Shop now Shop now</arg> Shop now Shop now Learn More Shop now Shop now Learn more Shop Fire Shop Kindle Listen with Prime Shop now

Format: DVD|Change

on 11 November 2008
What a lovely, lovely film! It's magical, and glittery and imaginative and beautifully done. The CGI quality is very good, and the ideas are wonderful; from Silvermist fairy manually putting dew-drops on spider webs, to catching the last of the sun's rays for lighting the glow-worms, to tinkering about with a broken ballerina music box... and chubby-cheeked Cheese the mouse, who is almost unbearably cute.

The fairy dust shimmers and sparkles throughout the film and, at its core, it's a lovely story about being true to who you are. Not a theme that will impact adult viewers, perhaps, but it is an excellent message for younger children, and grown ups will be charmed by its prettiness and innocence.

Pixie Hollow is a beautifully imagined place, and with a cast comprising of luminaries such as Anjelica Huston and Jane Horrocks, this isn't low budget cynical nonsense aimed at earning a fast buck before Christmas. It's genuinely witty, heart-warming and smile-making; a film for kids, adults and anyone in between.

The only word that describes it is "darling". Tinkerbell is absolutely darling, and it is highly highly recommended.
44 comments| 57 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 18 October 2008
I saw it today on Disney Channel i Denmark with my 7 year old daughter. She loved it, or so did I (which I'm not afraid to admit). The drawing is great and the insight to the fairy world is fantastic.

Her Danish name is Klokkeblomst which directly translates to Bellflower, but actually is a harebell. That she is called Tinker Bell because she is a Tinker, I just never appreciated before! Thanks for that insight.

Enjoy it with your young ones and be pleased that it gives yourself an excuse to watch the film!
on 10 November 2009
As happens so often these days, I was pretty much obliged to sit through this with my daughters (aged 3 and 4). I found it to be a remarkably enjoyable and thoughtful film.

On the face of it this really shouldn't work as anything more to put the children in front of while making dinner. It's full of the things that most little girls love - fairies, flowers, and prettiness - as well as having a female-dominated cast. The males are either lovable rogues, stern patriarchs, or (in the case of Terence) look like they got lost on the way to joining Westlife. The work of the fairies consists of doing the unseen work of changing the seasons (rounding up thistles, painting the spots on ladybirds, etc.) in which every fairy has their part to play, as determined at birth.

What emerges is a film covering a broad range on themes including self-awareness and social identity, as well as the inevitability of industrialisation on any society with precarious inflexibility in productivity. It raises issues about how striving to grow beyond our natural talent can be an end in itself and often brings about the realisation that, as the ancient Greeks discovered, happiness consists of 'the exercise of vital powers along lines of excellence in a life affording scope'. The moment where Tinker Bell's quest for identity converges with her sense of duty brings tears to my eyes every time - an honour shared with only three other films.

This really is a superb piece of work, further enhanced by the amazing quality of the animation, as well as the vocal talents of Anjelica Huston, Jane Horrocks, Lucy Liu, and America Ferrera - but to name a few. It's also full of fairies and pretty things so little girls will love it regardless.
on 12 December 2008
This was a very understated and beautiful little film about Tinkerbell's life before Peter Pan and how her life evolves with all the other fairies. Tink is on contact a clumsy but kindhearted little fairy who has no idea what her talent is, she can't work with animals, nor with water, so what on earth can she do? Well you soon find out her talent and much more in this lovely, short and delightful effort from Disney.
on 19 November 2008
What a lovely film!! I got this for my 3 year old daughter since she is going through a 'fairy phase'. I have to admit I actually sat and watched the film the whole way through myself.
Magical and cute, with added humour... some facial expressions perhaps lost on a small child, but not on me!
Recommended must-have DVD for anyones Disney collection!
on 1 February 2009
Wasn't sure what this would be like, but I was more than 'fairyly' pleased. Great for kids, enjoyable for adults too. Disney matter who you are, you will be impressed.
TOP 100 REVIEWERon 11 November 2008
J.M. Barrie first created the character Tinker Bell to appear in a play (Peter Pan) and then in a novel (Peter and Wendy) but her worldwide popularity is no doubt largely the result of her appearance in the Disney film that first appeared in 1953, Peter Pan. Tinker Bell later became the official Disney "mascot" in versions of the television series variously known as Walt Disney Presents, Walt Disney's Wonderful World of Color, The Wonderful World of Disney, and The Magical World of Disney. The point is, she has been a major entertainment figure for more than 50 years and, at one point, was so popular that she received more fan mail than all others, including Marilyn Monroe.

