Customer reviews

1,500
Colour: Black|Change
Price:£2.52+ Free shipping

on 1 February 2015
Contrary to other reviews, this device will work with Windows 8, though I did have to re-install a driver. I use it to play music via my bluetooth speakers, though it occasionally gets interference from other signals e.g. my phone / wifi, causing the sound to become choppy.

Below is a simple guide of how to fix the driver. Disclaimer: This worked for me though I make no guarantees for you.

* Plug in the adapter, Windows automatically starts installing some drivers, wait for that to finish.
* Open 'Control Panel' >> 'Device manager'
* Expand 'Bluetooth'

Here should be "Generic Bluetooth Adapter" or something similar. If it's there, and the bluetooth icon has popped up in the tray then you are good to go. However in my case, Windows installed "Generic Bluetooth Radio" instead. So...

* Right click "Generic Bluetooth Radio"
* Select "Update driver software"
* Select "Browse for driver software on my computer"
* Select "Let me pick from list of device drivers on my computer"
* Now "Generic Bluetooth Adapter" should be on the list, select it and click 'Next'
* Correct driver will now install, may need to restart computer for changes to take effect.

You can now pair your PC with your bluetooth device. This is really beyond the scope of a product review but I'll include it anyway.

* Open up 'Control Panel' >> 'Devices and Printers'
* Right click 'Generic Bluetooth Adapter' >> 'Bluetooth settings'
* Check "Allow bluetooth devices to find this PC" >> 'OK'
* Put your device (e.g. phone/speakers) into visible / pairing mode
* Now click the bluetooth icon in the tray
* 'Add a bluetooth device'
* ALTERNATIVELY: in METRO mode, Open 'PC Settings' >> 'PC and Devices' >> 'Bluetooth'
* Wait for the device to be found, then click 'Pair'.
* NOTE: this seems pretty temperamental. My speakers were found after about 30 seconds, though my phone took several attempts to find. If your device is not found, try moving it closer to the adapter then try again.
* If you are asked to enter a password, try 0000 as this is the default for most speakers.
* Finally, uncheck "Allow bluetooth devices to find this PC" in 'bluetooth settings' if you want.
review image
66 Comments| 57 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 24 May 2017
I ordered this a month ago on the 25th of April and it arrived today on the 24th of May. I was made aware of the amount of time it might take to arrive so this wasn't a problem for me initially. On arrival, I decided to test it out to make sure it was functional so I could let my managers know that I was finally able to use my wireless Bluetooth headset for our daily conference calls. Upon plugging the adapter into my desktop, I received a "USB Device Not Recognized" error message. I've tried every one of the USB ports on my Windows 7 desktop and all of them show me the same error message. None of the ports are faulty as I'm able to plug other peripherals into the slots and they work as intended. Incredibly frustrating as I've essentially kept my employers waiting for nearly a month to get access to voice chat and I'm going to have to wait even longer until a replacement arrives.
review image
on 29 April 2015
Configuring Bluetooth isn't easy at the best of times, and this adapter certainly doesn't make it easier. The main problem seems to be it identifies itself as being manufactured by 'Cambridge Silicon Radio', but uses a chip from 'Broadcom', which is a different manufacturer. Attempting to install the Broadcom drivers on Windows 7 doesn't complete, as I assume it doesn't recognise the manufacturer. As I don't use Windows much, I moved it to its intended home: a Raspberry Pi, running Raspbian. Here, it seems to work OK, but the range of it is nothing to write home about. Connecting more than 10 metres through a single concrete wall resulted in dropouts, whereas an iPad or Moto G connected to the same Bluetooth speaker through multiple walls maintained the connection. Perhaps this is standard for USB dongles, I don't know.

So if you're using it for connecting across a room, with Linux, if you cross your fingers you should be OK. I'd assume there are better solutions out there, however.
on 7 December 2016
It does work on windows 10 but I ordered 2 and only got one, which is fine for the price i paid but i just have to point that out. Secondly it can be a little frustrating to set up but simple if you know how. Just look for the instructions in the Top Rated review section.

Now for the one Star, although it's all set up it looses connection far too easy and can not do the simplest tasks such as moving images from phone to pc for this I can not recommend this product.
on 1 March 2015
This device is good for the price but there has been a few errors with it not working after plugged in but there is a fix although it doesn't work for everybody.

1. Plug in the adapter, Windows automatically starts installing some drivers, wait for that to finish.
2. Open 'Control Panel' >> 'Device manager'
3. Expand 'Bluetooth'

Here should be "Generic Bluetooth Adapter" or something similar. If it's there, and the Bluetooth icon has popped up in the tray then you are good to go. However in my case, Windows installed the incorrect driver and it displays a Bluetooth icon with a yellow "!" next to the Generic Bluetooth Adapter in Device manager to fix this:

1. Right click "Generic Bluetooth Radio"
2. Select "Update driver software"
3. Select "Browse for driver software on my computer"
4. Select "Let me pick from list of device drivers on my computer"
5. Now "Generic Bluetooth Adapter" should be on the list, select it and click 'Next'
6. Correct driver will now install, may need to restart computer for changes to take effect.
on 14 November 2016
Can be a restrictive range if used on a slot on the back of a computer but the size of the device makes up for that as it does work. Depending on your needs and range required it could prove useful. As a useful example if I have it in a back slot I cannot reach it from a metre in front of it with any device but on the front I can get a range of a few metres, which may be down to interference.
on 1 August 2014
In a nuclear apocalypse, this and cockroaches would presumably be the only things left. As it sticks out the side of the laptop, it has taken its fair share of beatings, had drinks spilt on it, had the plastic casing completely knocked off and lost forever, had the laptop refuse to acknowledge its existence, and is still going strong! No matter what happens, it always seems to work when I need it.
Very simple to use, just plug in and go. Very handy when my laptop turned out not to have bluetooth.
TOP 500 REVIEWERon 17 August 2012
This didn't work with my laptop running MS Vista. I plugged it in and Windows recognised it and automatically searched for the drivers but they all came back with failure to install messages. I had a fiddle in Device Manager, but it didn't want to play. Given the price, I suppose it's a punt worth taking if you're in the market for a Bluetooth adaptor but be warned - depending on which MarketPlace seller you buy it from, delivery might take a long time (mine took 6 weeks to arrive). Judging by the reviews here, it will either work or fail. I've since opted for a Belkin adaptor (that works OK).
on 17 January 2012
Even though my computer has downloaded the drivers, i cannot find my phone, my phone can find my computer however, but when i try and pair through my phone I don't get a notification, nothing, i just get a "paring failed" message on my phone, my computer is running windows 7, and the product details does say it isn't compatible with Win7, so hopefully, there should be a driver update for Windows 7 compatibility, If not, I will be disappointing.

TL;DR?

Don't buy it, waste of money, time and effort, if you think it wont work, then it most probably wont, even though I bought it at £0.93 I'm not going to ask for a refund because that would be silly.
on 21 August 2009
I bought this dongle and tried using the demo Blue Soleil drivers and pretty much gave up on it. But the vendor XCR noticed I gave them 'fair' feedback and offered me a refund, so I thought I'd try one last time. I removed the Blue Soleil drivers, and re-plugged in the dongle. XP-Pro recognised it straight away and installed MS drivers that worked fine! So full marks to XCR's customer service for pro-actively showing concern for a customer that was not 100% satisfied. And if you're running XP-Pro and thinking about buying this dongle then go ahead - but don't install the Blue Soleil demo drivers, just plug and play!