1,679

on 21 June 2013
Wow! to say at the least... This syringe is defo' worth the purchase. Like many others on here, i too have narrow ear canals that often easily get blocked. A slight reduction in hearing due to excess wax build up was a thing of the norm for me and became one of those things i just lived with... that is until you get one of those wax balls that totally blocks off every thing in your ear rendering you almost deaf!

The instructions of use are pretty clear and straight forward, HOWEVER like other people have said before me, Perseverance is defiantly key!!!... If you want any kind of success from this syringe then keep trying. Make sure it is inserted properly in your ear canal as shown in the diagrams on the box and instructions and then push the water in. There is no need to blast it all in as quickly as you can, just gently and steadily will do. At 1st quite a bit of wax came out and i was astonished and thought my ear must be unblocked now, however it felt even worse than before i had started and was now water logged. I refilled the syringe and kept going...Lost count of how many times i did it but eventually it worked and my ear was unblocked. You could even see the main culprit large dark brown clump of wax that was causing the blockage sitting their in the water.
One ear down, now the other side to go!

Tips**
**soften wax with ear drops/olive oil for a few days before syringing
**make sure the syringe is inserted correctly into your ear
**don't give up ;)
0Comment| 94 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 31 March 2011
Encourage by other positive reviews I ordered one of these. Previous attempts with 'audiclean ear cleansing wash' and Boot's Ear Cleaning Spray were both ineffective. Both of these use nitrogen as a propellant. I used Earex to soften the wax and at first this caused me to lose all hearing in my right ear for a couple of days whilst waiting on the Acu-Life product arriving. I filled a small mug with slightly warm water and sucked it into the syringe. After about 3 shots in each ear there was a significant amount of wax in the wash hand basin and I could hear clearly again. The design of this syringe is very clever with its 3 jets directed along the sides of the ear canal, and with 3 channels to allow water and wax to be flushed out.
22 comments| 407 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 26 April 2014
I am always skeptical about everything, so I wasn't expecting much, but this really worked! I was in a lot of pain and half deaf in one ear from hard wax build-up, so I thought I might be 'too far gone' for home removal, but now my ear is 100% clear! I want to share my experience in more detail in the hope it will help others, so here goes:

Firstly, I used the olive oil spray (also on amazon) for a week before syringing, to soften the wax. Use 2 squirts twice a day.
The first time I used the syringe a large lump of wax was in the sink, much to my delight! I then syringed again immediately and another lump plus some flakes were in the sink. Fantastic! A third time brought nothing, so I gave up for that day. I kept on using the oil, however. The next day I syringed again 3 times and got nothing. The following day I syringed just once and got no wax, but my hearing suddenly cleared! Fantastic! I never realised just how deaf I was! However, that night the hearing blocked again (woke up deaf). I used the syringe in the morning and got no wax, but the hearing cleared again. I put a tissue to my ear to dry it and got a large amount of wax on the tissue. I decided to syringe again immediately and my gosh, there in the sink was a huge beast of wax! A massive great ball of wax at least 1cm in diameter! I don't even know how that thing fit into my ear! No wonder I had been in so much pain! Now my hearing is perfect and I am completely pain-free!

So, in summary, my advice to anyone in my position is:
- use the olive oil spray for a week first before syringing.
- keep at it! Just keep on spraying and syringing til your ears are clear and don't get disheartened as it can take days.
- this works even on really badly blocked ears, even if you are at the point of deafness and pain.
- don't be afraid to really squirt with high pressure; it doesn't hurt.
- make sure the tip of the syringe is as far inside as it can go (which isn't very far).
22 comments| 235 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 6 May 2011
Excellent little product, 10 mins of use and my hearing has never been so good. However be warned - nobody will be as fascinated at how much has come out of your ears as you will.
11 comment| 186 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 5 January 2014
In short: it's a great little device that WILL get rid of the earwax, though I'd recommend using olive oil to loosen it up first for several days, or preferably a week.

Now for the long version, which may help anybody with this device but who is currently not having any success.

When I first started using this device 6 months ago I imagined it bursting my eardrum or doing some sort of damage so I took it cautiously and didn't have much success with it. That all changed when I completely lost hearing in one of my ears a week ago. It was driving me crazy, so I used the syringe repeatedly until I had success. I will never go to the doctor's to have my ears syringed again- this is far too much fun once you get results.

