6,976
Size: 6 Pack|Change

TOP 500 REVIEWERon 26 August 2015
We have been using these for years and our Bosch kettle is certainly appreciative as there has been no limescale build up over about 4-years of use. Have also recently purchased a Bosch Tassimo coffee maker which has a Brita Maxtra water tank meaning you can use the same cartridges in both the normal water tank and the coffee maker.Have to admit though I tend to swap over the one in the coffee machine once the month indicator comes up and then use it in the water filter which gets more use - after all it has not had much to do with 2 or 3 cups of coffee per day so it seems a waste! Always tend to go a week over the month indicator anyway and the kettle has not shown any impact from this.

In terms of purchase the price can fluctuate wildly so I tend to hold one of these in my 'wish list' to get a view as to when the decrease comes along then buy a pack for several months use. The last time of ordering it was for twelve pounds for a pack of 6 so try to aim for something like this.

You can recycle old cartridges - simply visit this website (cut and paste) and type in your Postcode. There should be a drop off very close to where you live and also in most major supermarkets: http://www.brita.co.uk/brita/en-GB/cms/dealerfinder/dealerfinder.grid

Overall, a great purchase and if you buy at the right time very cost-effective
on 20 February 2016
We have been using these water filters cartridges with our water jug for some time now. We used to buy them from our local supermarket until I spotted them here on Amazon - at 80% cheaper!!!!!

We live in a hardwater area, and although I admit to being initially sceptical as to their use, thinking they were just another way to get me to part with money on a regular basis, I have been won over and can definitely see that they work! and we would just be buying bottles of water anyway, as our tap water isn't great - no matter what anyone says, even the cats don't like it!!

The technical description is that the cartridges reduce limescale, chlorine and impurities, basically they make the water taste better and really cut down on limescale forming in the kettle! Yes, we use the filtered water in our kettle and it has really helped with the limescale, so our kettles our cleaner and lasting much longer.

The recommendation is that the cartridge should be changed once a month; we get through about two full jugs of water a day, and store them in bottles in the fridge, so we always have a supplied of filtered cold water, we have found they are actually effective for upto nearly two months, obviously we use more water during the hot summer months, which is when we use about one a month. The cartridges are very easy to install.

These cartridges will fit in all BRITA MAXTRA jugs, but do bear in mind you buy the right filters for the right jug (something we didn't initially do!).

These filters come in a variety of pack sizes, from individual to four packs, this six pack, and eight, twelve and even twenty packs. I really like this six pack size because we'll hopefully get just about a year out of it; so basically thats about £15 for the year, not too shabby!

Overall a very good product, they definitely work and do make a considerable difference to the taste of the water, your cuppa or squash will never have tasted so good!
on 7 October 2009
Does an excellent job and makes Thames Water possible to drink. Definitely improves tea, coffee and any drink where you add water. Only problem is that I believe although bottled water is a serious rip-off, these filters, while better value than bottle water, are too highly priced. I've discovered that if you replace the filter every other month then you don't notice any deteroration in water quality. Any longer though ... yuk!!
on 3 March 2010
We recently moved to an area of the country that has extremely hard water. I've been using the Brita water filter system here for a year now, and it absolutely does work. There is no trace of hard water deposits in our heavily used kettle, and the water tastes great. If you read and follow the instructions it does not leave little black bits in the water. I use the filter for a good six weeks (rather than the four weeks it calls for) before replacing it, and have still not seen any lime scale. I do a lot of comparison shopping, and Amazon is the cheapest place I have seen to buy them, as well. It is worth it.
0Comment| 144 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
After years of putting up with foul tasting water, kettles that didn't last for more than a year and tea / coffee with a scummy residue on top I decided to purchase a water filter. We have been using it now for a couple of months and I have noticed a huge difference in the taste of the water, the look of my tea and coffee and also my kettle doesn't seem to be furring up like it used to.

The Brita jug comes with one cartridge and a sensor which tells you when it is time to change it. It suggests four weeks use but the cartridges do say they last for 100 uses which is roughly a jug refill three times a day for the whole month. If you don't use your water jug that much then the cartridge will last a bit longer even if the sensor tells you to change it.

If you have a Brita Maxtra water filter jug then you do need to purchase these Maxtra water filter cartridges, you can't get away with trying to purchase less expensive ones.

