on 7 June 2015
Okay, so I love music and am fortunate to be able to spend a good chunk of my day at work listening to music, I have just spent a lot of time researching a new set of headphones to go with my new Fiio X3 mk2. I currently own a set of Sennheiser PX100-IIi which, in my opinion, are the headphone community's best kept secret. They are *very* good. Beautifully clear and just the right amount of bass and only £30. Amazing. Anyway, having got a high-resolution player I thought it would be a good time to get better headphones (it that was possible), After reading many reviews, I plumped for for the AKG 702s'. Reviews were variable on these but the general opinions were positive. I have to say I have never been so disappointed. Firstly, the volume was low so had to crank it up more than usual. This will be down to the impedance and I can live with it. However, more importantly, I was completely underwhelmed by the sound. Now I know that, supposedly, you have to burn in a number of hours and I fully understand this. I simply do not believe that they will suddenly leap in quality after 90 hours or so. Even if they did, life is too short. The sound was, in my view, simply 'acceptable'. So back they went. As I write this on, I have just returned from a marathon listening session at my local Curry's mega store. I checked them all out: Bose, Sennheiser, Sony JVC, Skull Candy, Beats Audio - everything they got and constantly swapped between my reference Sennheisers and the rest. I used George Michaels Patience album which is amongst the best production quality CD's around. I have ripped this in both ALAC and MP3 (320kbs). Incidentally, I hear no difference between these formats with my Sennheisers although I was hoping to hear a difference with 'better' (i.e. more expensive) headphones. I didn't and my hearing is 100% (unlike my eyes). So I concentrated on the 320kbs tracks of said album with the other headphones. The tests were very interesting. Even the more expensive Sennheisers were not as good as the PX100-IIi's. Also, the cheaper AKG Y50 headphone sounded better then the AKG 702's. In the end, the stand-out headphones were the Sony MDR-1A's. These even beat the more expensive Sony units as well as the Bose. Truly lovely sound, clear and open with good but not overpowering bass (unlike most of the 'yute' phones). However, you shouldn't take my word for it as these products are highly subjective. If you get a chance, check these out. Start off with other headphones and end with the MDR-1A's and see if you agree with my findings. Anyway, I have just ordered a set from Amazon (out of stock at Curry's) so I'll give these a good critical listening and post a review against those at some point. Hopefully, the sound quality won't be a one-off. We will see.
1212 Comments| 4 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on 20 June 2016
I can't tell how much disappointed I am with this headphone, the quality of the sound is just the same with £10 headphone.
77 Comments| One person found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on 12 October 2013
I have just purchased these headphones from Amazon sold by Amazon as made in Austria. However on receiving them it was noticed they are no longer made in Austria. Amazon should maybe remove the false advertising in the image provided. The headphones themselves sound great. They feel solid and well built.
99 Comments| 2 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on 14 January 2018
I got these headphones refurbished from eBay for about 30 percent off the price of Amazon. I also bought a sap ii as these headphones need some juice and your onboard Audi doesn't cut it .

Comfort :
So Ive been spoiled by my Fidelio x2s and those headphones are so godly comfortable it's not even funny. These headphones once you put them on you're like meh okay not so bad . Then after an hour you feel pressure coming from your ears and head and you're like what's that ?. Well , the band even though real leather or whatever fricken digs your head out and grates your hair because of how stiff it is . The pads suck , they're not memory foam , they're bottom bin pads that have proprietary rings on them so you can't easily change them.

You can mod them like I did which is put some fur on the band ontop and changed the pads to angled memory foam hm5 velours. After that they're atleast as comfy as my stock x2s. So after the mods comfort is 4/5. Without mods it's a 2/5. If you argue that they're comfy then you must be some form of masochist .

Build quality :
Not as bad as my supurlux 668s but this are 30 dollar headphones. So I expected more from akg . You could argue they're light , but these are staying on my desk they aren't going anywhere in other words I wouldn't take them on trips.

Gaming :
So I play rainbow 6 seige quite alot and I needed headphones that'll do highs well for footsteps. These do just that and plus positional audio and speeration is really good. For gaming solely these are way better than the x2s, those headphones will bring out explosions but not good for competitive.

