Format: Audio CD|Change

VINE VOICEon 13 March 2007
Dreamgirls is a fictional story of a 60s/early 70s girl group, based very loosely on The Supremes.

Dreamgirls was a show on Broadway in the early 80s, which was very successful. It took another 25 years for them to make it into a film. The music is a mixture of 60s sweet soul and Broadway razzle dazzle, brought up to date with modern arrangements. It all really works for me.

Highlights are anything Jennifer Hudson sings, especially "And I'm Telling You I'm Not Going", a desperate and heart rending plea from someone about to lose everything. Her namesake Jennifer Holliday closed the first act with it on Broadway, and brought the house down every night for hundreds of performances. Ms Hudson is up to the challenge and richly deserves the praise the critics are lavishing upon her.

Beyonce also gives some top vocal performances. If she gets topped by Jennifer, that is what the story calls for. Who knew Eddie Murphy could sing? He's not half bad you know. Jamie Foxx is great here too.

As well as the songs The group and various solos sing, music is used to advance the narrative in places, with the characters singing to each other like an R&B opera! Those sequences are mostly on the CD too.

Some critics have said that there is too much music in the film. I just don't get that. It is like saying that there is too much chocolate and ice cream in a choc ice

I strongly advise you to check out the deluxe two disc version before buying this single disc version. You wont be disappointed if you do!

For anybody really into Dreamgirls, the recording of the music by the original Broadway cast is available on CD. Also there is a double CD called 'Dreamgirls In Concert', a recording of a charity revival of the show from 2002. That one has the music and all the dialogue from the show, most of which ended up in the film.

This disc is dead centre me, and I'll be playing it for a long time. Expect a bright future for Jennifer Hudson.
on 19 April 2008
I saw the film and really liked it, so I bought this. Unfortunately, on this version of the CD all of Jennifer Hudson's powerful songs are 'highlight' versions, so not the ones used in the film...The CD isn't bad, but it wasn't what I wanted...I am going to try the deluxe version.
on 2 September 2007
I watched the film and thought it was brilliant, so it was not long till i got the CD which i thought was also brilliant!

Highly recommened!

STD
on 12 January 2014
Excellent CD ... concurs up parts of the film with tracks from Jennifer Hudson moving ...and I am telling you .... you will not be disappointed if you buy this .. hope u love it as much as I do .. xoxo
on 24 March 2013
I watched the film once, and loved it! I bought my friend the album, then I just had to buy myself a copy. It's always on repeat, I know all the worlds, and my god those women's voices are incredible. If you loved the film, you will love this!
on 8 July 2012
Love this soundtrack! A real feel good one to sing along to in the car! Beyonce, Jamie Foxx, Jennifer Hudson and Eddie Murphy...who could want more! The mix of some well known belters along with the songs from the film provide great listening.
on 15 October 2009
Only bought this CD to tag onto my existing order to avoid paying any delivery costs if i am honest! however once i listened to it i absolutely loved it, love 'one night only' as sung recently on the x factor.all the others songs are great too, there is not one song that i dislike. a really good cd to pop on and dance round to with the girls before a night out!!Quality!!
on 12 June 2013
I loved the film, so was in no way disappointed with the content of the Soundtrack... Shipping was swift and carefully packed.... although it seems to have gone missing... My 30 year old daughter denies all knowledge.
on 13 February 2007
What a fantastic sundtrack, Beyonce and Jennifer Hudson are exceptional in their roles. The Dreamgirls have stunning voices and the music is exceptional. The only qualm i have is that the tracks are sometimes in a bit of a funny order. I loved it!
on 17 February 2014
Only recently watched the dvd for the first time but was familiar with some of the songs. Loved most of the tracks on the cd.