Format: Audio CD|Change

on 12 January 2003
Brilliant album. I believe this is one of their finest albums and that includes the core 7. Wonderful songs.Tehnically breathtaking. They rock or can make you cry. Running Water is a superb ballad and I think one of Justin Haywards best.Why do the Moodies think this is a bad album and refuse to play any of the music from the album at any of their concerts? Recorded 20 years ago and sounds fresh today as it did then. Superb.
33 comments| 26 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 28 February 2002
This is by far my favourite Moody Blues album and one of my favourite albums of all time. There is not a single track that will disappoint here from the Rock and Roll classics such as 'Blue World' and 'Sitting by the Wheel' to the quietly reflective 'Running Water' and 'Sorry'. If you like Justin Hayward's music or The Moody Blues at all then buy this album!
on 14 May 2013
For years "The Present" was heralded as an insignificant album for the Moody Blues. Some people felt it was rushed to cash in on the success of "Long Distance Voyager". However, slowly but, surely, this album has crept up from the backbone of the fans to become one of the Moody's most memorable albums and has developed a cult following of fans that would love to hear at least a cut or two from this LP included in their live show. "Sitting at the Wheel", "Blue World", & "Running Water" quickly come to mind.

Anyone with an eye for art would have picked up on the take off of Maxfield Parrish's "Daybreak" as the album cover. Making some fans covet the vinyl album even more and some to want it on Vinyl to get the FULL EFFECT of the artwork of the cover (something that is sadly lacking in cd's and mp3's).

Music fans today who are not into Vinyl have no idea what they're missing but they are catching on quickly!

"The Present" has some fine guitar work from Justin, some incredible bass work from John, and Patrick Moraz on the keyboards really make this album shine.
It's still one of my favorites as time passes, it's becoming more and more THE "classic" or "favorite" of many of the fans due to the overlooked work on this album that is easily appreciated after a few listens. Be surprised. Good Moody Blues On This CD.
on 27 September 2012
This CD is good quality with a melodic pop, well written and nice melodies. This CD along with Long Distance Voyager form two of the 80 albums that deserve to be known. The fans can not fail to have them especially this remastered version. The songs "Blue World," "Meet Me Halfway" and "Under My Feet" are preferred, but there are other pretty well. Note 8.5. Very good!
on 10 October 2014
Sound quality is very good arrived in good time packaged as usual in good condition. Some how this album passed me by at the time of release so I mist it first time round but I'm glad I got it, some songs are really good and remind me of the Moodies of old, recommended if your a fan and missed it like me.
on 9 April 2012
I Have just listened to this after not playing it for many years - I can see why some people run it down but to be honest, what we have here is a typical "2nd period" Moodies album. In other words, it isnt on a par with the "classic first 7 albums" but is no worse than many other rock albums being released around that time. I have no grouse with Patrick Moraz - his keyboard work is fine and if it has dated then it is no worse than any other keyboard / syn-drum record of that era. My complaint is simply that the songs are not that strong. There are one or two notable exceptions- Blue world is a great opener and Running water is possibly one of the best songs that Justin Hayward ever sang. Most of the rest are "OK" , the only track I skip completely is Sitting at the wheel which (to my ears) sounds like Jane wiedlin's "Rush hour" with John Lodge on vocals. Not a good thing. So, buy it to somplete the set if you are an ardent fan. If not, download Blue world and Running water is my advice .......
on 15 April 2009
My introduction to the band, outside of Nights... and Tuesday Afternoon, didn't come until Long Distance Voyager. For me the aforementioned title and The Present are Classic Moodies and deserve to be placed along side the Classic Seven. Glad to see it's finally been remastered.
on 3 November 2013
This Album was quite a "departure" from their old style of music as I've only got it on vinyl I had forgotten what it was like ... even after all these years it is still very "fresh" sounding
on 11 February 2013
1st Listening: This blew me away...a great album..great songs...IF you are going to buy one-buy this one...they werent having an off day here, full of great stuff..this will get listened to over and over..Thank you for your wonderful contribution to my music collection
11 comment|Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 18 July 2014
This is not what I would call a typical "Moody Blues" album. It has none of the earlier subtleties of melody and harmony, but it still OK.
Moraz is a less than gifted musician when compared to the greats of the time, and the fact that Yes dispensed with him pretty quickly sums up his contribution.