These cartridges come in boxes of four or ten with it being more economical to purchase ten. However, the larger box takes up more storage and you need to outlay more money at the start. I tend to go for the boxes of four as I find it hard to purchase items that are going to last ten months and I just plan to buy more when I need them.

Each of the cartridges are individually packaged in the box so they stay fresh until opened which means that it isn't a problem if you do decide to buy the larger pack.

The cartridges easily click into place inside the inner section of the water filter - just remember not to pull off the ring pull part otherwise they will be difficult to remove - I speak from experience here!
1212 comments| 138 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
TOP 1000 REVIEWERon 12 September 2012
We have been using these water filters cartridges with our water jug BRITA Elemaris Meter XL Black Water Filter Jug for some time now.

We live on the Isle of Wight which is quite a hardwater area, and although I admit to being initially sceptical as to their use, thinking they were just another way to get me to part with money on a regular basis, I have been won over and can definitely see that they work!

The technical description is that the cartridges reduce limescale, chlorine and impurities.

In English they make the water taste better and really cut down on limescale forming in the kettle!

The recommendation is that the cartridge should be changed once a month; we get through about two full jugs of water a day, and have found they are actually effective for upto nearly two months.

The cartridges are very easy to install and are recyclable afterwards, most big supermarkets will take them (we drop off at a collection bin in our local Tesco's).

The prices Amazon sell them for are generally better than the supermarkets, at the time of writing this review they are about £15.00 for this six pack (I have seen them in supermarkets at around the £30.00 mark for this number, so the Amazon price is a real bargain).

Overall a very good product, they definitely work and do make a considerable difference to the taste of the water, your cuppa will never have tasted so good!
on 23 November 2012
(Live in London, you need Brita)

added a customer photo to the product, I was surprised how effective these are

same Tap Water boiled for 10 mins, one is filtered with Brita other one straight from Tap
review image
on 28 December 2015
First off these are great value for money: a 12 pack breaks down as £2.49 per cartridge. Over 30 days that's 8 pence per day. To buy a 1.5 litre bottle of Volvic is about 64p from the supermarket, so that's a saving of 56p per day / £16.80 per month! Not to mention that fact that shop bought plastic bottles contain Phthalates. Although water, in and of itself, does not go bad, the plastic bottle it is contained in does "expire" and will eventually start leaching chemicals into the water. If you look at the expiry dates on bottled water, it's 2 years, so in theory that water could have been sitting on the shelf for that long! For me personally, I like cold fresh water, which I've filtered and from which I know the source. i.e. my kitchen tap! I've been using Maxtra Water Filter Cartridges for 5 years now and won't use anything else. My Brita fridge jug has also stood the test of time and is still going strong. My jug has a set timer which indicates when the cartridge needs replacing. I always make sure to give the jug a good clean each month before inserting the new cartridge. The cartridge is so easy to use. It comes in a sealed plastic bag, which is easy to open and has clear instructions. After I've cleaned the jug, I submerge the filter in water for 30 seconds to ensure it's fully soaked then insert it into the filter hole in the jug. From there I push down gently until I feel it click into place. After I add water and let it filter through, pour away then repeat twice more, close the lid, set the timer and place in the fridge to chill! That's it! Now I have fresh water for the next 30 days and at a fraction of the cost of what it would cost me to buy in the shops. The taste of the filtered water is very clean with no strange aftertaste - I often find that shop bought water has a slight metallic taste and bizarrely sometimes fails to quench my thirst. A truly great product and one that I'll continue to use for years to come. Thanks Brita for making such a quality product.
on 31 December 2012
I have a Brita kettle and water jug so use a lot of filters and need to get them at the best price and these certainly were value for money
on 13 May 2015
I have a Brita jug, which has been replaced by other Brita jugs over the years, so I need to buy these cartridges and have not tried any other brand for comparison. If you live in a hard water area, as I do, filtered water makes a huge difference to the quality of your drinking water, tea, coffee, etc. I always shop around for the cheapest deals as prices vary a lot. This 12 month box will last me about 6 months as my water is so hard, I have to replace the filter every two weeks, when cups of tea start getting scummy. Obviously not Brita's fault, just don't be fooled by the 12 months supply indications on the box - it all depends how hard your water is.