Format: DVD|Change

on 14 April 2009
This animation is incredible. My little boy adores it and tells anyone and everyone about it. I am a massive fan of Oliver Jeffers' books, from one of which this animation is based upon, and therefore I was apprehensive on my first viewing. My concerns melted away within seconds, the animation is breathtaking, and the narration and music complement it beautifully. If you are to buy one dvd this year, make it this one. I promise you won't be disappointed.
0Comment| 114 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 13 April 2009
I have just watched this completely by accident on televsion, it came on and I couldn't take my eyes off the screen. I have come straight on here to buy it. The animation is absolutely wonderful, the story is warm and fuzzy, a nice tonic for my cynicism! I highly recommend this for all ages, im 25 and I found it spellbinding.
11 comment| 71 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 23 November 2009
Brilliant. I loved it! My wife loved it! My grown up children loved it! My Grandchildren loved it! And it's just the right length to hold attention. A beautiful little gem!
Oliver Jeffers' Lost and Found is my favourite childrens book. Not just because of the story - but because of the beautiful illustrations which manage to capture the emotive scenes perfectly. He has such a unique style that when I heard they were creating a CGI short film adaptation of the book I was disappointed. With such stylistic artwork, 'Lost and Found' is one of the least likely candidates for a successful translation to film. So I was blown away when I watched the DVD and realised that not only had they managed it, but they'd achieved it beautifully without losing any of the magic of the book.

The story tells of a penguin who appears on the doorstep of a boy who then attempts to return it to the South Pole. Every creative device has been used to inject both characters with emotion, they are incredibly cute and there are little moments of pure brilliance (the scene where the penguin shuffles up to the boy in the bus shelter is fantastic).

The book itself is very short, it's a five minute read but the director is a fan of the book and worked with both Oliver Jeffers and his brother to work out the new and extended scenes to create a film which is around half an hour long. This is all explained in the 'making of' featurette. You get a sense of the dedication of the team to ensure that the film was made as faithfully to the book as possible.

In a nutshell: The animation is top notch and Jeffers' artistic style has inspired a beautiful short film which can be enjoyed by anyone. It is slow paced but it still manages a good 'rewatch' value, and what is my favourite childrens book is now one of my favourite family films. As well as the original book, a longer version using images from the film is also available.
on 18 October 2009
I write from italy. I, my housband and our little son are falling in love with this little boy and the tiny penguin.
The deep story, the soundtrack and the picture are touching .... there are no words to describe!!!
Thanks to the author and all the staff for this wonderful gift!!!
on 6 October 2010
This story is so lovely and the animation is just brilliant! We all love it from my almost 3 year old niece to my 18 year old son. Also the the aunties, cousins and grandparents love it, so it suits all ages although I guess it helps to have a little person to watch it with!
on 26 December 2008
I saw this short animated film on the television today and was blown away by it. Charming, funny and full of heart. According to what I've found out since it's an animation based on a children's book. I haven't seen the book but the film is wonderful and the animation is very nicely done; wonderfully subtle for computer generated imagery.

Regardless of your age, if you like animation or there's a child hidden away somewhere in there I think you'd get something out of seeing this film.
on 1 April 2010
We have an adored collection of Oliver Jeffers books and I decided to take a risk with the dvd (not often being a fan of books turned into films). I have to say honestly however that this film is stunning! It left my 4 year old in tears, the first time he's ever really shown any real emotion to stories. He was broken hearted when the boy and the penguin said goodbye and then cried buckets with happiness when they found each other again and cuddled. The graphics are perfect and are accompanied by gorgeous music. The pace of the film is just right for young children and of course the makers couldn't have chosen a better narrator than Jim Broadbent. I would love them to do the same with the other Jeffers books, this really brings to life an already delightful book. Although not a review option, I'm going with 6 stars!!
on 1 July 2009
My whole family watched it together and we loved it! The images are so lush and rich and the story itself was heartwarming. I cried watching it and so did my friends who i lent it to. I'm a fan of the book and am really pleased at how it was portrayed in this film. Loved every bit of it!
on 21 January 2009
We are huge Oliver Jeffers fans and have all of his books for our toddler son. When we bought a gift set for a Christmas present, the bookshop salesperson told us this would be on TV on Christmas Eve and Boxing Day (picking up author-signed book sets was an added bonus!). We watched it then, and four more times since using the tv channel's "on demand" feature (in 3 days, this will no longer be available for online viewing). We can't wait for this to come out on DVD so it can be his "special treat".

The original story is short, but the programme adds to the story with detail that doesn't detract or deviate from the original story's theme (such as encountering a storm en route to the South Pole and being saved by a Giant Octopus--excellent animation). It is perfect for our toddler son, who likes to tell us what is happening or note the characters' emotions ("Penguin's sad."). And as parents, this is one programme that we won't mind watching again and again, and it continues to tug at our heartstrings even after the initial viewing. I hope that it ultimately becomes available in the US, too, so we can give it to our friends and family there.