VINE VOICEon 29 August 2010
The Gear4 Street Party 3 iPod dock is incredibly ideal for travel use. Things I like about the product:

+ It plays and charges all current iPods (except the Shuffle), including a Nano 2G, Touch 2G and iPhone 3G.
+ It has a excellent sound quality, it does not sound tinny for the size and price at all
+ An AC adapter is included
+ It runs on ordinary AA dry cell batteries (x4) and does not have its own rechargeable batteries which means that if you run out of power, you can get up and running again when you're away from a plug
+ It is small and folds flat - would easily fit inside the suitcase without taking up unnecessary room
+ It has a fold out stand which makes it sturdy, the iPod is also well supported
+ It's lightweight, even with batteries so very easy to support, and rotate for watching movies/using Cover Flow for example

For the price, it really is great value for a fantastic sounding dock. You wouldn't want to treat this as your main home system - but can you grumble for £30? It's more than adequate for use on the beach or by the pool (it isn't waterproof) and for this purpose it excels. The volume goes fairly loud although there is a little rattle but I wouldn't want to constantly play it at those volumes anyway. The dock however is very glossy, and in black so it is a magnet for fingerprints and scratches. The base also becomes very easily scratched when it is frequently dragged back and forth across a table. I can highly recommend the Street Party 3, the only thing I would suggest to Gear4 is to include a case to protect it better.
11 comment| 117 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 7 February 2012
Bought this as a nice looking portable ipod dock. I already have a bigger/better dock but it is not mobile.

Excellent price and excellent sound quality. I read some reviews before buying it and noted some reviews complained about the lack of sound quality at high volumes. Well my preferred style of music is heavy metal which HAS to be played loud! I can play my music on this dock as loud as I like and have only noticed minimal distortion.(I do not have the volume on my ipod turned up to the max which may help)?

However I would seriously recommend this dock. It is a well known brand, looks good, sounds good, is very portable, charges your ipod and you can also use batteries. For the price I don't think it can be beaten. Also I could not find it any cheaper than here on amazon.
on 14 February 2012
Very good value for money, more than loud enough for your living room. A good present for the sister. Could possibly wake the neighbours up...possibly. The bass is good, not amazing but definitely goes boom. The clarity of the music is very good and sounds very clear. Overall, really happy with it. Runs on mains, charges your Ipod and can run on 4 AA batteries too.
on 4 February 2009
Really easy to set up, lightweight and portable.Great to pack into a suitcase or back pack for when your out and about. Looks good,sounds good and the compact size means it's easy to find a place for it to stand. Only down side, no remote.
on 11 January 2011
I bought this for my son having struggled to find a small speaker dock which will both play and charge his ipod touch 4G. Well this little portable dock does both very well. I have held back one star due to sound distortion at the higher volumes, but otherwise this is a great product for an older child/teenager or as an 'extra' in the kitchen etc.
We tested it with other ipods which we own and it worked (and charged) all of them: ipod 5G, and ipod Classic, ipod nano 2G and ipod touch 3G.
on 9 June 2010
I think the other reviews of this item are a little harsh.

Don't expect it to sound like a Bose or B&W. It's about a tenth of the price of their iPod speakers and much smaller.

I'd say the sound quality is roughly as good as that of a portable radio of a similar size and price, which seems reasonable enough.

I bought mine mainly for listening to podcasts and internet radio on my iPod Touch.

The main selling points are its size and the fact that it can be powered by batteries or the supplied mains adapter.

For anyone concerned about such things, it does charge my third generation (late 2009 model) iPod Touch but only when running from the mains adapter.

The only obvious annoyance for me is the very bright blue LED on the front when switched on. This is enough to dazzle me when I'm operating the iPod.
on 28 February 2014
Warning, this product sells itself as being compatible with the Ipod nano, I bought this docking station with confindence for my partner for Christmas only to find the socket on the nano does not fit the socket of the docking station. I was then told an adaptor was required. I was amazed at the price so bought an alternative from Amazon that also stated this would work with the docking station to that particular nano. it fit but would not play in any shape or form. I had no choice but to go out and buy the Apple product adaptor which was 25 pound !!! almost as much as the docking station itself. please be aware and don't get caught out like I did.
on 7 January 2011
I purchased this for my daughter along with an ipod...didn't expect much, but i was very pleased with it, having either batteries or plug in ..its very compact and can be used any where,the sound is loud and it charges your ipod as well ...ideal for hols or on the beach,can't fault it..may buy myself one .
on 17 August 2010
The sound quality is really good on this product and the size is brilliant to take on holidays with you.
on 6 August 2013
I bought I new iPhone 5 so I thought I would treat myself to a new docking station (because of the charger).

I thought the price was good however the light on the docking station lights up my bedroom when I sleep. That's not the only thing when I connect it, it makes an interference noise. Stay away from this product.

I did not purchase this product from amazon but from Argos, even so I thought I should warm you about this product.