Format: DVD|Change

on 7 December 2006
One of the best parody movies I've ever seen, from the team that did the same thing to TVnews with Anchorman. Will Ferrell's shallow good ole boy Ricky Bobby is a feckless idiot who rises from tyre changer in a no-hope NASCAR team to become the star driver of the circuit. Obsessed with winning after a throwaway comment by his deadbeat racer dad (brilliantly played by Gary Cole), and ignorant of his shallow, mutually empty relationships with his groupie wife, horrendous kids (named Walker and Texas Ranger) and equally thick best friend (John C Reilly), he finally hits the proverbial brick wall in the shape of Sacha Baron Cohen's star turn as Formula 1 Frenchman Jean Girard. Thus begins a slow rebuilding of his life and career - this time the "right" way... sort of!

Subtly sending up every "serious" film of this type (mainly Days of Thunder, Top Gun etc) and the real-life downhome ignorance of the redneck NASCAR following, this not only delivers on the gags (this film is truly hilarious) it also is remarkably smart at portraying the emptiness of the blue-collar sports star's life when faced with enormous fortune, media coverage and hero worship, and the fickle desertion of the hero when he hits skid row.

It is a spoof movie, but not in the sense of the Airplane or Scary Movie series - the movie has a real warmth and actually does tell a real human story in amongst the endless side-splitting gags. It also avoids the kind of schmaltzy American syrup-filled scenes of such films by throwing in the unexpected at each turn.

Worth seeing for Sacha Baron Cohen's performance alone, and Ricky Bobby's "grace" before their Pizza Hut and KFC dinner. If you're in the right mood this will have you crying!
on 10 May 2016
How could you not love Will Ferrell?
Didn't know about this little gem for a long time and well It wasn't really too interested.
Next to Step Brothers it's one of my Favourites with the Ferrell and Riley Combo!
I guess I was slightly suprised, like many other viewers it would appear, that this film has a slightly different approach to what we expect from Will Ferrell and the man himself, Borat. Based upon the NASCAR series of racing, the film is all in all, "good". Sacha Baron Cohen ('Borat') plays probably the funniest part of the film, as a gay French racing driver with possibly the funniest French accent i've heard to date. Will Ferrell meanwhile plays the lead role as a NASCAR driver who was brought up by his wacky dad to believe in the true to life American of "winning is the only option" (Lombardian Ethic) and so, as a grown man, he enjoys the highs of winnining his races while making millions, and sharing his house with the blonde bimbo, and spoilt children, who totally crack me up.

The reason this film has had mixed reviews is likely to be down to the content. Sometimes, jokes can maybe go on a bit too long, or the films breaks on long scenes, and then quickly move onto a different subject, just little things really. I think its also hard to establish what type of audience this is for, which is probably why people like it or hate it, as just like the film Zoolander, you can take it, or you can't.

But in my personal opinion, this is an entertaining film that has it moments, and should give you some good laughs.
on 26 October 2013
I only caught this movie on tv about a month ago & I'm so glad I did
It is such a funny movie , will ferrell , john c. Reilly and sacha baron cohen make this movie the on screen chemistry is brilliant and it is a movie I wouldn't have thought of watching but it really is such a good comedy movie , well worth watching !
on 6 June 2014
Best movie ever made..seen it millions of times, my kids grew up watching the film and this was a replacement when relocating back to the uk.. probably helps that i got nascar and not F1 broadcast to my home...
on 6 February 2007
I agree that this film is silly-funny, and does have some funny moments (I love the sons being called Walker and Texas Ranger), but for a sport that is just ripe for lampooning, a lot of the film misses the mark. The commercials are a nice touch, and the over the top machismo, but therein lies almost all the humour.

I also have a problem in that I feel that Will Ferrell is the modern day Chevy Chase, but lacks some of his charisma. Gary Cole is good value, as always (does he ever sleep, he seems to be in everything).

Overall, average comedy saved by a few very funny moments.
on 11 May 2012
Didn't arrive in the post, but alas, this isn't a review for the seller.

I got it elsewhere, and I love it. It's one of my favourite Will Ferrel films, and in Blu Ray, it looks amazing! Well worth a buy if you love Will Ferrel!
on 29 December 2006
I must admit that I have not liked many and when I say many, I mean any, Will Ferrell films, but I watched this film on a flight recently and this has to be one of my films of the year. You could tell the other people on the flight who were also watching, this as they also had tears running down their faces.

As the other reviews have said, very clever humour and will be a film I will definately watch again and again.

Top tip on how to get over your fear of driving...priceless
on 7 December 2006
A funny film as always starring Will Ferrell and one I enjoyed a lot at the cinema. Without writing out a whole page of story line the film revolves around NASCAR racing where Will Ferrell goes head to head with Sacha Baron Cohen who plays a gay french driver.

Although this wasnt as funny as Anchorman its still a really good film and one I would reccomend to anyone who is looking for a a bit of stupid humour.
I think it's a fair bet to say that if you have enjoyed other Will Ferrell films, then you will also enjoy Talladega Nights. This has his same wacky sense of humour and hilarious delivery. This follows Rocky Bobby, who is a Nascar driver as he strives to drive faster and win races, gets challenged by an effeminate European driving sensation and loses everything and then finds what means most to him in his life. This has so many funny catchphrases in it that you can't help but laugh when they are repeated throughout the film (shake and bake) and Ferrell's delivery is what really makes this film. For example when he is driving with a Cougar in his car (!), it is so funny to watch him talk to it and roar back. His funny asides and commentary as things happen (like when he tells people to look away when he starts kissing a girl as `there's gonna be animal noises`) reminded me of Anchorman and raised just as many laughs. His two redneck, opinionated kids are hilarious as well and come out with some great lines. This isn't the best comedy I have ever seen, or even the best Ferrell film, but it does have some genuinely funny moments and easily passes a couple of hours in a light hearted and humorous way. It may not be as good as previous Ferrell films, but it is still worth a watch.

Feel free to check out my blog which can be found on my profile page.