Learn more Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Learn More Shop now Shop now Learn more Shop Fire Shop Kindle New Album - Drake Pre-order now Shop Women's Shop Men's

on 19 October 2012
Warning about refurbished drives from Ecosystems IT.

These have been erased and verified for bad sectors. Apart from that they are not as advertised. They can be any make and any model up to six years old. Based on the SMART data they can have up to 999 days power up time and they could have been operated at the extreme limit of their temperature range for an indeterminate period of time. If it were possible to give them turds I would give them 5 turds. Beware !!!!
on 27 October 2011
If you are looking for the lowest price per Gigabyte, this is not the drive for you. On the other hand, if you want a relatively fast and reliable hard drive for a PC that spends its time doing emails and word processing, the Caviar Blue 160GB will do nicely.
Prompt delivery and no problems with installation. Four stars because it could be a little cheaper, given its limited size.
on 12 September 2011
Bought this drive as a system disk for a new build.It is very quiet and,after 2 months,has performed as I would expect.For the price you can not go wrong.
on 27 December 2012
Up front, let me warn you: this is not a review of a working brand-new Caviar Blue 160. Rather, it's a summary of my experience when I ordered this specific product through an Amazon merchant. (Of course, I chose the merchant that offered the best price on that particular day).

I ordered this product when I noticed that a home PC was running very sluggishly and giving very slow responses. I tested its two hard drives with HDTune and found that one of them was very slow - instead of 35-70 MB/sec which a WD Caviar Blue 160 should yield, it was doing more like 10-20 MB/sec. Access time was also slow, over 20 MSec compared to 14-15 Msec. So I ordered this drive, an exact replacement (as far as I could tell).

The drive was delivered promptly and I installed it with little difficulty. Lazily and foolishly, I assumed that a brand-new drive bought through Amazon would work fine, but after a while my family told me that the PC was just as slow as ever - if not actually worse. I ran HDTune again, only to find the new drive was performing even worse than the old one! After a few false leads (such as the need to align partitions for use with Windows XP) I realised that low-level hardware tests like HDTune and HDTach do not lie, so I asked the vendor for a refund. To do so, I had to find the drive's serial number, and while looking at the label I noticed its date of manufacture: July 2007! My PC had only been manufactured in October 2008...

When I contacted the merchant, Comtronics, I received a prompt and businesslike reply. It said, among other things, "Sorry to hear you have received an item that was not as described, we actually use a fulfillment house so we don't see the items before they are shipped". I was then offered a refund if I returned the drive, which I plan to do as soon as possible.

Sorry that this does not constitute a review of a working Caviar Blue 160, but I feel my experience may be useful to other customers. Just bear in mind that, although a drive is offered as new, it may not necessarily be. So check the label as soon as you unpack it, make a note of all the long numbers such as the serial, and make sure it has been manufactured fairly recently. Then, before using the drive, run some tests on it to be on the safe side.
66 Comments| 8 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 28 November 2016
Terrible. Firstly, it arrived with scratches all over it, not even in a box, clearly showing it was refurbished. Secondly, it didn't even work! I plugged it in using 3 different SATA cables on 4 different computers just to make sure, and it didn't work! I would stay well away from this product!
on 16 January 2014
This is not as big or fast as modern drives but now that external USB drives are so cheap size doesn't matter. I just needed a small capacity drive to host windows 7 plus a dozen applications so I found the price very appealling.
on 6 February 2015
This item was sold as new by digital components ltd and I had a specific project which required 6 of these at work which my boss purchased and I bought two for myself. These are old SATA 2 drives which is exactly what we wanted, manufactured around 2010. Interestingly, the antistatic bags in which they were contained, fully sealed, bore the numbers 250514 which looked suspiciously like the date of manufacture of the bag. . . . hmm!!! My suspicions were aroused.
I opened the first six. One was dented and bore obvious scratches around one of the mounting screw holes. Fear not, I continued . . . . I attempted to initialise the disks and of the first six opened, three initialised and formated O.K, two merely made loud clicking noises and one was DOA and did nothing at all. On closer inspection, all the drives contained tell tale quantities of dust in the jumper sockets but had quite clearly been studiously cleaned and prepared before being placed and sealed within their anti-static bags along with a dessicant pack. As if that isn't bad enough, all the drives have had their SMART data erased so that they appear new, as advertised which they most definitely are not. I purchased this item from Amazon since I trust them and although supplied through a third party retailer, I am disappointed with Amazon through association. This is clearly outrageous and I will be contacting Amazon for a full refund and making a formal complaint. Meanwhile, I would advise buyers to look elsewhere and obtain a drive clearly advertised as second hand - at least you will know what you are getting.
As for the last two drives - I have not opened them. One was manufactured Nov 2009 and the other March 2010 - Not a problem as they are old stock but they too are contained within sealed antistatic bags which appear to bear the date of manufacture 25th May 2014. I'm not a happy bunny!!!
on 19 July 2016
I bought this a month ago and just got around to putting it into my secondary build. It has been sat in the anti static bag for a while. When I tried to hook it up to my motherboard, the HDD wasn't detected at all. I tried all sata ports. I then tried it on my main build with the same and different sata cables, it still wouldn't work. The drive must have arrived dead.
TOP 1000 REVIEWERon 1 August 2015
I bought this to keep an ageing PC working as its hard drive was starting to fail. After install I attempted to format the drive however the formatting software failed to find the drive, so I tried Windows own formatting software again it failed to find the drive. so I put into a working PC but again the drive was invisible.
This drive was made in 2010 and although it was sold as new I suspect it was second hand or at best reconditioned, my advice is to leave this one well alone.
Luckily it was "Fulfilled" by Amazon so getting a refund wasn't a problem.
on 13 January 2016
It started up and the controller could see the SATA interface, but that was as good as it got. Totally faulty. I looked over the ratings and found that other folk had bought up to three that turned out faulty. I'm fairly certain this is 'new' WD stock, but it is a very old model. I spent four times the price on a modern Western Digital Blue and that is working well.

Don't touch this ageing design.