TOP 500 REVIEWERon 26 August 2015
We have been using these for years and our Bosch kettle is certainly appreciative as there has been no limescale build up over about 4-years of use. Have also recently purchased a Bosch Tassimo coffee maker which has a Brita Maxtra water tank meaning you can use the same cartridges in both the normal water tank and the coffee maker.Have to admit though I tend to swap over the one in the coffee machine once the month indicator comes up and then use it in the water filter which gets more use - after all it has not had much to do with 2 or 3 cups of coffee per day so it seems a waste! Always tend to go a week over the month indicator anyway and the kettle has not shown any impact from this.

In terms of purchase the price can fluctuate wildly so I tend to hold one of these in my 'wish list' to get a view as to when the decrease comes along then buy a pack for several months use. The last time of ordering it was for twelve pounds for a pack of 6 so try to aim for something like this.

You can recycle old cartridges - simply visit this website (cut and paste) and type in your Postcode. There should be a drop off very close to where you live and also in most major supermarkets:

Overall, a great purchase and if you buy at the right time very cost-effective
TOP 1000 REVIEWERon 12 September 2012
We have been using these water filters cartridges with our water jug BRITA Elemaris Meter XL Black Water Filter Jug for some time now.

We live on the Isle of Wight which is quite a hardwater area, and although I admit to being initially sceptical as to their use, thinking they were just another way to get me to part with money on a regular basis, I have been won over and can definitely see that they work!

The technical description is that the cartridges reduce limescale, chlorine and impurities.

In English they make the water taste better and really cut down on limescale forming in the kettle!

The recommendation is that the cartridge should be changed once a month; we get through about two full jugs of water a day, and have found they are actually effective for upto nearly two months.

The cartridges are very easy to install and are recyclable afterwards, most big supermarkets will take them (we drop off at a collection bin in our local Tesco's).

These cartridges will fit in all BRITA MAXTRA jugs, but do bear in mind you buy the right filters for the right jug (something we didn't initially do!).

The prices Amazon sell them for are generally better than the supermarkets, at the time of writing this review they are about £15.00 for this six pack (I have seen them in supermarkets at around the £30.00 mark for this number, so the Amazon price is a real bargain).

These filters come in a variety of pack sizes, from individual to four packs, this six pack, and eight, twelve and even twenty packs.

I really like this six pack size because we'll hopefully get just about a year out of it; so basically thats about £15 for the year, not too shabby!

Overall a very good product, they definitely work and do make a considerable difference to the taste of the water, your cuppa will never have tasted so good!
on 23 November 2012
(Live in London, you need Brita)

added a customer photo to the product, I was surprised how effective these are

same Tap Water boiled for 10 mins, one is filtered with Brita other one straight from Tap
review image
on 31 December 2012
I have a Brita kettle and water jug so use a lot of filters and need to get them at the best price and these certainly were value for money
on 31 May 2012
I bought the 6-pack from Amazon this week for £16, which I believe is a great price for this pack. Price is fluctuating often up and down, pick it up on the right price. 4=pack is also going between £10-14 here, try to catch the £10 mark. All in all, these filters are great, you can see it clearly in the colour of the tea, if not in the taste of water :)
22 comments| 60 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
This is a fantastic price for these filters, the price of buying these compared to buying bottle water from the supermarket is brilliant. Each cartridge is good for about four weeks or one hundred litres and you can get as much water in and out of your jug as you like which makes this very cost effective as one hundred litres over four weeks is a huge amount. The filter removes lime scale and other impurities from the tap water so this is also good for filling up your kettle instead of from the tap directly, I could taste the difference right away and juices which require water tasted very pure and refreshing.

If you appreciated my review then please click on the “helpful” button. If you are pondering clicking on the unhelpful button, please leave a comment or ask me a question before you do as I may be able to answer you or add further information to help you. I received this product at a discount in return for an honest and completely unbiased review, I do feel that I always give an honest and unbiased review and would never falsify a review just because I got a discount on the item. I only receive items at a discount I actually have an interest in, this means my reviews are all based on thorough personal use.
on 27 September 2016
An economical way to purchase these filters allowing you to save money and sit back in the knowledge that you're stocked up for the next six months. These are easy to use with all the necessary instructions printed clearly for a stress free change over each month. Filters are individually wrapped ensuring they are fresh and dry when you need them. I keep mine in the box in my utility room but because they are all individually wrapped they can be kept losely in a cupboard or drawer until required.
Each filter has a ring attached to the top enabling you to easily remove them from the jug, used filters can then be recycled with most large supermarkets taking the used cartridges for recycling.
on 3 December 2011
The Maxtra product is as good as it has always been.

The cost, however, has rocketed. Last November I bought 12 Maxtra cartridges from Amazon for £30, this October there was no offer on 12 so I bought two 6-packs for £44, an increase of over 46% within a year.

But this price is still better than you can usually find on the high street and they do seem to last quite well despite constant use with very hard water. Not just calcium, but our mains water sometimes also has excess chlorine which these filters remove successfully.

I feel these cartridges are still acceptable value for money.
on 26 June 2016
For many years I have bought bottled water. I live in a hard water area but I grew up in a soft water area. I was OK drinking soft water from the tap but the hard water has a strong earthy taste. I was turned onto water filters after having dinner with friends. They served water from a BRITA Elemaris Water Filter Jug. I couldn't tell the difference between bottled water and this filtered water. I immediately bought the same BRITA jug and a pack of BRITA filters. I've been using the water filter for about 6 months now and I haven't bought a bottle of water since.

One piece of advice. You can buy these filter cartridges in different pack sizes from Amazon. I've noticed that you don't necessarily get more value for money by ordering the larger pack sizes. It's worth checking the price per filter when choosing the pack size. For example, based on Amazon's prices today the cost per filter for the 4 pack is £2.50 but the cost per filter for the 15 pack is £2.93. Worth doing some simple maths before you order.

If you're interested this is the jug that I ordered with these filters...

BRITA Elemaris Water Filter Jug - 3.5 L, Black
on 22 April 2016
They are a pack of filter cartridges, which I haven't actually used yet, but I can't see that there should be any problem - hopefully. Will just use them, as and when I need to. Good price for the pack.