Top critical review
7 people found this helpful
They served me well
on 11 October 2011
In short: They are good, but next time I want to try something else.
The usual caveat is, don't expect that this kind of devices will isolate from anything around you.
I find them useful in two situations
- moderate noise, like on the train, good for commuting
- enable comfortable conversation when on traffic roads, you will be able everything the other person says on the other end
They are not good in two other typical situations:
- in the underground the noise is so loud that wearing this phones will make little difference, despite what others can tell you; I lately spotted people with yellow ear defenders in the tube, they probably gave up more sophisticated systems like I did
- in the office: this is trickier to explain: my main problem is other people talking loud; if you keep the headphones turned on but without music, you will still be able to hear the conversations and to be annoyed;
if you turn on the music, then they will as effective as any other cheaper headphones or even earphones; I get the best protection in the office using lightweight earphones, and playing some quality white noise, like a river or similar; using these bigger ones doesn't make any difference, they are just heavier and after a couple of hours I jsut have a headache because they compress the side of the head and the ears
I also tried different models:
- the Bose quiet comfort 15: one can also delude himself and says that they are as good as any other model, but it's not true, the Bose really perform better in the noise reduction, and they are more comfortable to wear for extended periods
- the Senheiser passive noise reduction: these are not as effective as the JVC, they clamp your head till it hurts, and the sound quality is much worse
So, what can I say, they are very good overall, but far from ideal.
My conclusion is that I will never get on-ear like these ones again, they are painful after a couple of hours, I will try around-here like the bose, probably the top model from Panasonic.
UPDATE: I tried the Panasonic, and I was even more disappointed for different reasons, so either I will come back to these ones (I lost them in the meantime) or I will pay the price for the Bose.