Style Name: Uncoded Transmitter with elastic strap|Change

on 3 January 2013
The transmitter itself it great, it send reliable heart rate stats to my horizon cross trainer, however the fact you cannot change the battery and have to discard the transmitter is a joke, in the modern day where recycling widespread to require you to discard a perfectly useable device and purchase another due to a battery needing to be changed is ridiculous.
on 3 August 2009
This review was amended in January 2013 order to make clear the distinction between the Polar T31 transmitter and the separately available Polar wristband displays.

The T31 is the standard Polar chest band heart rate transmitter. It is also available in a package with Polar wrist band heart rate displays such as the Polar F4, F6, F7 etc.

If you work out in a gym equipped with modern treadmills, cross trainers, steppers, cycle exercisers etc you will find that the machines are all capable of picking up and displaying the heart-rate signals transmitted by the T31. So if you only work out in the gym using modern exercise machines (e.g. Technogym) just buy the T31 at less than half the price of the full transmitter and monitor package. If you later decide to use it for running, cycling or swimming, just add a Polar wrist band monitor.

The T31 is good value for money, in my opinion. Just ensure that the two conductive strips (look like carbon fibre) on the inner face are slightly damp before starting: once you get into the calorie burning zone your perspiration will keep them that way!
22 comments| 54 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 16 November 2009
I got this as my T31 strap stopped working with my Polar HRM after about 2 years. I thought I would have to sync or somehow configure the watch to accept the new strap but it started working as soon as I put it on. Neat!

For anyone having problems just remember to wet the hatched areas that go against your skin. I give them a quick lick which does the trick.
on 8 June 2010
I have an old Polar wrist watch/pulse monitor. I was frightened that when the chest piece-transmitter broke that I would have to buy a complete new kit. I need not have worried as the signal transmission seems not to have altered with fashions. I was very pleased to be able to buy this replacement which works perfectly with my watch. Thank you Polar for looking after your customers.
on 10 January 2013
I bought this for use with equipment at the gym - notably a Precor treadmill and a STAR TRAC spinner. I decided on the uncoded version as it was cheaper than the coded and had never seen another gym user using a HRM. Before i used it I read that STAR TRAC will only recognise coded straps but was relieved when it did connect and it worked really well - stayed connected. No interference luckily but that was due to spinners being in the far corner of the gym away from most equipment and no other users wearing HRMS.

However on the treadmill my HRM was detected on treadmills both sides of me and I also found the connectivity and measurements were erratic - this could be due to the fact that the HRM was trying to connect to other equipment near by. I would recommend paying a bit extra and buying a coded one.

Also you cant changed the battery on this. When its dead its dead - however you do get 2400hrs / 5 years of use
on 28 November 2010
I bought the Polar T31 as a replacement for one whose battery was depleted. While the product works well I downgrade it because of the manufacturer's designing it so that depleted batteries cannot simply be replaced. The company does make other models (more expensive, naturally) whose batteries can be changed but it is very "un-green" to make any products that need to be thrown away simply because a battery cannot be replaced. As a protest, I will replace the Polar receiver with another company's product when my current Polar transmitter's battery is depleted -- unless Polar changes its policy with regard to non-replaceable batteries.

I should add that the battery to the receiver of the model that comes with the T31 can be changed but the manufacturer recommends that the product be taken to an authorized repairer to effect the change. I managed to do it myself but it wasn't easy and there were no instructions in the product manual. Again, this is very bad policy and quite anti-consumer. Again, more expensive models are describe as having batteries that can be replaced by the owner. This is bad. I expect better of a Scandinavian manufacturer.
on 7 June 2011
Fine to start with, but after only 5 months the battery seems to be dead and, of course, it can't be replaced.
55 comments| 12 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 21 June 2012
Works really well no issue connecting it to any of the equipment at the gym. very easy to put on. Great.
on 17 April 2012
In one sense it is just what you want - a heart rate monitor that works first time when teamed with a tacx turbo trainer. The only issue I had is that it can never be relied upon to give you a maximum reading. Perhaps it is just my shape but it would jump from 145bpm to 195bpm and then up to 220bpm before dropping back down to a sensible reading. I tend to keep an eye on my heart rate so have a good idea as to the maximum. I would prefer it didn't do this but I can live with it.
on 6 June 2014
I was a bit concerned that this may not work as my machine is over 10 years old. No worries though as soon as the treadmill was turned on it started to give a heartrate reading, much better than the system fitted to the treadmill which is often inaccurate and means holding onto the metal contacts whilst running. An added plus is this can be used to monitor heartrate whilst doing other activities so long as the treadmill is powered up and the screen can be seen. It came supplied with a medium strap which I thought would be too small but no its fine as there is a large amount of adjustment,(I normally wear XXL size tops).