Learn more Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Learn More Shop now Learn more Fire Kids Edition Shop Kindle Learn More Shop now Shop now

Size: 1.0l|Change

This is a one-litre steel thermos flask, with a screw cap and cup. A litre is about three mugs full, which will fill the flask cup about five times. The outer shell is brushed steel; the flask inside is shiny steel. The neck of the flask is wide enough to get a bottle brush inside with ease but I clean mine by pouring in some boiling water and a dot of soap, closing the top and giving it a good shake.

So, how does it perform? I've been using mine for a few months, carried in a rucksack as part of my daily packed lunch. The outer shell has survived well, with hardly a mark on it. It keeps hot liquids hot all day. After seven hours, my coffee is still steaming hot inside it, and that's after the flask has been opened a few times to pour drinks. I have no complaints about its ability to keep hot drinks hot. It works just fine. The screw cap may be partially unscrewed, which opens a slot down the side, through which you may pour a drink without removing the cap completely (and letting out the heat). The cup is black plastic and has a brushed steel outer shell. It keeps drinks hot for quite a while, too, even in a cold place.

Some reviewers have complained that it leaks. Mine doesn't. The trick is to close the top tightly. That means turning it until the sealing ring squeaks and you can't turn the top any more. If you happen to be not very strong, it may be that you won't be able to tighten it enough to not leak. That is a shortcoming, but it is really down to screwing it tight enough to make a seal.

I did damage mine, when my rucksack broken and the flask fell four feet onto concrete. It fell on the cup end, which dented it. Other than that, no harm done. The flask is working fine.

I have just one gripe. In the old days, Thermos flasks had TWO cups: an outer one, and another one slotted inside. That meant a couple could both have a drink. This being a one-litre flask, that's plenty of drink for two people, so two cups would be good.

I bought mine from Amazon UK and had it delivered to Italy, where I was working at the time. I mention this because these flasks cost a fortune in Italy. I have no idea why, but it is cheaper to buy it from Amazon UK and pay for express next-day delivery to Italy, and it still be less than half the price charged for it in Italy. The point is, they are currently (in 2013-2014) much cheaper in the UK.

So it's a really good flask. It is hard-wearing, light-weight, never leaks, and keeps drinks hot all day. I'm very happy with mine. One litre is quite a lot of drink (and a litre of water weighs one kilo!) but this flask does also come in a smaller size if a litre is too much or too heavy.
on 25 January 2009
I brought one of these in June last year, to take with me for Goodwood Festival of Speed/Revival Meeting.

I was making the flask up at 6am and the water was still hot at 8pm.

The flask is also very sterdy.
0Comment| 93 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 23 November 2009
This flask is great value for money. Looks sleek and keeps hot drinks and soups at a good temperature for at least 10 hours. Nice and sturdy. The only down side is the mouth could be slightly larger for when pouring in soups, but thats just being very picky. I would recommend this highly.
on 21 July 2009
I've bought 4 to use on our traditional wooden sailing boat in Madagascar. Not only does it keep tea and coffee nice and warm but it withstands knocks and being banged around in rougher seas without breaking!

Well, a few months down the line I can tell you it was too good to be true. All 4 Thermos lost their insulation capability. I brought them back to the UK, sent them back to amazon who, after a few hick ups sent me some new ones.
Same scenario, first 4 months brilliant, and then the same thing happened. No idea why? And it happened to all of them at roughly the same time. They do not keep warm anymore and burn your fingers when holding after you have just poured a hot coffee or tea in them.

My rating drops down to zero, but it looks like I can't change it anymore.
44 Comments| 101 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 17 January 2016
Bought this for the times I am out and about with my twins. I need sterile, hot water on the go and this is perfect! Doesn't leak and stays hot for 24 hrs!
review image
on 8 March 2009
The choice from Amazon was incredible. I was looking for a stainless steel model that did not have a glass inner and was robust in structure. This model more than fulfilled these options.It is lightweight and keeps hot liquid very warm for at least 8 hours. Delivery was fantastic, it was delivered the day after ordering.
on 11 March 2005
I can't drink cold water (yes I know it's weird) it gives me a headache, so whenever I take a water bottle when I go out it goes cold and I can't drink it. I don't know why it didn't occur to me sooner to buy a thermos to keep my water hot when I go out (doh!), but now I have it I'm absolutely thrilled with it. It's very light and doesn't take up too much room in my bag - it's great.
on 11 May 2011
Instead of a branded Thermos, I received a cheap, generic flask in a plain box (I bought one from Tesco the same day - 'Thermos' is printed all over the flask and box with the genuine version!). Amazon were quick to respond to my refund request, but they should try and install a more stringent method of checking what their sellers are doing.
It's the inconvenience caused to the buyer, and I will be very wary of any 'fulfilled by Amazon' items in the future.
66 Comments| 60 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 11 December 2009
Very good value and it works very well at keeping the contents hot. My only grip is that the cup does not seal perfectly so, after enjoying a drink, if you don't have a tissue to wipe the cup dry there will be a slight leakage. Once you are aware of this it is easy to manage but annoying until you remember to dry the cup or use a spare carrier bag...
on 2 May 2011
Thermos is the first name on everyones lips when it comes to vacuum flasks, so much so that in the US the trademark for Thermos was removed. This is because people refer to vacuum flasks in the US as thermos flasks. In the UK however this is not the case, so when you buy a Thermos in the UK it should be a Thermos and not just any vacuum flask.

On that note, I'm sure you can guess what's coming... This flask is not a Thermos. In fact it has no brand whatsoever! The image of the product has a logo on it clearly and resembles something of a Thermos logo. The product comes with no logo!

A non-branded vacuum flask is what this is and not Thermos at all.

I do not work for Thermos, I'm just an advocate for brands and trademark ownerships. I think if you buy a branded product, you should receive the branded product.

I expect more from Amazon sellers and Amazon itself. This is why we buy from Amazon and not the other place.
44 Comments| 67 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse