on 9 April 2009
Having used Philips electric toothbrushes for many years I was initially very pleased with this new design Sonicare brush. As to the teeth cleaning ability it is excellent. The design, however, is flawed. I have had two of these and both have broken within three months of normal use. The second provided under warranty has developed exactly the same fault as the first.

The coupling of the vibrating pin to the brush head is too fragile.

This is very disappointing, but renders the item useless and I cannot recommend it to anyone. The older larger version was excellent and still works! The NiMH battery is not as good as the new Li-ion and no longer hold a charge for long.

Back to the CAD design screen for Philips!
1010 comments| 131 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 3 June 2012
I got one of these for Christmas 2010 - the difference it makes on your teeth is amazing, my dentist told me she no longer needed to clean them herself in checkups so it does really work.

I've experienced the same problem as other customers in that after 1.5 years of use (and lets face it, it's only being used for 6 mins a day!) it inexplicably stopped charging. Because it was a present I have no receipt but was told by customer services to look on the base - on the bottom right there is a backwards written manufacturing date - mine is 100821 = 21st August 2010. They can use this as warranty apparently as I've been told to send it in for replacement.

Of course i haven't had a new one back yet but thought that tip might come in handy for anyone else wondering about warranty with no receipt.
on 17 November 2009
Don't buy this toothbrush. I have had exactly the same problem with it as the two reviewers below. I can't find the receipt, so Philips don't want to know. All I can do is throw it away--and buy a Braun next time!
on 29 March 2010
My second one of these has just packed up, like others here the head pin seems to have sheared off, the same fault as my first one developed. Excellent whilst it lasted but the design is seriously flawed. The old series with screw on head was much more robust. I will never buy another Sonicare of this design.
on 30 September 2009
This brush was excellent while it was working, but - as happened to previous reviewers - it died after one year. However, as it was under 2-year warranty, Philips provided a replacement in about a week with no quibbling.
on 30 May 2010
As with other reviwers, have found it to have died after a year, just as warrenty ran out. Seems that that was timed well for for Philips!!!
on 26 June 2010
I have used Philips toothbrushes for years around the world. This design is faulty & I too have had the original and replacement fail. Philips won't replace the replacement. The customer care sucks. The product clearly is not fit for purpose. At +£100 and expensive heads I expect better service. I also expect Philips to have the wit to keep high paying customers like us happy ! My wife has a Braun that hasn't caused a problem. I am ordering one now. Philips loss although I now have three Philips heads to throw away.
on 21 April 2011
I too had a similar experience with everyone else. After reading the reviews I consider myself lucky, as mine lasted for almost 2 years instead of 1. It just broke out of the blue. This is unaccepatable when paying so much money for a toothbrush!!
on 18 February 2016
This is my sixth Philips toothbrush. If you prefer their design to that of rotary heads, they are the only game in town.

Which is a pity, as some aggressive competition might make for sensible prices and more reliable products. I’ve bought three Philips brushes over the last 12 years. Each has done an excellent job of teeth cleaning. But each has had to be replaced under warranty – on one occasion the replacement also failed with a few months, and it was itself replaced under the original warranty.

This one lasted nine months before the motor packed in. I went to Amazon’s web page to return it, and was told that I could no longer do so, as I had owned the product for more than six months.

As I seem to know more about the Consumer Act 2015 than Amazon, I contacted Philips, who (thankfully) offer a no-quibble replacement scheme for any brush up to 12 months old. They sent a replacement (an upgrade) by return post. Moral: don’t believe what Amazon tell you, and know your rights.

It’s partly luck of the draw: if you receive a duff brush it will hopefully expire within the terms of the warranty. If you get a good one they last for about three years.

Conclusion: these toothbrushes are no more than OK. There is very little point spending your money on anything flasher than the HX6711: all you are doing is wasting money on flashing LEDs and features of dubious worth.

But yes, they do clean your teeth well.
on 15 June 2010
I bought mine in Dec 2009 and it stopped working in six months. I had to call Philips and they told me to go to Boots (where I first bought it) for a replacement. Four months after that it stopped working again. I had to ring again and get another replacement. Now, it is June 2010 and it broke down again. This time, because it is in it's second year of guaruantee rather than the first year, I need to send it to Philips and wait for Philips to send me a replacement. This is painful. My Oral B lasted for over five years.