on 27 June 2009
I bought this as a present for my mums birthday as she wanted a hifi but with a turntable so she can play her old records but still have something that plays a cd! And i have to say she loves it and so do i, it looks realy nice and plays everything perfectly! The only thing i thought was going to let it down was the sound but the speaker are actualy realy good and the volumes goes quite high on it! If your thinking of buying it i would say go for it as its just perfect!
22 comments| 196 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 13 February 2011
Purchased so that my Mother could have a simple and compact all-in-one music unit mainly for CD's and records

There are some things which instantly point to this being a budget unit and other things which, if you didn't know better, would make you think it was a pretty good system.

The good bits -
By far the best part of this is the quality of sound it manages to produce. The sound would not impress a fanatic, but for average listeners it is great. The volume could be turned right up on a classical music cd and it was crystal clear with a rich and deep sound. I have heard more expensive modern systems not sound half as good. It rivals a JVC iPOD dock I bought recently.

Despite a couple of daft design flaws, it looks and feels really good. It has the look of a much more expensive player.

CD player works well and the buttons, all located on the front panel, are easy to see and use. The CD display is a red L.E.D which just shows the track number, the digits are big and clear.

Turntable works great the mechanism is a little flimsy but again, for the price, it is fine and will last if looked after.

Radio tuner is backlit when radio is selected.

Build quality of the cabinet itself is solid.

Negative points -
Poor quality hinge and locking arm on the lid, but I dont see a big problem if it is looked after.

There is no bass or treble control, thankfully the sound is really good so it can be forgiven for lacking this basic function

The radio tuner is by far the worst part of the whole unit,it looks great but when you try to us it you find it is cheap, nasty and nearly impossible to tune with any level of accuracy due to the poor mechanism. No problem if you set it to a station and forget about it, but dont get this unit if you regularly change stations you will end up throwing it out the window.

The cassette player, located on the side panel, is like the old single-sided in-car players where you slot the cassette in length ways. The only tape controls are "play" (by inserting the cassette), "eject" (by fully depressing the button) and "fast-forward" (By partially depressing the button) there is no pause, stop, rewind or record. Because of it being stuck around the corner on the side panel, you need to position the player somewhere that ensures access to the right hand side if you want to use the tape. The mechanism is clunky but it does the job.

The lift and turn mechanism for the turntable stylus arm is sticks out a little far (It extends about an inch over the edge of a LP record) so when putting on or taking off a LP just remember it may not sit properly without giving it a wiggle.

There is no motorised auto-return for the stylus arm.

In summary -
For the price, this is a good music system if you mainly use it for CDs and records. Avoid if you are looking for something that predominantly plays tapes and radio as the the lack of functions will be frustrating. It is sturdy and heavy so it doesnt skid around the table when you try to use it with one hand like most cheap plastic music players. If I knew someone else who needed a simple CD and Record player I would not hesitate to recommend this one.
44 comments| 176 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 5 February 2009
We needed a replacement for our ageing hi-fi system that had radio, cassette and record playing facilities. We also had space limitations so the Crosley all-in one system seemed to be ideal. It was despatched within five days of our order and arrived promptly. The controls are a bit basic but they all work. Cassettes are quite slow to wind/rewind but that is not a major problem. The radio is restricted to AM and FM and therefore suffers from poor reception at times. It is dial tuned and, having a small dial, is difficult to tune accurately so some programmes can interfere with other programmes. However, if you want a good-looking retro-style player at a reasonable price that takes up little space, this could be for you. We are generally pleased with our purchase.
33 comments| 174 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 4 December 2008
Exactly what we wanted - plays everything we own. Beautiful cabinet looks and FEELS right. Would recommend to anyone with a mixed bag of favourite music - don't bin your singles, L.P.'s or cassettes. No tone adjustment, but the sound quality is surely good enough for most people's needs. Will make a perfect present for anyone over 30 !
on 3 November 2011
I bought this item for my 35 yr old daughter's birthday as she likes old vinyl records but does not have a record player to play them on. She is absolutely delighted with it. It looks great and the sound is really good and best of all it is easy to use. As a bonus it also plays CDs, cassettes and has a fairly good radio.
on 5 June 2010
Most of the buyers of this product seem to be people of a certain age who want a system that will play their old records and reminisce, and that is fine. I am in my mid-20's and have a good turntable and plenty of LPs back home; I have missed bying records and have this weird notion that certain albums are meant to be heard on vinyl, and so I bought this based on the reviews.

Excellent service from Amazon as always; it arrived promptly. When I opened the box I was definitely impressed by its looks. It really is a beauty and would definitely fit in nicely in almost every room/living room that I can think of. And then I pressed play..

Now, most reviews suggest that this system produces a good-to-great sound when in those ears it is at best acceptable. The speakers are built-in which means that you cannot improve on the sound by connecting other speakers and, more annoyingly, it cannot be connected with headphones, which I use quite a lot. Having said that, it is quite good for old rock'n'roll, blues, country, soul, Motown records and hearing these tunes from this machine really takes you to another era. If you are more into indie, punk, dance, hip-hop, anything post-76 with more bass then I would suggest you look elsewhere, as this will not do justice to most of those records. A reviewer is suggesting that the turntable looks rather plasticky, and it does, I believe they could do better than that. It functions well though, and I'm fine with it as long as it lasts for more than a year or two!

In the end of the day I decided to keep it for listening to older records and mainly because I fell in love with its looks; it is a nice addition to my other soundsystem. Just bear in mind that these days you can get a great hi-fi soundsystem for the same amount of money, and a pretty good turntable for less than that.
11 comment| 74 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 20 November 2010
My wife has had her eye on one of theses for a number of years now, with subtle and not so subtle hints frequently sent my way.
I have to say that all the reports i had read they were over priced and the sound quality was bad and that it was likely to fall to bits at the slightest look. That however has not turned out to be the case with this one
Its not just a nice cabinet its quality, that's not to say that the hidden bits are anything like writing home about, but the look and the bits you actually see are first class, it looks the part.
The Price was fantastic and what sold it for me given that it was well under 3 times the price of its competitors, and when it arrived seemingly by Speedily Gonzales the paking was first rate.
She then spend the next few hours days weeks playing her intrepid collection of 60/70 & 80's[anything else apparently is rubbish and skip fodder]at full sound and constantly.
Suffice to say she's a very happy bunny and as i appear to do no wrong in her eyes for the time being so am I.
on 18 January 2015
Looks OK and you get a good retro feel,the sound quality is however oh so poor. I am no audiophile by any means but this is shocking. Quite how anyone gives it anything above 3 stars bemuses me, which is a common sentiment if you read a little deeper.
on 20 September 2009
My boyfriend and recently decided to start buying vinyls again, but we needed a good CD player as well. This player looks beautiful and the sound is wonderful, rich and clear, not at all tinny or weak. if you're a massive radio listener this might not be the buy for you, but for all your other musical needs its just the ticket. great conversation piece too. My only niggle, and it's a small one, is that the turntable itself is a bit flimsy and I have fears of it breaking. Other than that, perfect.
on 24 October 2012
Got this for my fiancee's birthday today, opened it and it looks good. Fault with the record player though as the speed on the vinyl keeps changing even though its set to the correct speed. Tried it on all speeds and keeps changing. Did notice that the played was feeling very loose. Just beware of that folks!!