
After much research I bought this item from Amazon as impressed with the price, not so impressed with the P & P costs, but that's another review to be written!

I noted that some people weren't happy with the outcome, so I took great care in the preparation of my washing machine. I bought a good washing machine descaler & cleaner to ensure that no detergent was left in the soap dispenser or drum etc. & used it first, this was overdue in any case. My machine was spotless when I started to use the TechWash first, then the TX Direct straight afterwards. Followed the instructions carefully, 2 items in the wash, correct machine setting & temperature for Goretex & Sympatex shell jackets. The outcome was outstanding, I'm very pleased with the result. So pleased I washed & proofed another jacket afterwards, with an equally good result & I still have enough left for 1 more jacket wash.

This makes me sound like a complete "anorak", but it's worth the care for jackets that are very expensive to buy & replace.
on 1 November 2010
Used the TX Direct as a test against the Softshell proofing used previously. TX Direct works much better!!
on 6 June 2010
I have had waterproof clothing for years yet have never used products like these. Simple to use, just put clothes in the washing machine with the products. Excellent results. Clothes are clean and well waterproofed. I would recommend them 100% Price was very competative also.
on 25 March 2009
I have been using nikwax for my Paramo clothing for many years and I think it is the best waterproof system around.I would like to thank Amazon for the very quick delivery and price for this product
on 20 October 2010
Excelent product does what is says on the tin. Have a Peter Storm anorak which had been washed and lost its waterproofness, one wash with Nikwax Tech Wash good as new. Saved having to buy a new coat.
on 18 January 2010
My husband has kept his paramo jacket in full waterproof condition for about 15 years now. He swears by both Paramo and Nikwax.
Use the tech wash, and then immediately proof it with the wash-in. No need to wait for it to dry after the first wash.
If you have used normal washing powder on Gortex or other breathable waterproof clothing you may well find that the sealed seams start to let water through.
These Nikwax products prevent damage to the fabrics.

First wash the jacket with Tech Wash, then wash again with TX Direct Wash in to re-waterproof it.
I have used this product for years on my Paramo outdoor clothing and it has worked a treat.

There is also a product from Nikwax called Polar Proof that is specifically for making fleece jackets resistant to rain. It works.

As to value, if you buy these you will get three times as much product for the same price it would cost you on the High Street.

This is real value.
on 25 April 2010
This is an excellent and effective product for cleaning and re-proofing waterproof anoraks etc.
Two washs were necessary to clean a light coloured anorak which was very dirty, but the end result was very good and the
anorak is fully waterproofed.
TOP 100 REVIEWERon 20 December 2011
Excellent product that I have used on two waterproof jackets up to now, and that I will definitely order again to use on other kit.
The 'Tech Wash' provides a biological-free wash at the recommended programme for your garment, followed by a 30C cycle using the 'TX-Direct' reproofer. Couldn't be easier - you use on average 2 capfuls (100ml) of each bottle, depending on the hardness of your water and number of garments you are washing, so for me each twin pack will wash and proof three separate coats.
... and it works really well - thoroughly recommended.