on 21 February 2018
Somehow it didn't occur to me that this one-trick CD player would turn out to be the fullsize rackable black HiFi product we knew and loved in the 1980s. I guess we're so used to miniaturized audio these days. I had to find somewhere else to put it as it wouldn't go where my nest-flown kids' old JVC combo had sat for a few years, that had started acting up, so it's propping up the telly.
There are lots of buttons, and a remote handset with five times more buttons, none of which appears to affect the volume, although I have yet to try them all. A very large number seem to be concerned with track selection, which I seldom bother with. Luckily I had also acquired a brilliant pair of active speakers (Edifier, 5-Star review) that manage the sound with just three knobs.
Add to that, this surely now superannuated design has just two outputs: a single pair of phonos at the back to the speakers and a quarter-inch jack at the front for my headphones, which unfortunately are supported by a minijack, so now I need an adaptor - while it doesn't interface or whatever you call it with a computer or a phone, there's no USB output or Bluetooth.
So why 4 stars?
Well, I'm not too hot technically these days, and blind (hopefully temporarily) in one eye, it's all become a bit of a chore. So I was expecting to have to find a teenager, but optimistically I disposed of all the packaging, put the instructions away in a drawer, shoved a few plugs and wires in where I thought they should go, hit the power on-switch, manually opened the (noisy, clunky) tray, slipped in a CD, found an unmarked button in an unlikely place on the handset (after pushing a few that kept changing the track number but not a lot else), and, mirabile dictu, as the Romans say, this brilliant sound came through the speakers, and I haven't stopped wading through my collection of over 350 jazz CDs since, getting little else done. It and the speakers seem made for each other (they weren't) and are totally silent in operation.
I'm sure you'll find great sound quality with a more up-to-date, space-saving product that talks to your toaster, but I'm sticking with this one. Four stars and all.
4 people found this helpful
on 19 February 2012
Purchased this player after reading various reviews, 95% of which were positive. I needed a player that would also run some 'difficult' discs that I had (they would not run on any other machine or computer I tried, due to poor quality copying). The Teac P1260 ran them perfectly. Overall, the operation is good and the sound quality excellent, for what is a unit from the lower end of the gendre. Well pleased.
58 people found this helpful
on 2 March 2018
Bought this as a replacement for a failed Bang & Olufson unit. Despite the relatively modest cost this TEAC unit produces a better sound quality (more rounded yet with greater clarity) than the B & O ever did. I already had two of the Mk1 TEAC machines so thought I knew what to expect but the audio performance still made me sit up and listen, whilst the extra facilities on the remote control are much appreciated. Terrific value for money.
One person found this helpful
on 23 October 2015
Bought this CD player, to replace a Sony model that I bought back in 1990, which had now had started to skip the first one, two, three tracks badly. Straight out of the box and connected to the existing Sony music centre in a matter of minutes....faultless performance! Much quieter than the unit it replaced, plus the exceptional quality of playback (including hearing other instruments on many tracks for the first time!) shows how much CD technology has advanced in 20-odd years. Well recommended
2 people found this helpful
on 15 March 2017
I took the plunge and bought this player and I'm glad I did, it does everything you need from a cd player and the sound is great, looks good also and worth every penny so don't hesitate to buy.
2 people found this helpful
on 6 August 2015
I have only had this CD player for a few days now.and after reading all of the reviews rather than pay hundreds of pounds for a limited selection of affordable stand alone CD players I took a chance on this player.When I first set it up and put in the first CD I was surprised how good it was,I decided to take the advise of other reviewers and buy some better phono leads,they only cost £3 claim gold plate connectors from Amazon site,and am totally blown away at the sound quality separation ect.for a hundred quid Iknow you wwon't be disappointed place your order now.P's check the dimensions.
on 28 December 2015
great value - had to replace a really old phillips CD Player (from the year CDs first came out) and this was closest match - seems pretty well made and works ok - one bug is that when you first turn it off, it sometimes spins the motor for a while after - this seems to go away after a few weeks - most weird, but doesn't seem to impact the working of the player at all...copes with weird formatted CDs of MP3s ok too
on 19 March 2015
Having been forced to replace my ageing Pioneer multi changer system due to it giving up the ghost, I tried to go down the same road with another 6 disc machine but found it to be unreliable...So after much investigation, and nearly frying my brain cells, I decided to go for the Teac, having read the reviews here on Amazon. Although it is a discontinued model, a good review is a good review! Two days in, and so far I am extremely happy. My cd's seem to have a lot more clarity and depth, which is bringing out things I hadn't noticed on some albums before. So, many thanks to the previous reviewers, who made the decision for me, as I too can give this player a big thumbs up! Great product at a great price.
One person found this helpful
on 19 March 2015
Needed a new CD player and on reading the reviews on this one convinced me to purchase it.
Really good quality sound, simple to connect, easy to use, and a good price for such a quality item. You could pay more, but with this still on the market - apparently it's being discontinued so you may need to get one fast if needed - you can't go wrong, recommend to all.
Plus a fast delivery service from supplier.
on 26 August 2015
One run thorough of John Lennon and the Plastic Ono Band revealed what a true find this is. The sound quality is amazing, the tone is precise and the bass is deep, without too much boom, except where as dictated in the recording. I suppose this is what is called an entry level separate, as the price is not too credit card busting, but for this price this player is worth every penny, and a few more.