Sound quality :

Okay so I've nitpicked these headphones way too much and you're wondering what's the point of 4 stars at this point.

These are a yes just a yes. I mean my Fidelio x2s are cuddly and big sounding. These have a wider sound stage and a much more balanced and neutral signature. Like the highs are present and mids are much better than most headphones at this price range . They're not shouty as other akgs which in my opinion is good. The bass , yes a little lacking , while the x2s give me the thump and what not , these have really really really tight bass. Like playing some EDM music with sub bass really made them shine. It does wonderful things with jazz or Frank Sinatra music and classics , rock is also really good like rage against the machine ( bulls on parade , the guitar is brought forth and the drums sound lively).
If you're a gentlemen who wants more of a good overall go for these instead of like the x2s or the 770 pros.

Proprietary gimmicks :
Why use a mini XLR that terminates in a two pole 3.5 , it does absolutely nothing but make my life hard and expensive.

Really good for their price ! IF. You have a dac/amp. Tbh just get the sap ii and use onboard audio if you must or your sound card then get a dac later. Also you need to baby them and get them nicer pads and mod the stupid leather band. Once you baby them , they'll be good to go.
review image
0Comment|Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on 6 November 2012
I have had these for 2 months now, use them daily for work, and several friends have ostracized me for my inability to stop talking about them. I adore them, and am wearing them as we speak.

Plus points:

1. You hear EVERYTHING. This is like having a really unforgiving set of studio monitors strapped to your ears (And when i say strapped, I mean lovingly and comfortably placed and light as a feather gently on your head)
2. The design is nice, and unlike closed back headphones which I had always been a sucker for in the past - the sound is so wide - playing high quality audio has changed significantly since I got these. I cannot listen to anything less than 320kbps, (or by certain producers) as you really notice the difference. By the sound being wide, i mean whereas with my HD280 Pros i felt like everything was happening very loudly within an inch of my skull either side - these actually make it sound like the audio is filling the room. With my eyes closed I can almost isolate an arpeggio to be panning 4ft away from me to my left. whilst a snare is sat behind my right ear. It is a remarkable experience. If you enjoy well produced electronic music (and no i don't mean modern commercial dubstep.) you will appreciate these headphones.

3. The Cable is a decent length, and replaceable - and high quality.
4. You can, (and I have) wear them for 24 hours straight. something that would make my ears sweaty and bleeding in a set of hd-25's
5. For what it's worth - the box is pretty - and opening it feels like you've joined an exclusive members club - but that now sits on a shelf since day 1. I buy products, not packages.

Negative Points:

1. If you try to wear these in public, expect odd looks, they really aren't designed for it, and you look like you are walking around with two sofas on your ears. They will also require a headphone amp if you wanted to use them with an iphone/other portable player as they require a fair amount of power. (That said - this is exactly what i do, since listening to my music on anything else feels like im cheating on them now)
2. For headphones in this price bracket, i would expect some sort of headphone pouch/bag - granted my first negative point was that they aren't designed to be worn out and about, but that doesn't mean i dont want a £400+RRP set of headphones to be safe when i travel between locations.
3. You hear EVERYTHING. - Yes, this point is the same point as my first positive point. And whilst for the most part this is amazing, it does have its drawbacks too. I was watching a very popular prime time TV show, and could hear where the audio engineer had really sloppily tried to mute the background noise/gain between characters talking. This ended up meaning between lines you got a heavily adjusted noise floor, which went so far up and down i found it unwatchable. It quite frankly shocked me. I swapped to theHD280pros and it disappeared. I also tried to use the K702's to play Fifa 13 on the xbox 360, The audio becomes far from seamless. The crowd sounds like someone is randomly playing a wav file over the top (in essence they are, but through regular speakers you cant tell, and with the AKG's accuracy - audio levels seem to jump all over the place). In music production, you can hear when things aren't properly sidechained or compressed. If your music library is any lower than 320kbps, or is by amateur producers, you will not get what you want from these headphones and may get a few horror shows. Basically, if there are any technical flaws in the audio you run through these. they'll expose it.

Other observations: If you are looking to spend mega money, because you want mega bass - these are not for you. sure you can EQ and crank the bass, but being open back they are neither designed for, nor supposed to give you that horrible overpowering bass that is becoming so popular with the "trendy" headphones endorsed by rappers, or that other brand that look like a 5 year old with neon crayons draws up the concept designs.

