Format: DVD|Change

on 7 December 2006
One of the best parody movies I've ever seen, from the team that did the same thing to TVnews with Anchorman. Will Ferrell's shallow good ole boy Ricky Bobby is a feckless idiot who rises from tyre changer in a no-hope NASCAR team to become the star driver of the circuit. Obsessed with winning after a throwaway comment by his deadbeat racer dad (brilliantly played by Gary Cole), and ignorant of his shallow, mutually empty relationships with his groupie wife, horrendous kids (named Walker and Texas Ranger) and equally thick best friend (John C Reilly), he finally hits the proverbial brick wall in the shape of Sacha Baron Cohen's star turn as Formula 1 Frenchman Jean Girard. Thus begins a slow rebuilding of his life and career - this time the "right" way... sort of!

Subtly sending up every "serious" film of this type (mainly Days of Thunder, Top Gun etc) and the real-life downhome ignorance of the redneck NASCAR following, this not only delivers on the gags (this film is truly hilarious) it also is remarkably smart at portraying the emptiness of the blue-collar sports star's life when faced with enormous fortune, media coverage and hero worship, and the fickle desertion of the hero when he hits skid row.

It is a spoof movie, but not in the sense of the Airplane or Scary Movie series - the movie has a real warmth and actually does tell a real human story in amongst the endless side-splitting gags. It also avoids the kind of schmaltzy American syrup-filled scenes of such films by throwing in the unexpected at each turn.

Worth seeing for Sacha Baron Cohen's performance alone, and Ricky Bobby's "grace" before their Pizza Hut and KFC dinner. If you're in the right mood this will have you crying!
I guess I was slightly suprised, like many other viewers it would appear, that this film has a slightly different approach to what we expect from Will Ferrell and the man himself, Borat. Based upon the NASCAR series of racing, the film is all in all, "good". Sacha Baron Cohen ('Borat') plays probably the funniest part of the film, as a gay French racing driver with possibly the funniest French accent i've heard to date. Will Ferrell meanwhile plays the lead role as a NASCAR driver who was brought up by his wacky dad to believe in the true to life American of "winning is the only option" (Lombardian Ethic) and so, as a grown man, he enjoys the highs of winnining his races while making millions, and sharing his house with the blonde bimbo, and spoilt children, who totally crack me up.

The reason this film has had mixed reviews is likely to be down to the content. Sometimes, jokes can maybe go on a bit too long, or the films breaks on long scenes, and then quickly move onto a different subject, just little things really. I think its also hard to establish what type of audience this is for, which is probably why people like it or hate it, as just like the film Zoolander, you can take it, or you can't.

But in my personal opinion, this is an entertaining film that has it moments, and should give you some good laughs.
on 10 May 2016
How could you not love Will Ferrell?
Didn't know about this little gem for a long time and well It wasn't really too interested.
Next to Step Brothers it's one of my Favourites with the Ferrell and Riley Combo!
on 14 September 2016
If you think American red-necks are ridiculous in a charming sort of way, you'll like this. One of my top 10 funny movies, with Will Ferrell and John C Reilly in best form-

"I like to picture Jesus in a tuxedo T-shirt because it says I want to be formal, but I'm here to party."

Ricky Bobby: [running around on the track in his underwear] "Help me Jesus! Help me Jewish God! Help me Allah! AAAAAHHH! Help me Tom Cruise! Tom Cruise, use your witchcraft on me to get the fire off me!"
on 6 February 2007
I agree that this film is silly-funny, and does have some funny moments (I love the sons being called Walker and Texas Ranger), but for a sport that is just ripe for lampooning, a lot of the film misses the mark. The commercials are a nice touch, and the over the top machismo, but therein lies almost all the humour.

I also have a problem in that I feel that Will Ferrell is the modern day Chevy Chase, but lacks some of his charisma. Gary Cole is good value, as always (does he ever sleep, he seems to be in everything).

Overall, average comedy saved by a few very funny moments.
on 29 December 2006
I must admit that I have not liked many and when I say many, I mean any, Will Ferrell films, but I watched this film on a flight recently and this has to be one of my films of the year. You could tell the other people on the flight who were also watching, this as they also had tears running down their faces.

As the other reviews have said, very clever humour and will be a film I will definately watch again and again.

Top tip on how to get over your fear of driving...priceless
on 7 December 2006
A funny film as always starring Will Ferrell and one I enjoyed a lot at the cinema. Without writing out a whole page of story line the film revolves around NASCAR racing where Will Ferrell goes head to head with Sacha Baron Cohen who plays a gay french driver.

Although this wasnt as funny as Anchorman its still a really good film and one I would reccomend to anyone who is looking for a a bit of stupid humour.
I think it's a fair bet to say that if you have enjoyed other Will Ferrell films, then you will also enjoy Talladega Nights. This has his same wacky sense of humour and hilarious delivery. This follows Rocky Bobby, who is a Nascar driver as he strives to drive faster and win races, gets challenged by an effeminate European driving sensation and loses everything and then finds what means most to him in his life. This has so many funny catchphrases in it that you can't help but laugh when they are repeated throughout the film (shake and bake) and Ferrell's delivery is what really makes this film. For example when he is driving with a Cougar in his car (!), it is so funny to watch him talk to it and roar back. His funny asides and commentary as things happen (like when he tells people to look away when he starts kissing a girl as `there's gonna be animal noises`) reminded me of Anchorman and raised just as many laughs. His two redneck, opinionated kids are hilarious as well and come out with some great lines. This isn't the best comedy I have ever seen, or even the best Ferrell film, but it does have some genuinely funny moments and easily passes a couple of hours in a light hearted and humorous way. It may not be as good as previous Ferrell films, but it is still worth a watch.

Feel free to check out my blog which can be found on my profile page.
on 18 March 2010
Talladega Nights has to be the best Will Ferrell film ever made, almost the best comedy film ever made.

I've seen 1000's of films, and this is by far one of the funniest i have ever seen!!

GO WILL FERRELL!!!!!!!!!!!!!
VINE VOICEon 15 September 2007
This movie has been recieving rather a large amount of unfavourable reviews from Amazon customers and...I guess I can see why! "Talladega Nights" is definitely one of those movies that you either love or hate.

Speaking for myself, I think this movie is hilarious. I've sat through it twice and spent each viewing laughing like a drain!

Will Ferrell is fabulous as always, giving his character Ricky Bobby all the dimwit traits he requires. John C Rielly almost UPSTAGES Ferrell in his role as Ricky Bobby's best buddy. Many of the best gags come from the immensely talented John C. Sacha Baron Cohen is also splendid as the camp F1 racing driver. His performance here knocks spots off the somewhat overrated BORAT, in my opinion.

Some have suggested that the jokes in this movie are few and far between. POPPYCOCK! I would be inclined to say that the jokes fly thick and fast, and, in comedic terms, this movie never steps off the gas.

Just witness Ferrell and Reilly's white trash race car drivers having an in-depth conversation about a "nacho fountain". Or there's the superb bar scene where Reilly unleashes a taser and shouts out: "Say hello to Dr. Watts!"

Yes, many will regard this movie as puerile entertainment. And, basically, it IS stupid! However, all I know is that myself and my companions were creased up in fits of laughter whilst viewing "Talladega Nights". It's a comedy gem.

And, as a footnote, any movie that takes the p*ss out of the preposterous 1980's flick HIGHLANDER is OK in my book!