on 30 March 2009
I bought this radio on the strength of the Roberts name and the three reviews on this page. I was not disappointed. It's a cracking radio,solidly built with a great sound. Its easy to use,and has two possible power sources.You can use the mains adaptor or batteries,either rechargable(the radio will recharge them when not in use)or the ordinary alkaline.You just have to move a small switch to tell the radio which type of battery you are using. It tunes into all DAB stations when you first switch it on and its a simple job to store up to six channels, and also with the FM band.
Excellent radio.
99 comments| 638 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 4 January 2009
I needed a small DAB radio with good reception and output and this is just what I've got. It provides excellent coverage with virtually no aerial extension where we live in Somerset and has performed equally well on a caravan site in south Devon. Simple to use and does most of the hard work for you. I like the idea of using rechargeable batteries and having them recharged, in situ, by just using the mains transformer from time to time. What would I have liked - an alarm function, but I knew it didn't have it, so this is just me being greedy. For anyone lookling for a small, portable DAB radio with great performance, look no further.Roberts Ecologic 1 DAB/FM RDS Radio with built-in AA charger
0Comment| 385 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 11 October 2012
The sound quality was fine. However, 13 months after purchase, the on-off button began to function very erratically; sometimes it would work normally, at other times it failed to switch the radio on. It is disappointing that this radio functioned for only 13 months, and was consequently out of warranty. I paid £52 for the radio; the cost of repair by the manufacturer would be about £45 including postage. Roberts radios have a good reputation, but I am reluctant to buy another one.
3232 comments| 149 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 26 December 2008
I was extremely pleased with this as a Christmas gift to replace the long-serving FM/LW radio in my kitchen. The reception had never been brill and microwave and other electric items in the kitchen rendered it inaudible. This Roberts is light years ahead of the old one. The sound is great; it is simple to operate; it is mains and rechargeable-battery operated and still has the option of FM Band. FM is still useful as I can used it to pick up local stations which digital cannot get (I want Radio Stoke from 45 miles away!)
This radio is priced less that my first DAB radio, 50 quid as opposed to 80 quid. It has extra features and 6 presets for each band giving 12 in total - ample for me.
0Comment| 253 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 16 February 2009
I bought this without seeing it, which was a bit of a risk - but it is just brilliant. It's really small so hardly takes up any room in my rather tiny kitchen, has amazingly good sound, AND it charges its own batteries while it's plugged into the mains. I like this feature as it means the batteries are always ready - I like having mine in the bathroom when I'm having a soak in the bath. It's also easy to use - which is good as I'm not very patient with new electronic objects!
0Comment| 94 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 20 July 2009
received this in time to listen to five live sport for the golf and cricket.
Superb battery lasting power and really convenient not having to remove batteries to charge them and great signal and sound. Does everything I was looking for as I wanted a portable radio as can easily listen to radio stations on television at home.
on 24 April 2009
This was my very first DAB radio, and I have to say I was blown away. Most people had recommended a Pure Evoke, but there was something about the Roberts that appealed to me. Sure, theres a lot of plastic, but its actually very well made (as you'd expect from Roberts) and the sound quality is amazing. I purchased this for the cricket and its almost as if I'm sitting in Lords! For the money, this is an absolute bargain.
on 3 January 2011
FULL REVIEW of version 4.0.13

This small radio is well built with a solid feel to the buttons. However, the glossy plastic easily collects fingerprints and scratches. Even a soft lint free cloth will create minor surface scratches.

Accessing functions is mostly direct from the buttons on the front panel with a couple of less frequently used functions in an easy to use on-screen menu.

The menus are displayed on the Ecologic's 16 character by 2 line LCDisplay. This has a slower refresh and less contrast than my parents version 2 model. After some checking I discovered this wasn't a fault of my model but seems to be an unwelcome effort to extend battery life. It certainly makes scroll text harder to read than on the old model but it is still legible. Unfortunately, there are no contrast controls so you're stuck with factory defaults.

On the display, you can cycle through: scroll text, program type, multiplex name, time and date, frequency, bit rate and audio type and signal strength. The time and date are set automatically, while stations are autotuned when the radio is first turned on.

Sound is very good with little distortion even at high volume. Voices are clear and crisp and music is bright, if lacking bass as is usual with this type of speaker. Unfortunately there are no controls to alter the sound field such as treble or bass controls.

There are 16 steps to the volume, down from 20 in version 2 and now displays as a bar instead of numbers. The volume envelope has also changed, giving finer control over the lower volumes which is good for those listening through headphones or at night. If you are in a noisy environment, the radio has adjustable dynamic range control that boosts quiet sounds to make them louder.

Reception is excellent. In the village where I live, I don't even bother to extend the aerial while in areas of poor reception it hangs on well to weak signals. When the aerial is extended and you can't move the radio into perfect position for reception, there is a manual override to tweak the tuning by pressing and holding the select button. Failing that, there is the RDS FM receiver to fall back on to. In FM mode you can select auto and manual tuning, local or distant search for stations and mono or stereo reception (you will get better reception with mono selected so leave it in mono if you are not using headphones).

Battery life is quoted by the manufacturer at 25 hours but on rechargeable NiCads I get around 22 hours on half volume (which is plenty loud enough for a small office or large living room). With non-rechargeable batteries (or better quality NiCads) and lower volume you might get nearer the 25 hour mark.

The built in battery charger is activated by a small switch when you first insert the batteries. The radio will then automatically charge the radio whenever it is plugged into the mains and the radio is switched off. Charging is indicated by a flashing light on the front panel. It's worth mentioning that if you are comparing this radio to a Pure radio, all Pure radios require a custom £30 battery if you want to make use of the charger.

On the side, there is a handy lock switch so that you can't accidentally change a setting. There are 5 station presets for each band (FM and digital) making 10 in total. However, that is about as far as it goes with fancy features: there is no line in, text pause (although it scrolls so slow you really wont need it), alarm, timer or USB port. All these features can be found on equivalent Pure radios.

In all, this is a fantastic radio simply because of the excellent reception, good sound, ease of use, sturdy build and good reliability. If you can live without the extra features, this radio is highly recommended.
on 7 June 2009
I have bought two of these radios - the first for my ex-wife as a Christmas present because FM reception was so bad - and the second for me because she and I were so impressed with it. Reception is excellent. It is small and easy to carry around. It's easy to use. But what sold this particular model for me was the built in charger that allows me to use rechargable batteries without having to keep another set already charged. Most DBA radios are either mains only or require rechargables to be swapped out to charge. My only qubble is I wish it had more presets.
33 comments| 72 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 24 July 2009
This combination DAB/FM radio is really impressive. Unlike some DAB radios, the battery life seems good and I like the fact that you can use rechargeable batteries, leave the radio plugged in overnight or during the day and the batteries are recharged for you. (You have to use NiMH AA batteries).
If you want, you can use ordinary AA batteries or leave the radio plugged in of course.
It's also light and very portable, sound from speaker is mono but clear, it seems to pull in a lot of DAB stations, (more than some other DAB radios I have).
There's a useful headphone socket and 10 presets (5 on FM, 5 on DAB). Would be nice to have more but you can't have everything.
All in all, it's very good.