on 14 August 2013
Original post: 14 Aug 2013

Although I purchased this item on Amazon in Feb 2009, so one may assume that it has been well-used, I only actually use it in the Summer months to make houmous. It's even in its original box. I can guarantee that it hasn't been used more than 15 times in total since then.

The reason I chose this item, rather than other equivalent brands/models, was because I have bought numerous Philips products (non-kitchenware) over the years and perceived it as a dependable, quality, manufacturer. Also, I wanted a blender with a high-powered motor, so that it would last for many years. I was happy to pay the relatively high price for these reasons.

Today, the large chopper drive broke while I was mixing lemon juice, garlic, salt, sugar and a dessert spoon of tahini. I had not yet added the chickpeas, so the mixture was not viscous in the slightest.

The result of this is that this item is now useless to me, as the smaller chopper will not accommodate 400g of chickpeas. Anyway, the small chopper uses the same mechanism as the large, so I doubt it would be long before that breaks too.

It transpires that it was an expensive mistake for me to ignore the 1-star reviews here, which also complain of this issue.

I am going to contact Philips, to see if they will assist. If they do, I will update this review accordingly.

Updated: 20 Nov 2013

I sent a message to @PhilipsCare_UK via Twitter at the end of Oct, and immediately got a response from their team with an email address so that I could explain the problems. I am very impressed with the conscientious, sympathetic and professional way in which they handled my complaint, and I am delighted to say that the issue has now been resolved.
on 30 January 2014
The good bits: it makes amazing mash with the potato ricer attachment, it's very powerful, easy to use and the blender bowl is good, albeit the gears are not strong enough for heavy tasks (they are plastic). The big-foot is amazing for soups, and the whisk is genuinely useful (doesn't spray food everywhere), and makes amazing spaghetti carbonara amongst many other things.

That's the good though, the bad is: the stainless steel blender bar had a gap around the bottom (between the plastic and stainless), and fluid soon filled the void. This can't be cleaned from any angle - even leaving upright or upside down on a drainer didn't make any difference, I could still hear it sloshing around inside. I ignored that though, and stuck it in a drawer - as I just used the big foot instead.

But then the whole thing just stopped one day. There was no fuss, it just stopped as if unplugged after a year of occasional use - exactly 1 week before the expiry of the warranty. I left it to cool overnight, just in case that would help, but to no avail. Amazon to their great credit were amazing about it, and even after that long gave me a full refund with no quibbles (a replacement wasn't available at the time).

If you think Amazon don't allow you to send anything back outside of 30 days - then you need to brush up on your consumer rights! Look them up, it might save you a fortune one day.
on 29 November 2012
As always ... Amazon didn't disappoint me. I received the goods much earlier than expected.
However, my complaint is about Philips customer service,UK. One of the bowls was damaged and when I reported it to Amazon they told me to contact Philips directly. Philips agreed to send me a replacement for the broken bowl as a gesture of good will. However, the replacement was broken as well. I had a chat with a customer service agent called Franky who was very rude. He didn't accept my feedback and closed our chat abruptly.
Very poor customer service from Philips represented by this rude and unprofessional agent.
22 Comments| 4 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on 24 May 2015
I worry about it. The hand mixer I have concerns with. Its difficult to explain. The motor for the blender detaches so it can be attached to the other parts. The mixer itself which contains the blade is not sealed. From the picture you can see the motor on top of the blade and shaft. The metal length containing the blade has a plastic lining which is not sealed. This means that when washing it that water gets in between the plastic lining and the metal casing and you cannot get it out. It worries me that this is an area for bacterial development. Its good but not good enough for making smoothies-vegetable or fruit.
on 30 May 2016
This is a brillaint blender... I love it!
Its made of several parts and a lot of them are dishwasher safe (obviously the bit with the plug is not)!
on 3 July 2016
Bought it for my sister as a present. She is very happy and is still using it after so many years.
on 2 April 2012
So I bought this mixer two years ago on sale and thought that, like other stick blenders, it would be dead within a few months.

I couldn't have been more wrong!

I use this nearly daily - it's VERY powerful and never seems to get tired. I've used all attachments and accessories over and over again, expecting to need to replace parts but it's still like brand new!

The parts in it are:

Main body: This is the heart of the kit. It's rubberised and comfortable to hold, even when mixing difficult things, and never cuts into your hand like cheap plastic ones. There are five standard settings as well as a turbo, and that really means turbo! The settings are far enough apart that they're a useful range, but not so far apart that there are awkward jumps between. There is a rubberised loop on the top so if you need to hand it on something, you can. The power cable attaches at the top of the blender at a sort of lip thing, so it stays well out of the way. The rubberised texture of the machine is really easy to clean - just a wipe down and it's fine.

Main blender: the blades are extremely sharp and will pulverise anything they get near. It's made of very high quality stainless steel, and no mater what I've it in and how long I've forgotten to wash it for, it still comes perfectly clean.

Whisk & whisk holder: there is a barrel-shaped plastic body that attaches to the motor handle, which has a little hole in the bottom into which you pop the whisk. The whisk itself seems like it should be quite delicate but my god it has done it all! I honestly have thought I'd need to replace it over and over but it just keeps going! I once even made cookie dough with the thing, though I wouldn't normally recommend that! It's gentle enough for delicate foods but strong enough for tougher things.

Little chopper, blade, & motor attachment: the little chopper comes with its own blade and the 'hat', into which you put the main body to drive the blade. I don't use this one so much but it's really useful when I have all other attachments occupied (fairly often!). When I need it, it does an admirable chopping job. The machine is really powerful so you really need to just pulse the motor so you don't cream the onions!

Big chopper, blade, & motor attachment: This comes with a standard blade (same type of blade as little blade) as well as a serrated ice crusher blade! I use this for smoothies and it works a treat! This whole unit, with the different blades, is a replacement for a blender for me. The plastic of the chopper unit is very sturdy. I've blended hot thinks in it before but it probably wasn't a great idea!

Blender cup & lid: this is really useful to blend fruit etc in, using the main chopper. It's not particularly useful and the lid closes, but doesn't seal fully. It's a decent receptacle though and solid quality like the rest.

Overall, this is possibly one of the best pieces of kitchen equipment I've owned. I honestly thought it would only last a short while, but I've been amazed. I cook and bake A LOT and this is my go-to kitchen tool! I would really recommend it to anyone for a quality, long-lasting, powerful tool

Edit to add: I've now had this THREE years and this still stands. I use it side by side my Kitchenaid Artisan and Magimix 4200XL machines regularly and it just keeps going.
on 3 April 2016
Excellent value for money good delivery service
on 15 February 2016
A lovely product that has now been used for a few years without a problem.
on 15 December 2015
Really bad, we used it just 2 times and the machine broken now!!

See one answered question