Personally I use these every single day to listen to very well produced electronic music, and I also use them for the audio sections of my work - which involves cleaning up interview audio and recordings for videos. Side by side it is insane how much you miss when you play the same audio through a set of hd25s/280pros/5.1system than you do through these.

Since my K702's arrived, a friend is already getting a pair, and my hd25 owning friends have an increased rate of jealousy. Of course it is unfair to compare the headphones I have here, because these K702s are for reference, whereas those are closed back for DJ'ing - however if you have the budget, the right taste in music, and wan't your mind, rather than your eardrums blown.. then I cant recommend these enough, and sitting on a train full of people with the top end Beats by Dre headphones does cause me to try and hold back a smirk of one-upmanship, whether they all realise why or not.

- On a final note - Yes they will require burn in, mine warmed up after around 20-40hours of play but notably changed within the first 5. Compared to when they arrived they now sound totally different, though unlike another reviewer here, (I'm not judging - it was just my preference!) I quite enjoyed the process of wearing them through this process. I'd go back to an album I'd already played a few hours later and think - this is sounding better and better, it is somewhat rewarding to feel your investment coming to life!
88 Comments| 128 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on 31 October 2011
When I first got these headphones I was bit worried as I found the high end to be very shrill & the bass very... well very not there, all my music sounded very detailed but it didn't seem to sit quite right, noting really did other then a few songs which showed the headphones true potential but a few songs wasn't going to cut it.

Now I've never been a believer of headphone burn in, I always thought your ears just simply flat out adjusted to them, but the thing was I wasn't really enjoying listening to music on these things so I sort of tried out burning them in based on some other experiences which stated the exact same thing as what I felt when I first listened to these headphones, shrill highs... soundstage being too revealing and rigid.

Anyways I left these to burn in for around 48 hours as I was out for a couple of days and returned and gave them another try and all I can say is, I now believe in burn in, these headphones sounded like a completely different pair I had dismissed just 2 days prior.

The bass was so clear, it was controlled, punchy and responsive... I don't think I've ever heard such controlled and responsive bass on a pair of headphones before... now don't get me wrong don't mistake this for headpounding bass this isn't what these headphones are about but I've never been a much a fan for that anyways, this bass is just soooo satisfying.

The soundstage opened it's self up but music no longer sounded disjointed, you could pin point with precision where everything was in the room, this is ever clearer in movies where these bad boys excel.

These headphones are for lovers of the human voice, female vocals especially sound great on these headphones, vocals in all songs come out loud and clear and sound incredibly organic (unless the producer intended otherwise)

In short I think these headphones are breath taking, suggested burn in time is around 700hours and they sound better each time I listen to them (though I believe it's because I've adjusted as much as the burn in process) I'm reaching around about 70 - 100hours now I'd estimate since buying them and can't wait to hear them at their full potential.
99 Comments| 37 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on 15 October 2016
As a music enthusiast and already owning a number of pairs of good headphones, I wanted to get another pair, partly for use with a digital piano, partly to listen to classical music. The glowing reviews convinced me that these were definitely worth trying, and I'm glad I did.

The upside first: everyone talks about their clarity, and they're right. The headphones I use most frequently are Sennheiser HD600s, which are a class reference headphone, and these do beat them in clarity. Not by the huge margin that some reviews might have you think (the HD600s are considerably clearer than the HD650s, for example, which suffer quite badly with the "Sennheiser veil"), but it's definitely there and noticeable. They are also considerably faster, which further helps the feeling of clarity. If you want something above all fast and clear, these may very well be what you're after.

The minor downside: they're not comfortable, and frankly they don't really give a quality feel. The single cable going into one ear, the lack of proper fixable height adjustment (meaning that you have to have the headband resting on your head), the slightly plastic feel.