The only down side of this product is that it will bruise your fingers if you use it hundreds of times in a row. On both my thumbs I have a darker patch where the repeated sucking in and blowing out of water using the plastic handle has taken its toll. Once again, olive oil will help loosen it up so I'd really recommend doing this first, as I believe you are supposed to. Don't be surprised if you don't have any success with the syringe at first. You need to put the nozzle a fair way into your ear. Its flared design will prevent you from going in too far and once it's in you don't have to squeeze the syringe too hard to get good results. It's probably better for you than having the nozzle hovering in the entrance. It probably helps to think of it as a hose that shoots around the sides of a blocked ear then almost washes the wax away with the backwash. Or at least, that's how I pictured it.

With a cup of warm water I'd get about 10-15 syringes out of it. Normally on the 2nd or 3rd I'd get a couple of specks of wax coming out. If I was lucky I'd get a medium bit that (sorry to use this anaolgy) looks more like a flaky bogey. The experience of syringing was uncomfortable but not painful. It certainly wasn't loud compared with my hearing after it cleared, so I can only assume that the water itself hits the ear canals before it gets anywhere near the ear drum. I ended up using the device hundreds of times, sometimes it would sound bubbly, sometimes I'd squeeze the syringe hard but my hearing hasn't been damaged in any way by it- I can't imagine my hearing ever being better than it is now- but more on that later.

The trick is to leave it for half an hour or so after several syringes. You'll find that by doing that it loosens up a bit more and you'll find yet more bits coming out the next time you go and do it.

The real jackpot came after doing this for a while. I syringed my ears as normal and it felt the same as the other attempts, but when I looked into the basin there were hundreds of specks of wax and three or four larger bits. Despite all this, my ears still weren't draining properly so I stuck at it hoping for another huge success.

Both ears came within minutes of each other the following morning. By then I had become quite ruthless with my syringing and wasn't afraid to shove the syringe in a fair way and to apply considerable force whilst wiggling it about. Sure enough, a large, single blob came out from each ear. This one did feel different- the first thing I remember was that it felt cold, as if the water could, for the first time, reach my ear drum. Next I heard some sounds as though something was coming unstuck, followed by the satisfyingly loud, crisp sound of water pouring out of my ears, and the sight of a huge dollop of wax in the basin.

It was AMAZING. As another person has said- nobody will be as interested in what comes out of your ears as you are. But this is a real experience to behold. It's like squeezing a massive spot, but better- afterwards I was able to hear the world more clearly than I had done for ages. I was used to the muffled versions of everyday items. The first thing that struck me was how shuffley everything was- I could feel my clothes rubbing against my skin and the slightest touch to my outer ear could be heard in great detail. It was like upgrading from built-in laptop speakers to a proper home entertainment system. Everything felt too loud- even now, typing on the keyboard sounds like it could deafen me.

All in all, I no longer have to visit the doctor's. This syringe has baffled me for months but now I've given it a proper chance it has changed the way I hear things. Literally.

Sorry that this has been such a long review, I would really have liked something like this when I was figuring out how to use the syringe since the instructions I had for it were rather disappointing. If your ears are still blocked or are retaining water when squirted, the chances are there's still something in there- of course, I'm not a health professional so don't sue me or anything, but I couldn't be happier with this product.
33 comments| 219 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 13 October 2010
I've had wax and wax compaction problems since I was young.
Regular use of a few drops of warm Olive Oil BPC keeps most ear wax problems away. Get a bottle dropper from the chemist (under £3 for both from a chemist).
Of course you sometimes forget your oil regime or sometimes an excess of dead skin comes away in the ear and you get a wax/skin ball that work it's way into every silly nook of the ear.
I did. Olive oil might get it out but you often just finish with a clean/sticky wax/skin ball. My ear had remained blocked to sound for 10 days, despite a warm olive oil lake flowing through every few hours - no sign of anything leaving but it felt loose.
I was told I can get an appointment with a nurse in about a week...

The Acu Life aims its three jets (at 120 degress to each other) sideways - imagine how an inverted tripod looks - so there's no risk of a direct down the ear canal hit on the ear drum. Which is what I wanted to avoid if I was tackling it myself.
So I ordered one and the day after, and one cup of warm water later its all clear. The 20ml size is a good size for each squirt (gently until you get used to it), mine cleared after about 6 squirts. It's a bit messy when the water runs back out, down your chin, misses the basin to catch it - so find a sink and keep a towel handy.

