Format: DVD|Change

How best to sum up 'Nearest and Dearest'? It's overacted to the hilt, you can see most of the gags coming a mile off, many scenes look under rehearsed, the actor's forget their lines and there are many occasions when Jimmy Jewel especially can't keep a straight face. Throw in wobbly sets, Hylda Baker clearly struggling with her memory in the last two series and a few of the jokes repeated several times. So to sum up....It's flaming hilarious!! It's hard to explain just why this series works but it does.

I had this box set bought for me and did wonder if I would find 'Nearest And Dearest' funny anymore. I was laughing within seconds and it was actually funnier than I remembered it being. I think that it is so typically British in it's approach and even so very Northern. That's not to say that it won't appeal to anyone down South because it will. It has that almost endearing quality about it, the feeling that it was cheap to produce but done with vigour and warmth. It has a fine cast that give it their all and a few catchphrases thrown in for good measure.

This is a lovely comedy from a time when you could get away with a lot more things than you can today. It is a gem and this box set is sure to have you giggling. I say well done to all concerned and thank's for the memories.
on 29 November 2009
Memories of family laughter in my childhood. Very non-pc (suits me), particularly the mickey-taking of an old and nearly incontinent man who was married to a much younger woman. It was an unlikely marriage, and therefore very funny. Warm-hearted and old-fashioned comedy, and you could see such characters in real life here in the north. I was surprised to hear recently that Hylda Baker didn't get on with Jimmy Jewel off-stage. I bought all the series separately, but no regrets.
VINE VOICEon 15 July 2007
This has to be one of the funniest and most fondly remembered comedy shows ever made during the 1960s and early 70s. Full of innuendoes, political incorrectness, simple and innocent plots - this stuff is watchable time and time again. They don't make them like that anymore!

Treat yourself and never stop laughing with Hylda Baker and Jimmy Jewel. Watch for some rare early appearances of some famous stars of today; a stunning and sexy Shirley Stelfox (Emmerdale), Julie Goodyear and Maggie Jones (Coronation Street) and many more!

Worth its weight in gold!
on 7 September 2011
I remember watching Nearest an Dearest as child and loving the half-hour episodes!! Nellie and Eli Pledge are just wonderful together as they try and run Pledge's Purer Pickles along with their elderly and faithful workers. Add to that Walter and his dutiful wife Lily and a cast of great extras makes for a first class situation comedy!! 7..yes 7 DVD's of black and white and then colour episodes for this price!!!! A must for those tho love situation comedies from the early tv days....you will NOT be dissapointed. Hylda Baker and Jummy Jewel apparantly did not get on well...though you would never know from their on-screen performances. Hylda Bakers malapropisms are legendary and her catchphrase "Oh!! I must get a little hand put on this watch!!" is so funny......please buy and wallow in nostalgia from a period of brilliant if sometimes non-pc comedy!!!
44 comments| 12 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 5 June 2009
A blast from the past, I had forgotten how funny this series was. Recommended to anyone looking for a few hours of nostalga!
Ah! the malaprops! once heard never forgotten.
"Nearest and Dearest" and "Not on Your Nellie" buyers be prepared for the "Boston Dangler" (Boston Strangler), "Mr Bigpiece" (Makepiece) and on introductions "You havent had the pleasure of me yet." Priceless!
on 13 May 2011
This complete series of Nellie and her pickle factory is hilarious. I was sat sitting there in my chair watching good old nellie and was laughing so much it was ricidudalous. She was a legend and I can say that without a fear of contraception.
on 26 May 2011
Great fun and reflects how life was in some families in working class England at the time. Not only entertaining but of historical interest.
"Have you been Walter?!"
on 1 July 2009
Very good very pleased so refreshing to get good humour not like the rubbish we get today thank you so much
on 10 January 2015
buying this DVD of nearest and dearest is the best thing I ever watched on television when I was a young lad in my twenty's
but I brought this box set for my wife who was not born till 1979 so I buy all the old comedy's for her and she loves them I hear her laugh ever time see watches programmes of the box sets from on the buses Nearest and dearest curry and chips dad's army it is the best thing I ever did was to come on to amazon :) great bargains and great value :)