Format: Blu-ray|Change

A quality family film and beautifully rendered too.

But British parents and fans should be aware that the 'US' special editions on 20th Century Fox of both the standard 2D and the 3D issues are REGION A LOCKED - so it won't play on our machines unless they're chipped to be 'all regions' which most aren't.

Plumb for the UK versions instead - and avoid costly mistakes...
on 28 January 2008
This is one of those films that I think succeeds really well in entertaining the whole family. It looks like a kids film but there's plenty here to keep adults entertained too.

The story centres around a young orphaned boy, Lewis, who is desperate to be adopted but whose overzealous demonstrations of his not always working perfectly inventions scare many would be families off!

Lewis is also desperate to meet his mother but since nobody ever saw her leave him on the steps of the orphanage nobody knows what she looks like - except Lewis. He is convinced that somewhere in his mind he has an image of his mother locked away and sets about inventing a brain scanning machine so he can find out what she looks like and track her down. This is where the fun really starts as the machine Lewis builds is of great interest to a shady character wearing a rather unusal bowler hat...

Once the adventure kicks off Lewis is whisked away into the future by a new friend who is trying to convinve Lewis of the importance of him finishing his brain scanning machine and, yes, ultimately saving the world!

I don't want to give any more away of the plot, it's not mind bending but some smaller children may be a little confused by the time travel aspect of the plot but I can't see it mattering much as the film has so much to hold their attention.

The picture on Bluray is again simply astounding. In fact this is the cleanest looking film I've ever seen. With the film being computer generated there is no film grain or normal/natural analogue noise in the picture anywhere as it's existed in digital form from the studio to the home. The colours are amazing - everything is so bright and clear and sharp, utterly beautiful.

Sound is great too, English language tracks include a 5.1 Dolby Digital and a PCM 5.1 uncompressed. Everything you need for the ultimate in picture and sound quality. During the action sequences the sound certainly is involving and generally is superb elsewhere with lots of great sound effects and very clear dialogue.

All in all a very worthy buy if you have kids or not.
on 22 December 2015
This is an awesome Disney movie - real feel good film. Only managaed to cathc it by accident one day on Disney XD and it had become one of my daughter's favourites - hence buying the blu-ray! Quite unexpected, and some very funny parts to the movie. Also some interesting references to the theme parks.

All in all very enjoyable movie and glad I managed to discover it!
on 4 October 2007
I first had the pleasure of watching this film on holiday, and I must say i'm addicted. The surreal and hilarious film about Lewis, the orphan inventor and his adventures in the future when he gets stuck there. The humor is fast, the setting (and the Robinsons themsleves) brilliantly imagined, and the villan is absolutely ace. you can't help but love him and his bowler hat sidekick, Doris. (Yes, you heard me right).
There are some moments of comic genius (just look out for what the frog and T-rex say - it had me in stitches) - but it is a kids film. It blatantly is, and that's what charges it with such energy. It can be enjoyed by anyone.
Not only that, but it's got a few twists in it that you really don't see coming (and a couple you do).
Either way- a throughly enjoyable way to find your inner child :)
on 7 April 2016
I purchased this for my son. It is one of his favourite films and I have to say, having watched it several times with him, it is a lovely film. It actually has a lovely story with a real feel-good factor to it and quite a surprising ending. Well worth a watch, several times a week!!!
on 11 March 2014
There simply isn't enough of this stuff around at the moment. Boys with gadgets, thrilling action, mad inventiveness - and even an ending that shows a more healthy way to resolve conflicts.
And all in glorious blu-ray detail.
on 5 April 2008
Maybe not as many jokes for the adults but this is still a great family film.
Image quality is clean and crisp with good colour.
Sound is also clean though did not notice much use of the surround channels. Maybe that's a good sign?!
Rented this and recently my youngest (8) asked if we still had it to watch again, so it must be pretty good.
on 20 December 2014
Great buy for a Disney Classic collector.
Not my most favorite movie, but it's doable
I love the limited edition slipcover and disc! The slipcover really makes your collection stand out! I love it!
on 12 March 2014
Came on time, in great condition - brand new, still in plastic.
Amazing film! Life changing! Been a favourite since I was 12!
Always reccomend to anyone! Especially disney fans!
Great for any age as there are some sneaky adult jokes in there for the parents!
LOVE IT!!
on 30 July 2012
I hate doing this. When I give reviews I like to give either one star or five stars. I feel all at sea here. This was potentially such a great movie. All it needed was that the bare essentials of the plot were fleshed out in a convincing way.

Unfortunately the middle portion of the film was burdened with a sequence of such despairing silliness that I wanted to switch off. And the funny thing was, the ending of the film - yes, I decided to stick it out - was terrific. In fact it was the ending of the movie which made me realise what an opportunity had been wasted.

It seems to me that no-one at Disney had a single workable idea as to fill the middle part of this film. That's why it lapsed into eccentric silliness which added nothing to the narrative and only served to unnerve the audience. (In this case, me.)

But the ending of the movie - having taken in all the time paradox malarkey and all - left me in no doubt that this production could have been superb.

I wish I could give it five stars because I was moved by it. But the middle sequence - its random silliness - left me contemplating the 'off' button.