The major downside: the soundstage is excessively divided and inappropriate for most forms of music (especially classical). There are two aspects of this problem: (a) the soundstage is very narrow, especially in comparison to other leading quality brands (Grado, Sennheiser, even Beyerdynamics are wider than this); (b) the listener position is ON stage, rather than with the stage in front of you. The latter of these especially is a MAJOR problem; it simply does not sound like a plausible location for a listener, and as a result completely dispels the illusion of live music. The ideal position is for the music to have a diagonal L-R division, i.e. violins come from front-left, and cellos from front-right, and you feel like a member of the audience. Wearing these headphones, you feel like you're in the violas; the violins come almost exclusively from the left phone, and the cellos almost exclusively from the right phone, and orchestral blend is completely blown apart. When people describe the sounds as analytical, they're not wrong, but it's analytical at the expense of the whole, and this is largely due to this eccentric soundstage positioning.

If you want to hear a bunch of individual components, these are definitely the headphones for you. If you want enjoy a proper musical blend, look elsewhere. Ultimately, when wearing most quality headphones, I can believe I'm in the room with the musicians, listening to live music. When wearing these headphones, I couldn't escape the feeling that I was just listening to music through headphones; they are highly intrusive. For that reason, they had to go back.
22 Comments| 7 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on 16 August 2016
1. K702 arrive in a simple lightweight box that does not immediately convey the feeling of luxury, one would expect from a world-famous pair of expensive headphones (Picture 1). On the left-hand side there are six labels with praise by different online testing venues: all of them date back to 2009 and 2008.
2. I do like the clever wording: “Expect” on the front of the box, “and discover” on the inner cover (Pictures 2 and 3).
3. At long last, the box is fully opened and one can enjoy the view of the coveted headphones, sort of. They are inside a plastic bag that somewhat ruins the picture (Picture 4).
4. I wish AKG had done a better job of presenting K702. Back in 2008 this frugal style may have been good enough, but now with the likes of Beats (investing heavily in the looks and marketing of their products) and the Philips Fidelio’s of the world, AKG K702’s presentation is something of a let-down. One could argue that they were never meant to be a hugely popular consumer product, and, therefore, they are not marketed as one. Still, I cannot help, but feel a bit underwhelmed.

1. Once out of the box and the cheap wrapping, AKG K702 look excellent in a reserved classical way. They are almost entirely made of dark blue plastic (Picture 5) with silver accents that emulate metal (Picture 6). The headband is made of real leather with blue stitching and adds a touch of luxury (Picture 7).
2. Because they are mostly plastic, K702 are extremely lightweight and very comfortable. You can wear them for hours on end without experiencing any discomfort. In fact, these must be the most comfortable headphones I have ever tried, which is the result of them being so light, but also the fact that the ear cups are quite big with an outer diameter of 11 cm and an inner opening of 6,5 mm (Pictures 8 and 9). Unlike Sennheiser Urbanite XL or Audio-Technica ATH-M50X, K702 are true over-the-ear headphones. It is also worth noting that the ear cups are wrapped in breathable soft velour (Picture 10).
3. Most importantly, K702 are hands down the best sounding headphones under £200. They are way better than any recent Beats of Sony model (for example, Beats by Dr. Dre Studio 2.0 or Sony MDR-1A Prestige); they best the very popular Audio-Technica ATH-M50X (although the latter have stronger bass), and are superior to the modern classic Philips X2 Fidelio:
– To start with, K702 sound much clearer and more transparent than any of the models mentioned above. Their audio frequency bandwidth of 10 to 39,800 Hz is truly outstanding. Even the excellent Philips X2 Fidelio sound muffled in direct comparison.
– K702’s stereo picture seems to extend further left and right than that of any of the other headphones I have tested. Not sure how AKG have achieved that, but the result is quite stunning.
– Many have mentioned that K702 lack bass, but the truth is that their sound is simply true to the original, with no part of the audio spectrum being accentuated. As AKG’s description reads, K702 have been engineered “for precision listening, mixing and mastering. They combine an extremely accurate response with agility and spaciousness.” Why is that important? Most songs are recorded and mixed to perfection in multi-million dollar studios by professionals with many years of experience in the field and the notion that you can “improve” on a song’s sound by boosting the bass or applying a few DSP effects to skew the audio picture one way or another, cannot be correct. What you want is to hear the song the way its author and producer intended it to be heard and AKG K702 does exactly that, adding no spice or colour of its own.
– Likewise, a lot has been written about how notoriously difficult K702 are to drive with their rated impedance of 62 Ohms supposedly not telling the whole story, but frankly, I am using them on my desktop with excellent results and even on my Samsung Galaxy Note 4 they sound decent (although I do have to crank the volume up to 80% to get to a proper level of loudness). Would they sound even better with a good headphone amp? Sure. Do they absolutely need one? No.
4. The ear pads are removable, so it is easy to clean or exchange them for new ones (Pictures 11 and 12).
5. At £132 AKG K702 are very competitively priced, and are actually cheaper than all popular competing models.

