Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Cloud Drive Photos Shop now Learn More Learn more Shop now Learn more Fire Kids Edition Shop Kindle Pre-order now Shop Men's Shop Women's

Format: Audio CD|Change

on 25 December 2008
I loved all the songs on the first Dreamboats And Petticoats compilation, but I prefer this album because although there are all sorts of wonderful hits, there are some lesser known but wonderful songs from the period also included.

You'll find enough to keep you happy as a fan of the era, and you'll learn some new songs you probably didn't know before, as well as the fact that this is a gloriously nostalgic album, whether or not you were around to hear these songs when they were initially released.

The music sounds as fresh today as it ever did, and I am really thrilled that there are albums like this being released to both recapture those times for those who were there the first time around, and to attract new listeners who more than likely weren't.

A great trip back in time to the dance halls of the 50s and 60s, and an essential album for fans of the era who want an overview of such music.
55 comments| 36 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
TOP 1000 REVIEWERon 28 December 2008
Listening to this CD set brought back so many memories of my childhood. Not my music, but my parents!

As a small child I remember The Everley Brothers, Billy Fury, Elvis, Connie Francis, Brenda Lee and all of the others being played on our stereogram. It's music I grew up with, my father twirling me round while dancing with me. Even though I was only a small child I recognize most of the songs on this compilation, they've stood the test of time and sound just as great today as they did back then - pure nostalgia!

A double CD set with over 50 tracks, a great collection and a must buy for any fan of music from the 50's and 60's.
on 6 November 2008
What a great compilation, fab songs, what a great era for music!! And what a treat, the Jason Donovan song is fantastic! I have just heard it on the radio and although its a new song its sounds just like Jason is doing a guest vocal spot on an original Shadows track! And its actually Hank Marvin playing on it! Buy it now!!
on 6 November 2008
The tag-line says "Original Hits, Original Artists" but the Jerry Lee Lewis hit "Great Balls OF Fire" is not the 1950s studio recording with the great timing that I remember, but some live version from '63 wirh girl backing singers and a rather laid-back rendition. Maybe the original song, but not the original hit recording. Shame, beacuse I was hoping to have that recording on CD, as I only have it on vinyl. I was also puzzled by the lone Elvis song "It's Now Or Never", when I would have preferred songs like "Jailhouse Rock", "Heartbreak Hotel", "Blue Suede Shoes", "Hound Dog" or "All Shook Up" rather than a song from Elvis' post-army period. Probably down to licensing costs (again). However the sound quality of the recordings, like the first compilation in the series is great!
VINE VOICEon 16 February 2009
Another great compilation.most of these were pre Beatles so they were and are not played as much as they should be.The Beatles swept away a whole swathe of both British and US artistes who we never heard of again but were very good. Del Shannon survived and was headlining the Beatles first tour.

My early teen years was populated by Bobby Vee Lesley Gore and Brian Hyland. Bill Haley brought acceptable rock and roll to Britain in the fifties with Rock around the clock.Roy Orbison was loved in Britain

In Britain by the mid sixties you could hear almost continuous pop music but when these songs first came out we did not have access to so much. I always look for tracks that are not so often on compilations .

On this one for instance there is To know him is to love him on CD one and on CD two the great Like I do by Maureen Evans and Please Don't ever change by the Crickets.These tracks you never hear on the radio.

There is a good mix of the well known with the less well known.

It takes you back to post war Britain holidays at the seaside fish and chips the end of National service.

It is hard to believe how things were shops closed ON Sundays, only BBC to listen to. Nowadays we have unlimited music but is it worth listening to?

Great nostalgia and great music that has stood the test of time.
In the Mid-Fifties 'Bill Hayley' and the 'Comets' featured in the film 'Rock around the Clock' since when his name has always been associated with the birth of 'rock n roll' most certainly the music scene was changed forever, it was truly the beginning of a golden age of 'Rock' and 'Pop'.
Many of the top artists of that time are featured on this album which covers hits from the mid-fifties through to the early and mid sixties,
Of course many major artists are not featured, but there are a few 'one-hit' wonders on board.
However included are some rock legends like 'fats domino' 'Little Richard' ( one of the great stage performers of the era ) 'Jerry Lee' who's best remembered 'Great Balls of Fire' is included, as of course is 'Bill Hayley'
I will just highlight a few examples of what can be expected on each of the two discs........disc one........'Three Steps To Heaven' --
'Eddie Cochrane'........'Roy Orbison' --'In Dreams'........'Adam Faith' --'Poor Me'........'Bryan Hyland' --'Sealed With a Kiss'........'Bill Hayley' --'Shake Rattle and Roll'........and........'Tab Hunter' --'Young Love'...........just a sample of the many memories to be found on disc one..........disc two........'Elvis' --'It's Now or Never'........'The Everlys' --'Till I Kissed Her'........'Buddy Holly' --'Rave On'........
'Tommy Roe' --'Shelia'........'Billy Fury' --'I'll Never Find Another You'........'Conway Twitty' --'It's Only Make Believe'........and........
'The Platters' --'The Great Pretender'........again just a few of the fondly remembered tracks to be found on disc's got to
be worth checking out the complete play-list if you like the look of the few i've highlighted.
Sadly many of the artists featured are no longer with us including 'The King'..'Elvis' the big 'O' Roy Orbison' and of course the great ' Buddy Holly' and 'Eddie Cochrane' the latter two having died in tragic accidents.
'Adam faith' and 'Billy fury' are also among those no longer with us, earlier this year we also lost one-half of The Everlys, youngest brother, 'Phil' ....there are several more among the cast that are no longer with us, ...but their star shines bright..........the music they left behind lives on along with the memories many of us still have of them.
on 21 October 2016
I have been collecting many compilations like this to replace a pile of 60's singles which I no longer have.They are very good but I now have some tracks as much as five or six times.I wish that Universal would start again and bring out year by year double cd's so that I do not have to duplicate so many tracks.A good idea would be as in the "Now Thats What I Call Music"by going back year by year to the late fifties all through the sixties.That way I would not have so many tracks so many times.But besides that "Dreamboats.." have always been first class recordings.
To think I bought this as a small present to accompany my mum's main birthday gift! I might as well have saved my money on the 'big' present!!!

This whole 2-CD compilation has already been played at least 10 times over since I gave it to my mum 2 days ago. She has been thrilled to find some of her all time favourite 'records' by artists such as Bobby Vee, Marty Wilde, Mark Wynter and Johnny Tillotson (as well as the first record she ever bought - Elvis Presley's 'It's Now or Never') presented on this compilation.

In addition to her old favourites, mum really enjoyed the new bonus track by Jason Donovan and Hank Marvin. Worth every penny!
on 23 June 2016
Lots of great songs, I bet you can't sit still and listen to this. If you are on your feet it will have you bopping around. Neighbours may have planned getting the cat protection league in when I started singing!
on 29 January 2009
Most compilations that I see refer to original artists. However since they are from Americia they are referring to Americian artists. The
songs which made the charts in Britain are often by a British artist
and not the one who made it big in Americia. This CD, however, is from
the British charts. When a song is played I know every word and the
artist that sings it is the one that I expect to hear. A first class
product. Hopefully near christmas Number 3 will be released.