Of course, children could not care less about her history but they continue to be delighted by her charm and energy. Tinker Bell is by nature a creature whose greatest talent is to "tinker" with whatever needs to be repaired; rather than pots and pans, she uses fairy dust that enables children to fly. Children love to explore secret places as when following Alice down a rabbit hole, or Peter Pan and the Darling children through an open bedroom window and then high above London at night, sailing with Geppetto, Figaro, and Cleo into Monstro's stomach, or visiting Pixie Hollow where Tinker Bell and the other fairies live. As in countless other Disney features, the production values in this film are outstanding, the music is seamlessly integrated with the plot developments, and the humor is appropriately playful. Also, I think the running time (78 minutes) is just right for younger children.

No need to list the special features. Others have listed them and they do add substantial value, although the younger grandchildren with whom I see them seem interested only in the games whereas I much prefer the background material. Some animated features (including the Disney classics as well as several produced by DreamWorks and Pixar) have an almost unlimited shelf-life, retaining great appeal throughout and among various age groups. I doubt if that will be true of Tinker Bell or, for that matter, Peter Pan. However, that said, I think that those who have seen it, as they grow older, will still enjoy seeing it again and again with younger companions if only to observe their delight. For me, the fairy dust has lost none of its potency after all these years...and never will. How wonderful!
on 13 February 2009
I bought this for my daughter after being lured in via the video shorts repeated on playhouse disney day in and day out. It really is visually superb, I have seen this film twice now and think it's lovely. My daughter is only 14 months but loves it. I would say it's geared more for little girls than anything but I'd recommend it for the whole family to watch at least once. Definately one for your childs collection.
on 31 March 2009
I rented this for my daughter and sat down to watch it with her, admittedly not relishing watching Tinkerbell.
Well let's say I was pleasantly surprised.
This is made by the people at Pixar- and the quality shines through like Tinkerbell's fairy dust.
It is a direct digital transfer to blu ray, and with a good TV, the picture quality is outstanding. The film is quite beautiful to look at with a fantastic sharpness, no noise or grain and the colours are out of this world. It is also full 16:9 ratio (no letterbox, fills the whole screen) and so the impact is fantastic. I can honestly say it is the best looking blu ray I have ever seen and for this reason alone it makes it an absolute joy to watch. The disc should be shown to any blu ray sceptic.
The film itself is OK if you are an adult, brilliant if you are a young girl, and quite touching. I thought at the end- "what a great ending" and my daughter (aged 5, bless her)had tears in her eyes because the film has quite an emotional effect, but again a lot of this is caused by how wonderful it looks; the gorgeous colour and wonderful artistry this disc displays which goes into overdrive in the final scenes.
This is definitely recommended on blu ray if you want to see the format at its best and it is unmissable if you also have a young daughter.
on 2 May 2009
I bought this for my daughter for Christmas as she loves Peter Pan and all the Disney Princess DVD's but was quite disappointed. Don't get me wrong the animation is the same brilliant Disney quality, its just the storyline is weak. It just bumbles along with a very simple story that I feel could have been fitted into a 20 minute short cartoon rather than made into a 75 minute film. My daughter was 5 when I bought this for her and has just turned 6 and I think she has watched it twice over the last 4 months. Usually she is begging me to play her DVD's again and again but she just isn't bothered about this one. If your daughter loves fairies etc then she would probably enjoy this but perhaps try and borrow it off a friend first rather than buy it and have it sit on a shelf getting dusty like mine!!! One viewing is probably enough!