on 15 August 2012
Garmin Heart Rate Monitor For the Forerunner 50/405

I've got a Forerunner 610 and this connected first time and I was able to then customise the Heart Rate data I'd like collecting & displaying.

Would be a good idea to rename the product description as it is *not* only for the Forerunner 50/405; in fact the box clearly states it is compatible with
Dakota® 20
Garmin ANT+(tm) adapter for iPhone®
GPSMAP® 62s,62sc,62st,62stc
Oregon® 450,450t,550,550t
Montana® 650t,650,600
22 comments| 116 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 12 June 2016
This heart rate monitoring chest strap is a nice accompaniment to the forerunner series and was the piece of information that I was missing from my training routine. The quality is well made and is more than capable of standing up to the sweat it gets during the runs. An adjustable sliding clip located on the back elasticated section allows for a good fit and keeps the unit in place when being used. Battery life seems very good as well and I got 6 months use out of my previous one. When it comes to changing the battery it’s a simple coin in the gap and twist to release the compartment and a small CR battery will do the trick. Connectivity has never been an issue and when tracking my heart rate on the connect app I have yet to see a break in data to signal a problem.

I would whole heartedly recommend this chest strap if you don’t already have one bundled with your Garmin 50 or 405 running watch.
on 13 September 2011
Extremely happy. I use it to connect to my Sony Ericsson Xperia Arc. It was recognized by the ANT+ driver downloaded from Android Market without any problems. And works with Endomondo and SportyPal Pro. Fits comfortably on my chest and feels robust.
on 22 February 2012
I was given the Garmin 405 as a gift over 2 years ago and can say with complete honesty, it was the only reason I managed to do a 1:53 time in the Royal Parks Half Marathon. Knowing how fast and how slow I was going through the course of the race made it easy to stick to my target of sub 2 hours. My recent purchase of the the Heart Rate Monitor was for a different reason. I am doing the Haute Route ski tour this March and wanted to make sure that with all my cardio training I was actually working hard, as opposed to telling myself I was. I am of slim build (size 8 to 10) with a narrow middle, so when I purchased this I was worried that I would be too small and it would slip down. I am very pleased to report that with a little bit of saliva and with it slightly tucked under my bra (and I'm sure I wouldn't even have to do this but I like having it feel snug), it sits perfectly on my frame. Admittedly, I have to adjust the strap to be the smallest setting possible and I guess, with increased use the elastic might stretch but for the time being, it's awesome. It does not rub or feel uncomfortable, in fact, I'm sure I'd forget it was there if I wasn't jumping into the shower after a workout. I found it useful to google how to sync heart rate monitor with Garmin before using it. I watched a 30 second video which showed me which buttons to press on my Garmin so that I would know to try and find the heart rate monitor. The first time I used it I was running with my boyfriend who also had his hear rate monitor on, so we separated from each other at the start of the run to ensure that we were each syncing to our own heart rate monitors. Since the initial sync, my Garmin pics it up as soon as I go into training mode, with the GPS on or off (for treadmill running). Having a Garmin and Heart rate monitor combo and actually knowing how to use all the functions (believe me, I'm a girl with terrible gadget skills and it took me a while to work it out) has improved my exercise regime remarkably! I can't wait to use the Heart Rate Monitor and Garmin on my Haute Route to see how many calories I'm burning and what my average heart rate is over the 100km's! I even use the Heart Rate Monitor when I'm sitting on the couch to see how low I can get it. It's very addictive!
on 17 December 2008
This is an essential part of the Garmin fitness range of watches (specifically the Forerunner 50/405).

It sends wireless signals to the watch, and the data is stored until you upload it to your PC, and into the Garmin charting/graphing application. You can then see your heart rate, and the heart rate zones, displayed on the screen.

One thing though, the price of this alone is quite high, especially as Amazon sell it bundled with a Forerunner 50 watch for less!
on 5 May 2015
It works, but my issue is as with all these HR monitors, if you're any smaller than a woman size 8/10, these don't fit...

Constantly falls down as the adjustable size adjusts with and without your help (not good) but it works perfectly well when it's up where it should be, or indeed, when it slips much lower where it shouldn't be...

I just wish they'd invent one of these things that actually worked for "slimmer women"!!
on 25 August 2015
I chose the first version of this- with rubber strap, after reading a fair number of negative reviews for the latest 'soft strap' model. This first and older version is fantastic, really easy to use, comfortable to wear and seems accurate so far. Highly recommended
on 10 March 2011
The Garmin is a great heart rate monitor, no messing setting it up, and ready to go out of box.
The battery lasts about 2 years i would say with normal use, 6 X 1 hours a week. And synchs
instantely with my Garmin 305. I think they say battery life is 3 years but i got 2. Its a standard
battery easy to replace. The hitch i had with this, and this is my second Garmin is DONT wear Nylon waterproof tops directly over the monitor wear a cotton top and then a waterproof top over that as it buils static and interferes
with the monitor. i was lightly jogging warming up and had a heart rate of 245 !! it was really about 90.
This only happens sometmes but never if you dont wear it directly on monitor. I give the monitor 5 STARS, great value and reliable.
on 12 July 2012
Got this HRM to use with my sony xperia s android phone and it connects with zero hassle. I'm using endomondo to track my heart rate while i'm cycling and running and it syncs with the app in seconds. The strap is very comfortable and I forget I have it on after a minute or so. I'm delighted with the heart rate monitor!
on 7 July 2012
Bought this after purchasing a premium strap that only actually worked for 5 months (see the reviews). This product isn't noticeably any different to wear, apparently lasts a lot longer and is less delicate. The claimed battery life is also double that of the premium. To sum up buy this and not the premium strap.