on 19 October 2010
We were recently involved in a head-on collision in which my 2 year old daughter was in the back passenger side in a Maxi Cosi Priorifix car seat. Even though our car was written off, the seat proved sturdy and safe, and while my husband and I came away with bruising from the seatbelts and I have a bit of whiplash, my daughter is completely unscathed, without a single bruise.
Yes it is a heavy carseat and I usually leave the fitting to my husband as I find isofix a bit tricky, but this pales in to insignificance when I think of how well the carseat did its job when it was needed most.
The very next day we went out and bought another Maxi Cosi Priorifix, and I would never go with any other now I have seen how well it does its job.
33 comments| 81 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 10 June 2009
This isofix car seat is not difficult to fit once you get the hang of it and the leg support is at the right length. Its nicely padded and our baby seems very comfortable. It is quite high so Baby can easily see out of the windows and the reclining positions mean she can have a comfortable nap on long car rides.

The only real drawback is the weight. You will definitely need a helper to babysit if you need to fit it before use as it is very much a two handed job trying to manouvre the seat and support leg into the vehicle without scratching the paintwork.

If you intend to leave the seat in the car then this is the chair for you (although it may leave a dent in your car seat), and when choosing a seat I always go for safety above convenience and I have no doubt that my Baby is very safe in this chair.
on 9 August 2010
Very happy with my choice of second stage car seat. Previously had the Maxi Cosi cabriofix rear facing and was very happy with that, so interested to stay with Maxi Cosi for the next stage. I chose it ultimately however based upon the Which? review reports which rated this seat the best amongst all the second stage car seats tested. I also wanted Isofix. This seat arrived next day delivery, very quick from Amazon (thanks!) was already assembled in the box so no faffing around. I am 5ft6 9stone, not particularly strong, but I managed easily to lug this out to the car and get it fitted onto the isofix. It took me about 30 minutes and quite a bit of pushing and pulling to get into the right fitting, but once installed (and the green light system helps you to know its correct) then the seat felt very secure, robust, firm and above all safe. My little girl loved it from day one, it seems very comfortable for her and it has 4 recline positions so when she nods off in the car I can just reach back and move the seat setting several notches to make her more comfortable.
Its not the ideal seat to be moving between cars as it is quite heavy but we have no intention of doing that - we'll consider buying the same seat again for our other car if we need to.
Highly recommended choice.
on 6 August 2010
Got on fine with this seat until potty training my son when the seat was around 2-3 years old. Took the cover off to wash it and discovered the part of the seat belt harness down the back of the seat (i.e. the section that is completely hidden in normal use) was badly frayed. This was fairly scary since these are what hold your child in the seat in the event of an accident.

Even worse was the response from the manufacturers (Dorel UK) who we contacted as soon as we discovered this potentially life-threatening damage. Despite the fact that the seat was no more than a few months out of its two year warranty, they insisted that we courier the seat to their service centre in Norwich (at our expense) and then pay them £50 to look at the seat, a process which we were told could take up to four weeks. Obviously, during this time we would be without a car seat; no car journeys for us for a month.

So by all means buy one, but keep an eye on the straps (under the cover, down the back of the seat), be prepared to spend up to £80 getting it fixed, and don't expect anything approaching decent customer service from the manufacturer should something go wrong.
55 comments| 34 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 29 December 2014
buying a car seat requires a lot of research on parent's part, as you cannot always rely on or have other people's opinions. i spent numerous hours reading reviews and narrowed my choice between this and a Britax product. Honestly i went with this because our first car seat was maxi-cosi. Isofix definitely feels more secure in general - you will understand once you install the car seat yourself.

the car seat is very heavy and the height is substantial, so i cannot imagine using this if you need to frequently switch cars where this seat needs to be installed. a few details are missing compared to Britax model that is comparable in price, including:
- head rest (my son's head does wobble side ways a lot when he sleeps and it's not possible to attach a pillow or pads around his head)
- the possibility to fix the bottom clip out of the way (this may not sound important, but it always raises my blood pressure to get this bit out under the toddler's crotch when struggling to put a wiggly, resisting toddler into the car seat)

nevertheless, we are in general quite happy with our car seat. having used a few different car seats on our trip to australia, we realize that the big plus of this product is that it is very easy to recline the car seat when the baby falls asleep - even from the driver's seat or passenger seat.

for parents wondering when to change to front-facing car seat: our son used to scream and howl during even short car journeys in rear-facing car seat. we decided to change the car seat when he was 9 months old and he became much happier with car journeys instantly. we were afraid that it was too early to change from the group 0 seat, but we realized he was very uncomfortable because he was so long/tall.
on 21 July 2014
nice and easy to use. feels solid.
My only gripes are 1) the foot support bar doesn't stay still. It needs some rubber on it or something for grip. 2) The child will always end up sitting on the bottom buckle so you have to slide it from underneath them so you can do the seats belts up. 3) The belt release is a bit fiddly to get to, but I suppose this a safety feature so the child doesn't loosen the belt. would i still buy again? probably
on 24 June 2011
quality of the item is fantastic. My only issues with it is that it's not as easy as the previous maxi-cosi isofix car seat that we had and the seat is much higher than the previous one making it more difficult to get my daughter in and out of the car without knocking her head on the roof of the car.
on 3 March 2014
Perfect seat for our 11 month old. Went for this on back of reviews and we had isofix before with cabriofix. This seat can be used with both isofix and seatbelts installation. Note other maxi cosi seats can't do both. Great seat.
on 21 June 2014
We bought this for our 15 month old son who was about to grow out of his previous seat. It arrived fast, was well packaged, and came with easy-to-follow instructions. It only took a few minutes to fit.

We've now been usini it for a few months and are very pleased with it.
on 14 August 2011
Having run into the back of another car hard enough to write off our car, this car seat has proved to be its (quite significant) weight in gold. My wife had minor whiplash but our 18 month old was perfectly fine. This is a no-brainer car seat.

See one answered question