Format: DVD|Change

on 16 September 2009
This made-for-television documentary deals with the creation of the London production. Showing creator discussions, auditions, rehearsals and opening night, it offers an entertaining look at the stresses involved in putting on a show, especially one of such grand scale. It would've been nice to see far more actual performance footage, but this is worthwhile for fans of the show or those interested in what hellishness is involved in putting together a musical. Even those who tend to say "I don't do musicals" can get an insight into how much work goes into them.
on 5 August 2009
I remember watching this first time round. When Lea Salonga started singing I got goose bumps. It's fascinating to see behind-the-scenes footage of a show being put together. Worth every penny, and revived a few memories for me as well.
on 21 January 2002
The start of the video shows Boubil and Schonberg actually transposing Miss Saigon from french to English. The video is interesting from the strt showing the pain of the auditionees as they travelled round the world searching for the correct girl to play Kim and how the scenery proved a problem. If you have seen the show you will appreciate it even more and if you haven't then buy this video because it will help you learn not only about the show but about what its like to be an actor. Bieng a 17 year old hoping to be an actor it was a very useful insight. It does however need more influence from the shows two other stars. Namely Simon Bowman (the great) and Jonathon Pryce (the legend). The video seems to focus more upon the character Kim and people around her instead of really bieng a focus on the company.
I would however like to say it has origional footage from the origional London cast so this video is literally becoming a collectors item. I hope you enjoy it as much as i did!
on 6 September 2000
In the same way attending a muscial leaves you pyning for a life on the boards, The Heat Is On creates an anticipation that can only be satiated through attending the show. For those who have been, all the vibrancy, excitement and even tears are relived. A splendid insight into not only the casting and rehearsal process, but also designing and marketing a show. The moment when cast and orchestra are combined for the first time can only be described as spine tingling. A must for those interested in musical theatre, and any Miss Saigon fan.
on 17 December 2003
Miss Saigon premiered at Londons historic Theatre Troyal, Drury Lane in 1989! Winning oliver awards for its run in the UK, Tony awards for Broadway and many world theatre awards this video gives us the insight into how the musical began!
The documentary starts with Cameron Macintosh meeting with Boubil and Schonberg (famed for their work on Les Mis) translating the origional french script into English. We hear the actual story, some of the shows songs and talks about the difficulty in finding a leading lady capable of such a task?
The video then takes us to many different countries searching for the perfect person to play Kim... they found her! We see the great Lea Salonga before she was famous and hear her singing the lyrics that would catapult her into history!
From this we are shown the building of sets, the designing of posters and merchandise, script changes, dress rehearsels, and directors strops!!
The only flaw in this video is we dont get to see much of the other leads other than Lea Salonga and her understudy Monique Wilson!
It is well worth the money, its both entertaining and informative! A must have for anyone wanting to persue a career in performing arts (it shows a lot about, getting parts, auditions etc!) or anyone whos ever loved Miss Saigon!
on 17 August 2003
I thought that this was a very good video, especially if, like me, you can't get enough of the show! It has a lot of footage of the making of the show, including designing the set and choosing who would play Kim (eventually selecting the brilliant Lea Salonga). However, I felt as if it needed a bit more to fully satisfy me. I especially felt that there should have been more footage of the rehersals, as they only really showed them rehersing The Heat Is On In Saigon and the American Dream, which are brilliant numbers, but I would have also preferred to have seen a couple more of the heartfelt songs being rehersed, such as Why God Why and I'd Give My Life For You. But overall, I think can safely say that I was pleased with my purchase, and would recommend it to fans of the show.
on 31 May 2010
If you are a fan of Miss Saigon then worth buying but the DVD does look a bit dated now. I would like to have seen more extracts from the show with less of the casting.
Hopefully Miss Saigon will return to the theatres soon.
on 13 February 2012
This for me seemed like the "special feature" section of a DVD, but stuck onto it's own DVD. The film (75 minutes long) contains little recording of the stage show, with more of an emphasis on casting the role of "Kim". I hoped it would be more rehearsal/ scenery production-orientated, rather than see several auditions of girls who never got the part. To watch multiple failed auditionees struggle their way through a song isn't that interesting.... It's fairly entertaining about half way through, but just feels it is out of place in its own DVD and should belong as an "extra" in a recording of the show/ CD.
on 9 June 2000
This is a fascinating look at the development of a major show from writing to first night, covering everything from casting to poster design as well as having great songs and clips from a great show. In fact so good is this vid that my old secondary scholl used it as part of their music class for 2nd years.
on 12 May 2014
It is great to see how these productions come together and how they compare with rehearsals for amateur shows.
My son worked backstage on Saigon for the whole time it played at Dury Lane and I therefore have a personal interest in the DVD although you do not see much of the backstage crew at all. I am always playing the CD's of the show and am only sorry that a DVD was never made of the original show.
An excellent DVD, very enjoyable.