on 30 March 2009
I bought this radio on the strength of the Roberts name and the three reviews on this page. I was not disappointed. It's a cracking radio,solidly built with a great sound. Its easy to use,and has two possible power sources.You can use the mains adaptor or batteries,either rechargable(the radio will recharge them when not in use)or the ordinary alkaline.You just have to move a small switch to tell the radio which type of battery you are using. It tunes into all DAB stations when you first switch it on and its a simple job to store up to six channels, and also with the FM band.
Excellent radio.
99 Comments| 638 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 20 July 2009
received this in time to listen to five live sport for the golf and cricket.
Superb battery lasting power and really convenient not having to remove batteries to charge them and great signal and sound. Does everything I was looking for as I wanted a portable radio as can easily listen to radio stations on television at home.
on 20 June 2014
This is an excellent radio with DAB and FM. No long wave but most of those stations are on DAB anyway, and no shortwave, but if you are into shortwave you will be looking at other products anyway. This is one of the simpler DAB radios to use, take it out of the box, batteries in, switch to DAB and it tunes itself. Easy to store the pre-sets. Good sound for a portable radio. A couple of things to note - 1 - it doesn't have a clock so doesn't have related functions such as alarm or sleep (that wasn't a feature I wanted) but if you want time display, on DAB you can choose what info you want displaying beneath the station name, one of which is the time and date. 2 - batteries, standard batteries are lasting about a week with heavy use on DAB (typical to be fair). Since most men don't read the instruction book here's a tip; if using re-chargeable batteries there's a little tiny switch inside the battery compartment to switch between standard and re-chargeable batteries. One tiny comment I would make on design, the larger up & down arrow buttons are for tuning, whereas you instinctively first think it's the volume control. But otherwise it's a nice neat design and layout. As soon as we received the first one I ordered another - one for upstairs and one for downstairs, so would I recommend? Yes!
on 10 November 2012
Bought this as a new bathroom radio so it gets maybe a couple of hours listen a day, batteries seem to last for ages unlike most DABs. Nice clear sound, a little compressed due to the small speaker and would benefit from a tone control (why do so few DABs have these??). One minor niggle, the volume buttons could be bigger.

Updated review after 3 months use; in keeping with others the on/off switch has "gone". Really not good enough for a £50 radio with the Roberts brand on. Avoid.
on 10 November 2013
When the on/off switch gave up after 1 year (works unreliably, getting worse until really annoying), I bought a different radio. When that one died, I bought a second one of these Ecologic1's, That shows how much I like the neat size, good sound, easy to use.
But now the on/off switch is doing the same thing, after about 6 months of fairly heavy use. Either there's something wrong with my right thumb (?) or there is a reliability fault.
It's a great radio, but I won't be buying a 3rd.
on 25 March 2012
Great little radio. Sound quality good. Reception amazing, even in my basement home where the freeview box needed a booster. Those poor of sight will need help with making presets, but once these are done the radio is very user friendly even to those of us with challenges both of sight and in use of hands. Economical to run, I've gone with using the built in charger to fire up the rechargeable batteries that were recommended to buy with it. Sound quality equally good on battery and on mains. Perfect purchase !
on 11 August 2017
I have bought 5 of these. 3 for presents - cannot speak highly enough of this compact radio should have 10 stars
on 27 December 2012
Sexy looking and easy to use. I've had it over a year now and listen everyday. I love radio 4extra. The lost star is because it refuses to turn off. Why shut off with one button push when you can have 3 or 4. I love it really.
on 7 December 2010
I did a lot or research before buying this as I have always thought that DAB radios were expensive but I decided that I wanted a small portable radio to listen to in my home office but could be taken with me on trips away.
I looked at a number of different types, mainly Roberts and Pure, and having listened to some of them I thought the Roberts had a better sound and build quality. I went for the Ecologic 1 as it was nice and small and would run off AA batteries including rechargeable ones, charged by the in built charger.
I have had the radio for 2 weeks now and could not be more pleased. The reception is excellent and the sound quality is really good too considering it is only a 0.5 watt speaker.
It is well built and easy to use. It charged my well used 2000mah rechargeable batteries from flat to fully charged in about 4 to 5 hours and they lasted about 16.5 hours over 10 days. My only complaint is that you only get 1 or 2 flashes of the battery warning light before the thing dies so I have ordered some more rechargeable batteries Duracell Supreme AA 2450mAh Rechargeable Pack of 4 Batteries to have a spare set with me when I travel. Make sure you change the switch in the battery compartment to the type of batteries you are using, i.e. rechargeable or alkaline.
I would thoroughly recommend this radio as I am very pleased with it.
on 17 April 2014
I am delighted with this very well designed radio. It practically installs itself and I like the facility to install rechargeable batteries. The sound quality is amazing for such a small radio. It has 5 preset stations on DAB and 5 on FM which was enough for all my favourites.