1. Many prospective buyers seem to lose sleep over the issue of where these legendary headphones are actually made. Let me put everyone’s worst fears to rest… by confirming them. Welcome to the brave new world, ladies and gentlemen, where Austrian headphones are in fact made in China or the P.R.C. (Picture 13).
2. K702 are exclusively produced from lightweight plastic. Compare this to the fact that Philips X2 Fidelio are entirely made of premium materials like metal and real leather (Pictures 14 and 15). Of course, steel is heavier than plastic, but it is also sturdier and does not necessarily make a pair of headphones less comfortable to wear.
3. The system for attaching the ear pads to the cups looks like something made by school children with a pair of scissors from a sheet of thin black plastic (Pictures 11 and 12).
4. The cups’ suspension system uses… thin elastics of the kind you can find in your mother’s sewing box (Picture 14). They will get slack with time.
5. At 3 m of length, the cable is too long for most practical purposes and terminates with a proprietary “professional mini XLR connector” (Pictures 16, 17 and 18).
6. These are open-back headphones (Picture 6) and everyone in the room will be perfectly aware of what you are listening to.
7. With a width of 19 cm and height of 23.5 cm (Pictures 19 and 20), K702 are nothing short of enormous and because of their size, the fact that they are made of plastic, the 3 m cable and rated impedance of 62 Ohms, they are clearly not made with today’s mobile generation in mind. A single drop to the ground could break or scratch and ruin them.
8. With some genres, artists and songs K702 tend to sound too lean. If you often listen to hard rock, heavy metal or are a fan of Rammstein, you may at times feel that these headphones are draining the life out of your music. They have been compared to the cold precision of a scalpel, cutting through the living flesh of your favourite song. It is not that the bass is completely missing, it has just lost its quality to excite…

However, I do not subscribe to this opinion. To my ears K702 are clear and transparent, with an extended stereo image, perfect balance and enough bass to make for a competent and enjoyable listening experience.

1. AKG K702 are the most comfortable and overall best sounding headphones in this price segment. I returned Audio-Technica ATH-M50X, once I had a chance to directly compare them to Philips X2 Fidelio, and sent the latter back after a few days of testing AKG K702. The bottom line is that music connoisseurs feel passionate about the pure, faithful reproduction of the source audio picture, and this is exactly what AKG K702 delivers.
2. Please, note that there are more expensive and (allegedly) superior sounding headphones on the market if money is not an issue: Mr. Speakers Ether, Sennheiser HD800,HIFIMAN HE1000,STAX SR-009, or the Focal Elear and Utopia models, to just name a few, although some of these models will set you back with the price of a small car.
3. AKG K702 are very competitively priced and unless you listen to most of your music on the go, they are a highly recommended buy.

4. If you are addicted to thundering bass, K702 should not be your first choice. Both Audio-Technica ATH-M50X and Philips X2 Fidelio deliver accentuated bass and may suit you better. However, be warned that Audio-Technica ATH-M50X feel heavy, rigid and are uncomfortable to wear, while Philips X2 Fidelio sound muffled in direct comparison and have a narrower stereo extension.
5. K702 are, unfortunately, entirely made of fragile plastic (to the point of feeling toyish), and use proprietary cable connectors.

UPDATE: I ordered a second pair of AKG K702 about a month after I bought the first one. However, the new pair was promptly sent back to Amazon. Why?
1. There was a creaking sound when moving the ear cups.
2. The right ear pad was thicker and visually bigger than the left one and also thicker and bigger than the ear pads of my “old” pair. Please, note that the thickness and size of the pads does affect sound quality.
3. The new pair sounded differently in an unusual way. To my ears the stereo extension seemed narrower. The overall audio presentation was a bit off, when compared to my “older” pair, but this could have been the result of the “new” pair not having been properly burnt-in (although some do argue that burn-in is a myth).