The simple ideas are often the best. Wax removal made easy.
And of course - Read the instructions! I had no pain, it felt very pleasant. My other ear wants a go!
11 comment| 346 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 2 August 2011
Ok, so I bought this item on the strength of the positive reviews. I received it and waited patiently while putting olive oil in my ears for one week. After the week was over my ears were more blocked than ever with oily gunk and my hearing in my left ear was non-existent. Therefore, I couldn't wait to use the ear syringe and clear it all out. So I finally got to work- did everything as per the instructions and only got tiny millimetre sized bits of wax out. After about 10 goes in each ear I gave up. My ears now felt more waterlogged than ever and my hearing was even worse. Feeling despondent and a bit worried I decided i'd have to face going to see the nurse to get things done professionally.

In the morning I woke with my left ear still very blocked and the right ear feeling sticky. I went online to Amazon UK and US and read all the reviews for this device- one thing became clear- success seemed based on perseverence. So I thought 'what the hell' I'll give it another try. Now I sat patiently by the sink and must have filled the damn syringe well over 100 times BUT... It worked!

To start with I got nothing much except the small bits of wax like before- but I kept going trying various angles and as much pressure as I could generate. Suddenly I had a aching pain- and a fear that I had done something horrible- but what I now realise is that this must have been the pressure on my ear canal as the force of the water dislodged the obstruction. With the pain came a sudden relief and on the end of the syringe nozzle was a huge glob of wax and tissue paper that must have been laying dormant for months to years. It was roughly 7.5mm in diameter and surprised me that it could even fit in my ear. But I didn't stop there- enthused I kept going and, after another 15 mins of squirting, another equal sized lump came out. Gradually I came to understand the process- whenever a lump was dislodged I would find the water stopped draining so freely from my ears and I got that 'underwater hearing feeling- which was a signal to keep going, and eventually there'd be discomfort and then another huge lump would appear. When both ears became truly clear- the water squirted in would drain out in 2 or three 'pops'.

All in all this process took about an hour and a half, in which time around 6 lumps were removed. My hearing is greatly improved and my ears feel clean for the first time in years.

If at first you don't succeed- try and try again!
22 comments| 153 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 22 May 2013
Does what its meant to only downside is now whenever the wife shouts at me for me to do anything for her.I can hear every bloody word.
22 comments| 58 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 11 February 2013
I've suffered with my ears for years after an infection once, resulting in frequent visits to my GP for a syringing (as recently as every 3-4 months cat one point).

The frustration of such frequent visits, combined with having to book my GP at least 2 weeks in advance (so 2 weeks+ of near-deafness) lead me to try any and every solution I could find.

For me the ear drops just turn the wax into glue, but this syringe...this is what I needed.

Make sure you do 3 or 4 days of olive oil treatment first (I just leave in each ear for 10 mins, head tilted whilst watching TV, once per day), then crack out the syringe.

I'm sure everybody is different, but for me the best approach is to angle it upwards slightly, and pointing slightly forwards, then give it all the beans and squeeze.

I would recommend building up the pressure at first, to find what is comfortable for you, but for me the best method is to squeeze as hard as I can...after 6 or 7 tries, all sorts of rankness flows forth. I squeeze with the hand that is also holding the syringe , but if you have smallish hands, you might need to hold in place with one and squeeze with the other.

Bloomin' brilliant, and no more irritating trips to the GP several times a year.

Worth persevering with until you find the best technique for you...I didn't rate it at first, then I found the sweet spot and now I'm a very happy bunny.
55 comments| 91 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 12 June 2015
Ear wax is a sensitive subject, not often talked about over polite dinner tables. Let's be honest, it's a sticky gooey topic and as a result my review of this amazing little syringe might put you off your lunch. I have increasingly noticed that my left ear was ringing in the morning and not working as well as my right. I took the plunge, googled 'ear wax removal' and stumbled upon this little gem. The reviews were amazing so I jumped in and bought one. The delivery went as smooth as, uh, melted wax and I got it the next day. So, with a degree of skepticism I nipped upstairs, ran some warm water and started squirting as per instructions. At first I was gentle, but remembering another review about squirting will all one's might I gave it a right old heave. By jingos, what a result. Out popped a 'thing' out of a sci-fi movie. I actually wondered if some Brazilian bloodsucking slug had been living in there for the last few years, but no... it was 100% ear wax. The size of a medium sized slug. Goodness me.

Now I can hear just fine and have probably lost a few ounces off my weight.

Recommended? Heck, yes. Just don't bring it up over dinner. I contemplated taking a photo and posting here but I'm far too polite for that.