on 8 October 2007
Quite simply, Hairspray is in my opinion, one of the best films to have been on at the cinema this year. However, what makes it so successful is its fantastic soundtrack. Opening number 'Good Morning Baltimore' is a great feel good tune and other classic tracks such as 'Without Love' with lyrics such as 'I never looked inside myself but on the outside I looked good' and 'It's like getting my big break and laryingitus'(apologies for spelling!),you know you are onto a winner! As for the singing, all in all very good although I thought Nikki Blonsky's voice started to grate after a while, despite it being amazing compared to my own voice! All I can say is that we need more fantastic soundtracks and films like this as it is practically impossible to not smile when listening. Great stuff all round.
on 21 July 2007
Fantastic film - made fabulous by the superb music and the superb acting & dancing. Fabulous rock n roll music which will make sense once you've seen the film! I can honestly say this is the first film I've ever seen at the cinema, where people watching the film have actually stood up and started dancing! Why? Because of the music....
on 25 July 2007
I have just returned from the cinema watching this film and the first thing I did was to order this soundtrack! The score is awesome, thesinging is AMAZING! Who'd have thought Christopher Walken could sing?

I recommend this CD to everyone in the entire world!
VINE VOICEon 2 August 2007
If you enjoyed the film, which I'd bet good money you did, then you'll absolutely adore this soundtrack. It includes all the songs, plus a couple more [heard in the credits] and they are pretty much in their entirety, giving you the full spirit and beat of the movie. A must-have for any musical collection!
on 27 January 2015
Cheesy? check.... Makes you think? check.... catchy tunes? absolutely!

Love the movie, love the musical, love the soundtrack!

Favourites include the upbeat Hey mama welcome to the 60's, Nicest kids in town, and You can't stop the beat - but I still love Ms Baltimore Crabs... makes me laugh at how horrid the character is! All the songs are brilliant though - probably would have thought people wouldn't buy it without having seen the film / musical - but it's very cheesy, but also poignant with how it addresses racial equality / integration issues in the 60's - And John Travolta as Mama Turnblatt.... with Cristopher Walken as his husband (Timeless to me) is so lovely!

I like to listen to this on cold wintery mornings when I don't wanna get up or stuck in traffic... can't help smiling whilst listening.... or belting the songs out... However, if you haven't seen the film / show some of the characters are (ironically) racist - part of the issue that is raised and conquered in the movie, but listening to some of the lines, if you don't know the movie, potentially might upset people... and Amber's mum (superbly played by Michelle Pfeiffer) is essentially horrible and rude about Tracy's size too! Well played as I hated her!!! Hateful character, her counterpart being Queen Latifah - fabulous as always - belting out Big blonde and beautiful - love all of it... Listen to the samples if you can, and you'll get a feel for the tone, but can listen to this over and over.... also Zac Efron(Link) , Amanda Bynes (Penny) and James Marsden (Corny Collins) with Elijah Kelley (Seaweed) and Brittany Snow (Amber) also have great songs too! Cheery, cheesy but with a serious message - LOVE LOVE LOVE IT!
on 29 January 2016
The music from the film version - great fun. Sometimes its nice to hear the tracks without the distraction of the visuals and dialogue as the songs make more sense and you hear lyrics you had previously missed.
on 16 June 2016
OH OH OH OH You can start an avalanche as it races down the hill!
Brought for preparation for going to Hairspray: the musical. (yes im the annoying out of tune singer in the audience!)
Perfect and also has lyrics to make sure I'm singing the right words!!! haha
I’ve been a huge musical fan since my early days, and love the period of the big MGM musicals, from the 30’s, 40’s 50’s and 60’s.

I saw the film back in 2008 and really enjoyed the musical and decided to add this to my musical soundtrack collection.

With this CD you get a lovely little booklet that has all the lyrics to the songs in the movie.

Music is composed by MARC Shaiman and the Lyrics are by Scott Wittman and Marc Shaiman.

With this movie being set in 1960 the composers have come up with some great catchy melodies that are reminiscent of that time.

The cast of the movie did a great job with singing these wonderful songs. :-)

Although I love all the songs on this soundtrack my real favourite is “You can’t stop the beat”. :-)

It’s a great CD with uplifting and bouncy melodies that will put a smile on your face, (just like the film does). :-)

I can highly recommend this CD to anyone who loves a good musical. :-)
VINE VOICEon 27 July 2007
I saw this film one evening and it was such good fun that the very next day I went out and bought this soundtrack to it. After I had initially got it I wondered if I had wasted my money, as I was disappointed with how the songs translated onto CD. However after a few listens the CD is growing on me loads and it really is a CD to put on if you are feeling down- I defy anyone to retain that mood after listening to these tracks:
1.Good Morning Baltimore- A wonderful opener: better in the cinema though with the accompanying film. 8/10
2.The Nicest Kids In Town- Cheesy to the extreme. 7/10
3.It Takes Two-A good song. 7/10
4.Miss Baltimore Crabs- A delightfully evil song, but the singer isn't that strong unfortunately. 7/10
5.I Can Hear The Bells- My personal highlight! Wonderful! 10/10
6.Ladies Choice- There are so many innuendoes here! 7/10
7.The New Girl In Town- I like this song, squeeky and teenage! 8/10
8.Welcome To The 60s-My other fave song- upbeat and fabulous. 10/10
9.Run And Tell That-Brilliantly sung. 9/10
10.Big Blonde And Beautiful-Brilliant again! 9/10
11.Big Blonde And Beautiful (reprise)-Much poorer than track 10, but again fits in well in the film. Bad on CD. 4/10
12.(You're) Timeless To Me-Again sounds better in the cinema, but it does have a charm to it and it is hilarious. 7/10
13.I Know Where You've Been-Sung superbly by Queen Latifah and a serious song, which is unusual in this musical. 8/10
14.Without Love-Brilliant in the film, but equally good on CD. I particularly love the harmonies and a line growled by Penny. 9/10
15.(It's) Hairspray-A hilarious and comical song, but sounds only just OK on CD. 6/10
16.You Can't Stop The Beat-A powerful, upbeat song. 8/10
17.Come So Far(Got So Far To Go)-A strong song to finish, but not the strongest.7/10
18.Cooties- A strange song. 7/10
19.Mama, I'm A Big Girl Now-A fantastic song sung by all three Tracys. It is clear from this that Marissa and Nikki are the most talented singers with Ricki shouting or talking her way through the song. 9/10
on 29 October 2007
I love every song in this album, they are all sung by different kinds of actors which makes the music varied and suprising. I bought this album on Amazon as soon as I came out of the Cinema, I still cant get these songs out of my head 4 months after it was released! The highlights of this album include.....every single song! I promise that you wont regret buying this, it will brighten up every day with a little song and dance and I am sure that you wont be able to get them out of your head either. BUY IT NOW !!! :)