Customer reviews

Epson Ink Cartridge for Stylus Photo R800/R1800 - Matte
Colour: Matte Black|Change

TOP 500 REVIEWERon 19 July 2016
I bought this ink for my R1800 printer - and it's exceptional quality (far better than generic brands). It also lasts longer than non-Epson ink cartridges. As such, I do recommend this product. Yet it's nonetheless rather costly - as the R1800 printer requires numerous ink cartridges, and at £10+ each it turns out to be very pricy to print.

I've tended to use this quality ink for printing photographs. I rely on cheaper, generic brands to print word documents.
on 15 May 2017
as described
on 6 July 2017
Product was as advertised I was concerned that would be a cheap replacement but I should not have worried as it original spec, Delivery was on time.
on 30 August 2017
works
on 30 December 2014
Standard
on 12 January 2006
The quality of the prints using these inks, the Epson R800 printer and semi glossy Epson paper are fantastic and beat prints from any from the high steet stores.
True, the price for a mere 13cc of ink in each cartridge is too high. Previous posts just demonstrate that insufficient research was done to identify the true cost of operating this printer
We can only hope that the kind folk at Epson have a pricing policy re-think in the near future or extend the bulk pack deals available for the cheaper products to the high end ink sales.
on 2 March 2007
Yes, of course I love the quality of the prints this machine produces, they are excellent. As a designer, and an Apple MAC user, I need very accurate colour reproduction and great quality prints. Compatible inks never match Pantone colours. Epson it seems, go hand-in hand with Apple. However, like almost everyone else, I have been blown away by the cost of the inks in this model.

Epson seem to have designed the 8 cartridge system to supposedly make replacing just 1 colour more economical for the user. But, let me tell you what an official Epson call-out engineer told me just 2 weeks after I bought my printer. Most of you probably know this already but, it's worth saying again.

Every time you change just one cartridge, the printer is designed to flush away the good ink in ALL the remaining cartridges as well. Thus, despite the advertising gumph saying that changing one cartridge at a time is economical, in fact, it's not. It's created specifically to drain away good ink. Personally I feel held hostage by Epson, I own my printer but Epson still control how I use it... and for how LONG too. Yes, that's right. The engineer also said that the printer itself is programmed to break down after 'X' number of prints are produced. It generates valuable revenue from service and repairs I assume. The printer has a clock/counter inside. Epson seem to think we (the user) need a built in self-destruct chip inside our printer that will serve as a forced reminder for us to book an expensive service. Apparently this is standard across all big brand manufacturers but, I personally think it is dishonest and it makes me angry.

Epson make great printers but personally, I don't like being stitched-up when I buy an expensive product like this. DON'T buy one if £80+ per month, AND a Kings Ranson to fix it when it mysteriously stops/breaks-down in the future, is going to be a problem for you.
22 Comments| 15 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 17 March 2013
Epson inks are excellent for their colour quality and durability but the ink cartridges seem now to contain significantly less ink than a few years ago. I have installed a brand new cartridge and the printer utility shows it registers less than half full. This is consistent with other cartridges I have recently installed. I guess they must be making some kind of saving but the cost of a full set of cartridges now is around a third of the cost of a new A3 printer. It might be worth using cheap third party inks and just discarding the printer when it fails to work.
on 18 February 2012
I have always bought original inks for my Epson Stylus Photo 800,even though the price is very high.

Today I am printing important invitations, the yellow ink is out . I replace it with one that arrived from Amazon recently.
Instantly a notice comes up that the ink is not genuine. I click that I will still use it . My time is short. The invitations must go.

No way. The printer has stopped and won't print at all no matter what I do.
It is Sunday and I can't find a shop open.

Where did this cartridge come from?Epson T0544 Yellow Ink Cartridge STYLUS Photo R800/R1800 Printers (C13T05444010)
on 4 January 2006
Don't be tempted to buy the cheaper 3rd party ink refils, compared to the epson inks they are rubbish especially on printed photo's. There's no point having a good printer filled with bad ink.