Format: Blu-ray|Change

This sampler disc has thirteen segments, each between three and four minutes long, from some of the world's most famous operas and from a couple of ballets. It is in parts the 'greatest hits' of opera, i.e. the bits that have been used in TV adverts.

Each of the excerpts is from a full-length Blu-Ray of that particular performance, and are essentially an advert for buying the full-length show. Most of the parts are complete songs or pieces, but a couple of them have rather abrupt edits in them which is a bit irritating.

It's also intended as a promotion for the HD Blu-ray format, and in parts it's visually stunning- especially in the ballets to see all the dancers in such clarity, but also in the operas where close-ups of the action make you feel like you're practically on-stage.

At less than 50 minutes of material (not 60 minutes as the description claims), it's not the most fulfilling of Blu-ray discs but it's a good starter. If (like me) you're only going to have one opera disc in your collection, it might as well be this one.
on 9 April 2016
The tracks are excellent, but, in my opinion, many of them are a bad choice to demonstrate to the first time buyer (ME), the qualities of Blu-ray.
Many of the recordings take place in relative gloom, and I was expecting them to take place in bright, colourful settings. There would have been not a great difference if this had been an ordinary DVD. Thankfully, I ordered Tosca and Cinderella at the same time, and at last I was able to enjoy
a genuine Blu-ray experience. Could not fault the sound.
on 22 June 2009
Meant to be a showpiece of what is available on operatic and ballet Opus Arte BDs, I find this a mixed success and it did not entice me to buy the originals (although I have bought many, more inspite of, than because of, this disc).
However it is inexpensive so is worth the few dollars asked but I doubt if it would persuade anyone who is not interested in the genre to suddenly collect opera and ballet BDs.
That said it does illustrate the effectiveness of BD for showing opera and ballet and does include the brilliant (both technically and artistically) "Queen of the Night" aria from Mozart's "magic Flute" so the disc is worth the cost for this item alone.
on 16 August 2012
No comment on the quality of the various recordings on this disc (they are indeed fine), but be aware that it is just a compilation of small extracts from various productions from "Opus Arte" and that NONE of the aries or songs are in full length - they just stop, once you have fallen into the music. This is the kind of product that you should expect to get for free as a promotional gift when buying an "Opus Arte" product, not something you should pay for!
on 15 December 2009
Perhaps I expected too much from this disc. I am an opera fan and I knew this disc would contain many short segments, but I hoped it would show off specifically what Blu-ray added to the recorded operatic experience. The sound was adequate but did not blow me away, and in many of the excerpts the picture was not especially better than my existing upscaled DVD's. However, one cannot complain at the price, and as an introduction to the genres it is commendable.
on 25 March 2009
This video played on a Panasonic multi region Blue Ray player brings opera & ballet to where it deserves to be. You can see the effort required in reaching those high notes in opera and those intricate movements in ballet. An excellent introduction to Blue Ray, it helps you decide which complete works to go for at a competitve price. Highly recommend to watch this BEFORE you commit to the whole work.
on 4 June 2014
This Is a demo of various Ballet and operas.... i got it to test my new 55" Samsung smart tv and Bose Cinema system.... the picture quality and sound was epic... the perfect demo to show off to your friends :D
on 19 February 2010
I purchased this product to see if my blue ray player would in fact play NTSC discs.
( I am new to blue-ray) It does and I was quite suprised to not only confirm the fact that I can play NTSC discs but also the Opera & Ballet Highlights are most entertaining. So I vote it good value for money.
on 20 October 2015
wonderful its a pity that the full DVD program's shown are all so expensive to purchase !
on 8 April 2009
As many others I want to start a collection of Bluray-disks, so this was one of my choices.
And it surprised me, because it was very, very interesting to learn about ballet and opera in England with singers, that I have never heard about before.
But they were really enjoyable, and I plan to order some of the works, that this disk is representing.
I would especially like to mention The Fledermaus, which is extremely funny - and I am impressed by the ballet performances.
Now the only question is, why in the world have I not heard about these artist before