on 30 March 2009
I bought this radio on the strength of the Roberts name and the three reviews on this page. I was not disappointed. It's a cracking radio,solidly built with a great sound. Its easy to use,and has two possible power sources.You can use the mains adaptor or batteries,either rechargable(the radio will recharge them when not in use)or the ordinary alkaline.You just have to move a small switch to tell the radio which type of battery you are using. It tunes into all DAB stations when you first switch it on and its a simple job to store up to six channels, and also with the FM band.
Excellent radio.
99 Comments| 638 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 20 July 2009
received this in time to listen to five live sport for the golf and cricket.
Superb battery lasting power and really convenient not having to remove batteries to charge them and great signal and sound. Does everything I was looking for as I wanted a portable radio as can easily listen to radio stations on television at home.
on 10 November 2012
Bought this as a new bathroom radio so it gets maybe a couple of hours listen a day, batteries seem to last for ages unlike most DABs. Nice clear sound, a little compressed due to the small speaker and would benefit from a tone control (why do so few DABs have these??). One minor niggle, the volume buttons could be bigger.

Updated review after 3 months use; in keeping with others the on/off switch has "gone". Really not good enough for a £50 radio with the Roberts brand on. Avoid.
on 10 November 2013
When the on/off switch gave up after 1 year (works unreliably, getting worse until really annoying), I bought a different radio. When that one died, I bought a second one of these Ecologic1's, That shows how much I like the neat size, good sound, easy to use.
But now the on/off switch is doing the same thing, after about 6 months of fairly heavy use. Either there's something wrong with my right thumb (?) or there is a reliability fault.
It's a great radio, but I won't be buying a 3rd.
on 25 March 2012
Great little radio. Sound quality good. Reception amazing, even in my basement home where the freeview box needed a booster. Those poor of sight will need help with making presets, but once these are done the radio is very user friendly even to those of us with challenges both of sight and in use of hands. Economical to run, I've gone with using the built in charger to fire up the rechargeable batteries that were recommended to buy with it. Sound quality equally good on battery and on mains. Perfect purchase !
on 7 December 2010
I did a lot or research before buying this as I have always thought that DAB radios were expensive but I decided that I wanted a small portable radio to listen to in my home office but could be taken with me on trips away.
I looked at a number of different types, mainly Roberts and Pure, and having listened to some of them I thought the Roberts had a better sound and build quality. I went for the Ecologic 1 as it was nice and small and would run off AA batteries including rechargeable ones, charged by the in built charger.
I have had the radio for 2 weeks now and could not be more pleased. The reception is excellent and the sound quality is really good too considering it is only a 0.5 watt speaker.
It is well built and easy to use. It charged my well used 2000mah rechargeable batteries from flat to fully charged in about 4 to 5 hours and they lasted about 16.5 hours over 10 days. My only complaint is that you only get 1 or 2 flashes of the battery warning light before the thing dies so I have ordered some more rechargeable batteries Duracell Supreme AA 2450mAh Rechargeable Pack of 4 Batteries to have a spare set with me when I travel. Make sure you change the switch in the battery compartment to the type of batteries you are using, i.e. rechargeable or alkaline.
I would thoroughly recommend this radio as I am very pleased with it.
on 11 October 2012
The sound quality was fine. However, 13 months after purchase, the on-off button began to function very erratically; sometimes it would work normally, at other times it failed to switch the radio on. It is disappointing that this radio functioned for only 13 months, and was consequently out of warranty. I paid £52 for the radio; the cost of repair by the manufacturer would be about £45 including postage. Roberts radios have a good reputation, but I am reluctant to buy another one.
3333 Comments| 149 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 26 December 2008
I was extremely pleased with this as a Christmas gift to replace the long-serving FM/LW radio in my kitchen. The reception had never been brill and microwave and other electric items in the kitchen rendered it inaudible. This Roberts is light years ahead of the old one. The sound is great; it is simple to operate; it is mains and rechargeable-battery operated and still has the option of FM Band. FM is still useful as I can used it to pick up local stations which digital cannot get (I want Radio Stoke from 45 miles away!)
This radio is priced less that my first DAB radio, 50 quid as opposed to 80 quid. It has extra features and 6 presets for each band giving 12 in total - ample for me.
0Comment| 253 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 16 February 2009
I bought this without seeing it, which was a bit of a risk - but it is just brilliant. It's really small so hardly takes up any room in my rather tiny kitchen, has amazingly good sound, AND it charges its own batteries while it's plugged into the mains. I like this feature as it means the batteries are always ready - I like having mine in the bathroom when I'm having a soak in the bath. It's also easy to use - which is good as I'm not very patient with new electronic objects!
0Comment| 94 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 24 April 2009
This was my very first DAB radio, and I have to say I was blown away. Most people had recommended a Pure Evoke, but there was something about the Roberts that appealed to me. Sure, theres a lot of plastic, but its actually very well made (as you'd expect from Roberts) and the sound quality is amazing. I purchased this for the cricket and its almost as if I'm sitting in Lords! For the money, this is an absolute bargain.