on 18 February 2010
I agree with the review by 'CDUK 2001'. We also bought one of these machines and within a couple of months it went wrong and had to go back to Gaggia (their service was very good), however after owning the machine now for a year, it has gone wrong once again. To cut a very, very long story short, Gaggia are no longer (in UK) and have been taken over by Phillips, whose service (NESN) was appalling! After 2 months we finally received our machine back, to find that had been broken further. They have now given in to refunding us our money after a very long dispute!
The coffee made with the machine (when it was working) was faultless.....but do you want to risk dealing with the 'Phillips' 'NESN' after sale service?!
on 27 May 2011
Not being a coffee making expert I was looking for a machine that would make a "Starbucks" or "Costa" style coffee at home with the minimum of fuss.

As many of these machines cost around £1000 and my previous machine cost less than £100 I did a fair amount of research mostly on the net, reading reviews etc

It seemed like a minefield as many models from reputable suppliers appear not to work well while others do

I decided on the Gaggia Platinum Vision as it seened to tick most of my boxes

Like most products these days there is a lot to learn about how it opperates and it has a lot of fuctionallity that you may never use

After a few weeks of experimenting I settled on my ideal brew and I have not looked back, I now have great quality coffee to my taste at the drop of a hat

It takes a while to make drinks exactly to individuals taste but if you can get some good clues from your "customer" as to what they like you will soon be delivering it.

On the down side the build quality of the machine is not what you would expect for the price tag, (it is an Alfa Romeo not a Merc) but it works well and the great coffee makes you forget about everything else

Personally I do not use the milk island it seems like an unduly complicated afterthought and adds very little benefit

There are many reports about Gaggia's poor to non existent after sales service but I have not had to use it so far

I now wonder why I waited so long before I bought a good coffee machine I enjoy the benefits of my Gaggia every day
on 24 October 2010
I have had this machine for about three years now, however, it has broken down twice with the same problem since I have had it. I had it fixed last year and six months later it was blocked and unable to dispense coffee. My frustration lies at the regularity at which it breaks down despite my attempts to look after it carefully; water filter, de-scaler, cleaning tablets etc. I sent it to an independent organisation to be fixed (who unfortunatley broke the front panel and did not replace it) and I am in two minds whether to bother sending it off again for it to break in another six months! I do, however, miss the coffee it produces when working; it is excellent!
on 19 October 2013
I was looking to buy a Saeco Royal machine which I know to make superb coffee and is VERY reliable (having witnessed three machines all with history of over 5000 cups and no malfunction), however, I was persuaded to buy the Gaggia instead on the pretext that since it is a more up to date machine it would be better.

From the start I was a little disappointed, whilst it makes a decent brew, it does not compare to the Saeco which produces a lovely thick crema and has superb milk frothing ability.

Now after just eight months light domestic use(270cups) it has ceased to function and has gone back to Phillips. I have yet to find out how good their service proves to be!

I just wish I had not been talked into this inferior machine.
on 15 December 2010
Bought this a year ago. Broken down within a month, which was devastating. Made the mistake to send it back to Philips/Gaggia where it spent ages in the workshop, which was completely overloaded. Then got Amazon involved who hassle free offered an exchange. So asked for an exchange. Had the broken one sent back unrepaired from Philips & got a replacement which has been working absolutely fine since. Great machine, wonderful coffee. Milk island (purchased separately) works great as well. Couldn't live without this machine anymore.
I can really recommend this machine, even though the first one broke down pretty much straight away. If you do buy this one & it does break down, do the replacement via Amazon who were quick & very helpful. Stick to the weekly maintenance/clean as recommended by manufacturer to ensure it's working without any hiccups.
on 9 December 2009
I just wanted to redress the balance after seeing only two reviews here and one of those being a bad one!
I have had my Platinum Vision for over 14 months now and it is superbly reliable and the best thing I own - hope I'm not tempting fate here but it has not let me down once. I had a Krups one prior to this and although great initially, by the time I gave up on the brand I was on my third new machine from the manufacturer when they all failed during a cleaning process.
Makes great coffee - the options to have any volume you like are brilliant and the frothing wand works way better than the Krups machine.
My only gripe is that it does not tell you when the water is low and will not complete a mug of coffee cycle if you run out of water halfway through. It starts the drink from the beginning again. This is a major design flaw for something so expensive, in my opinion.
I took the option of extending the one year warranty to 5 years with Gaggia for £85 - seems a lot, but for the price of the machine, well worth doing for me.
Highly recommended.
on 22 March 2010
I didn't buy this from Amazon, but I am so pleased with it I feel I need to write a review.
It's new so I can't comment on reliability issues, but it makes a great brew, which you can adjust to your own tast. Hassel free, better than my previous gaggia baby dose.
on 4 March 2012
I've owned this machine for just over two years with fairly heavy use (at least two cups per day) and still love it as...

+ the quality of the coffee is excellent
+ it allows you to have ground coffee with the convenience of instant
+ it offers flexibility in the type of coffee you can have, including strength
+ it's simple to use and maintain
+ it looks great in the kitchen

There are also some minor gripes, such as:

- you need to keep an eye on water level or it will give you half a cup. The only way to do this is to pull out the water tank to check. If only Gaggia could add the water level to the digital display it would be great.
- the grounds are collected in a container with lots of corners, making it really fiddly to clean. It may be dishwasher proof, but there are few times I want the machine out of action while the parts are in the dishwasher. Why not design it with curves instead to make it easier and quicker to clean?

However these are details. The main reason it's lost a star is that after 18 months I had a minor leak from the milk frother. As it was within it's two year guarantee I contacted Philips and (unlike some of the other reviews I've seen) had a great experience where Philips arranged for the machine to be returned, sorted out the problem (and serviced the rest of the machine including replacing a couple of additional parts) and returned it to me good as new. It's worked perfectly ever since. So whilst great guarantee/service, it did develop a minor fault and therefore lost a star.

Despite that, still very happy and when it goes, I have no doubt I'll buy another Gaggia based on the overall experience.
on 17 April 2013
I feel like I'm tempting fate by saying this but this machine scores full marks.

Hot, consistence quality coffee everytime. Milk frother fabulous. We were considering buying a Jura (the so called Rolls Royce of machines) and although the quality seemed consistent, the temperature of the coffee was not hot, particularly when dispensing milky drinks.

I was hesitate to by the Gaggia because there seemed to be a few negative reviews about reliability but, almost a month in, there is no looking back for us.
on 11 May 2012
Pretty good so far but I have only just got it. Beware though - the main picture is the wrong picture of the product. Coffee is great though!