These differences are very unfortunate, and in my opinion could lower the overall rating by a ½ star to reflect the ineffective Quality Control, exercised by AKG’s Chinese or Korean production facility.
review imagereview imagereview imagereview imagereview imagereview imagereview imagereview imagereview imagereview imagereview imagereview imagereview imagereview imagereview imagereview imagereview imagereview imagereview imagereview image
0Comment| 35 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on 18 March 2016
good price can buy better cans at price.
44 Comments|Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on 16 January 2014
INITIAL REVIEW: I've worked in TV broadcasting since 1997, low-budget film production since 2011 and amateur/semi-professional music production on and off since 1992. Until lately I've always done my mixes for music and film sound on nearfield studio monitors in various low-budget studios and home studio set-ups, continuously striving to improve the monitoring and acoustics of my home studios with the very limited budget available to me.

Lately I've been forced to consider the necessity of doing much of my work on headphones using VRM (virtual reference monitoring). Obviously to work accurately with the VRM software/hardware I need the most neutral-sounding headphones that I can afford. I've never splurged more than £50 on headphones before and during my on-line research I encountered the audiophiles' theory of "burn-in" - the notion that headphones start out sounding slightly below-par but improve after many hours of use. Some people believe this and some people believe that it is not the headphones improving with use but the hearing of the user becoming more attuned to the new headphones.

I used these headphones for several hours a day with various devices over a seven-day period. Initially I was disappointed. The sound seemed somewhat anaemic, lacking in warmth and I had to strain to hear bass detail even on heavy electronic music and films with big explosions. By the end of the week the frequency response seemed to have levelled out and I was becoming more satisfied with the clarity and detail. I could hear flaws and crudities in television sound production (which is the level of clarity that I require) and music was becoming more pleasurable. The 'phones were "burning in", or so I thought.

At the end of this period I had to make a long journey so I loaded up some albums for my car stereo and hit the road. The bass was unbearably loud for me! This is a first because I have been playing bass guitar for over 20 years! I had to stop at a service station to neutralise all the EQ settings but I still found it really heavy, even on my poxy little car speakers.
The headphones had been training my ears to become more sensitive to low-frequency detail!

This is excellent news for me because my music mixes have always veered toward being slightly muddy/bass-heavy compared to commercial music releases, necessitating much subsequent tweaking. So it seems not to be the headphones being burned in but my bass-deafened ears become re-sensitized with extensive use. I am also finding other speakers in my house to be overwhelming at the bottom end and have been forced change the balance and crossover point between my main studio monitors and the sub-woofer. I will be interested to find out how my future music mixes change as I use the headphones and VRM more frequently, and I will update this review when I have had more practical use rather than leisure use.

So why have I only given these headphones a 4/5? Well the sound detail is extraordinary in its clarity but there seems to be a slight upper-mid range bump in the frequency response which makes spoken word voices sound very slightly telephonic, or in worse instances - on older recordings - a little like optical sound recording. I have a £40 pair of Sennheisers that sound a lot flatter to my ears in the mid-range, but I suppose it is because I am more accustomed to them.

If it turns out that I have been too hasty in dismissing "burn-in" and that the little bump in the sound evens out then I will return to this review, eat my words and add another star to the rating. The headphone packaging instructed me to expect perfection. For the price I feel that I am getting less than perfection.

ONE-MONTH UPDATE: I have just upgraded my rating from four to five stars. The mid-range spike in the sound has evened out and the bass response seems distinctly fuller and richer. I now believe in burn-in!

More crucially, listening back on these headphones to some sound editing work that I am currently engaged in I can hear all kinds of flaws that weren't revealed by my studio monitors. The clarity is just insane - I can hear absolutely everything. Every glitch, every dodgy edit, every over-zealous use of the noise reduction is making me cringe. I have got a lot of remedial work to do but by the end of it I shall have the cleanest, tidiest sound mix that I have ever done!

I heartily recommend these headphones. They are definitely worth the money and more than adequate for professional use. Money very well spent for a change! Five stars *****
44 Comments| 144 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse