on 4 March 2004
I have loved 'The Planets' since a young child, but there has been a problem since then: No recording of this work has quite lived up to the Dynamic i remember experiencing when i heard this music played live at the Liverpool Philharmonic.
The digital format raised hopes, but did not deliver. I have heard numerous recordings on vinyl and CD, played by orchestras from many countries. The best version i had was an 80's LSO recording, until this came along...
The Direct Stream Digital recording medium and an awesome performance by the current LSO makes me feel i have come home; THIS is the one! This CD is simply the best quality recorded performance of The Planets i have ever heard, it is breathtaking in it's scope.
Mark
44 comments| 141 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 18 February 2006
Every time you listen to this CD you will be amazed at the quality of it. Excellent playing from the orchestra under the experienced direction of Davis- he makes the music shine; flexible and powerful playing from the LSO. The recording is surely demonstration quality; you cannot listen to the start of "Mars" - or any other section of the set -and not be amazed by the clarity of the sound.
For the price, this is an excellent set; it remains one of the best even compared to rivals that cost much more.
on 6 February 2012
I was searching for an album of the planets for quite a while,nothing struck me at all then I spotted this particular album and the name sir colin davis a name I new from a long way back when he was not "sir" an experimental album with a group called Deep Purple, I listened to a few excerpts and I decided to purchase what a delight sound quality excellent
on 22 October 2012
Holst's Planet Suite has to rate high on the favourite list with many a classical music enthusiast. For me, it's one of those rare compositions which possesses personality as well as atmosphere.
Before buying, I dithered and dawdled over choosing a new recording (after accidentally scratching an old, quiet, and frankly mediocre version). But after reading all available reviews, I chose this one - and hoped! I am pleased to find that this is so very much better than my old CD, which is now used to scare rabbits from my Azaleas. Truly, this is a superior recording, such crisp yet warm sound.
I love turning the volume up ear-bustingly loud for Mars and Uranus.
VINE VOICEon 19 May 2004
Early 20th-century British composer Holst had a Germanic name (he was of Latvian-Russian descent) but was deeply influenced by British folk music. Hence, his music is as rooted in English tradition as Vaughn Williams or Britten. His "Planets", a series of tone poems creates a symphonic work of great magnificence, and is very popular even with those who are not classic music buffs. It's often used for documentaries, film and and theatrical works for its evocative melodies and sonorous rhythms.
Never has this suite been more wonderfully recorded than by Colin Davis. Davis and the London Symphony avoid some of the cliche mannerisms of many recordings-- in "Jupiter" there is balance of the buoyant spirit with weightiness that never goes over the top.
Incidentally, there is a "Pluto" section composed by Colin Matthews (not on this recording) that was added after Holst's death to complete the solar system, Pluto not having been discovered during Holst's lifetime. An interesting bit of trivia.
on 27 February 2014
This was the first classical record we were introduced to as children, very young children and I was blown away by it. To think a person translates his idea of planets into such sounds is impressive. One can disappear into the Universe with this music. He's even managed to bring emotion into those planets with his incredible musical version of them.
Incredible. You may not like all of them but please give it a chance and if you find one too much try another, personally I have a favourite planet myself, rather like one has a favourite track on a more modern genre CD or record.
Arrived in perfect condition and in the timescale promised.
on 30 April 2011
I used to have a copy of the planets as covered by the Berlin symphony orchestra. Unfortunately I lost it so I bought this one and have to say what beautiful music this was. It was as good as the original one that I lost, the London symphony orchestra pulled off an absolute masterpiece here. Thoroughly recommended.
on 18 September 2013
I must confess to being at a loss to explain the other reviews here. Adored The Planets since I was a kid, and thought it was about time to get a really good version. This, sadly, isn't it.

Colin Davis sounds awfully like he was very keen to get to the bar. Mars seems to positively skip along - not so much the Bringer of War, as the Bringer of Mild Disagreement, with none of the weight or heft I'd remembered. The balance seemed off too - much too present, strange predominances abound, as everything was close mic'd, whereas I just wanted to step back. Jupiter starts beautifully but seems to unravel as the complexity increases, and the emotional whallop never hits.

Days later, unable to cope with it any more, I bought the remastered Adrian Boult's 1978 performance. Oh boy. From Mars' opening bar, there it all was - the weight, the heft, the sheer MEANACE building to the unleashing of hell (if you will). Everything in its right place (oh, and Elgar's Enigma Variations bundled in too). Perhaps the man who conducted the debut performance in 1917 could never be bettered. Strongly urge people interested in this to get Boult's recording instead.
on 23 January 2014
Like others here, I have loved this music since I was a small child. I still have my much abused original 1953 recording, which I have listened to thousands of times. I have tried other digital recordings, but have always come away feeling slightly cheated. However this version is superb, generating in me the same depth of emotion as my beloved and very scratchy vinyl recording. Not having listened to the Planets for some years now, I was taken aback by just how powerful and majestic this music is. This version truly does it justice. If you love The Planets, you'll love this performance.
on 9 May 2014
I first bought the Planets Suite on vinyl when I worked at Decca at the age of 16 (over 54 years ago) and have loved it ever since. The CD is an excellent version and I just adore listening to it. With the sound turned up high, you can imagine Mars the God of War charging across the sky towards the planet of the same name. A very good buy.