Size: One Size|Colour Name: Black|Change

on 12 October 2007
I have just returned from 15 months of travelling around the world. I needed a watch for my journey and wanted something that would be
Reliable
Undesirable to theives
Indestructable

This watch easily forfils all of those requirements.

I noticed the first review I saw said something like "unless you want to scuba dive, this is the ideal watch for you". Not true! During my travels I spent 3 months diving as a divemaster in Malaysia and wore this watch throughout. It has been down to 40M and never let me down.

Brilliant.

If you really want the retro apeal, you need to go for the silver metal finished version... Nowhere near as hard wearing but looks cool.
22 comments| 141 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 21 June 2007
I bought this watch because my last cheap Casio (purchased at a jewelry shop) had failed in the usual way - the plastic wriststrap split across, leaving me with an uncomfortable stub.

After a little browsing, I picked the W-59-1VX because it was the least expensive black plastic digital watch I could find. Yet, as a Casio, I knew it would work well, be easy to understand, and last for a good while. (Probably longer than the strap, at least...)

It does the basic things - keeps time to within about 30 seconds a week (at worst), is easy to adjust, has a backlight and stopwatch (up to 1 hour, so no marathons for you).

It was only when I had put it on that I noticed how small it is. Logically, that is a good thing - no one really wants to carry a great lump around on their wrist. Maybe it's a women's model, or maybe it's just no bigger than it has to be.
33 comments| 131 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
Note: This watch is available to buy from a lot of different sellers on Amazon. I have now bought this watch twice from 2 different sellers and this review covers the product and not the sellers performance as that it recorded elsewhere.

Reason for buying:
I decided to buy this product because I wanted a cheap, plastic, basic digital watch for everyday use. I have now owned the watch since 2009 and bought another one last year as the original went missing.

Features:
This watch has the basic features that you usually get from digital watches of this kind:
- Stopwatch
- Alarm
- 12/24 hour option
- Auto calendar
- Date / Time
- Light
- Waterproof

All the features work very well and I have never had any issues with them. I use the alarm daily and the stopwatch 3-4 times a week. It keeps the time very accurately.

Quality and Comfort:
The watch is made from high quality plastic which is fit for purpose. The strap is comfortable and I have not had any issues with it.

Battery life:
Despite owning my 1st watch for 6 years and using a lot of the stopwatch, I did not have to change the battery.

Other options:
Although you can get hundreds of different types of watches on Amazon, I have not found one that is as good as this as an everyday budget watch.
Despite what the hitch hiker's guide to the galaxy may claim, Digital Watches are cool! So when I needed a new watch, I had to have one of these. Digital and at a reasonable price.

The watch itself is excellent. Giving a clear digital display of hours minutes and seconds that can be either in the twenty four clock or not. It shows the day of the month and of the week. It has an alarm function that will sound at a time you select. It has a stopwatch function. And a countdown when you can set an alarm to go off after a time period of your choosing has elapsed.

It's a very good watch.

The strap however is thin and appears to be a bit flimsy at first glance. But after I'd had this for a mere three weeks the part of the watch that holds the strap on simply fell off in one corner. And since it's a small plastic bit it was impossible to find.

A shame. The next watch I buy will also be digital. But I'll look for one with a bigger strap that appears it might be likely to stay on longer.
66 comments| 51 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 8 December 2007
Taking a minimalist approach, I searched for a watch for everyday wear and didn't want to bother about caring for it. Therefore, I didn't want to spend an unnecessary amount and wanted to make sure that the watch is basic but reliable. This retro digital watch from Casio fits all those requirements.

GOODS

- Price: I paid only £8 for the watch. Therefore, even if I break the watch, I could buy a new one without any regrets about not caring for it properly or not bothering about repairing, or changing batteries for that matter. Great!

- Basic but Essential Features: You get Time (12 & 24 hr display formats), Date, Day, Alarm, Stopwatch (the watch only allows for 1 hour. If the stopwatch goes beyond 1 hour, it resets to '0' at the start of the second hour) & a green LED light to help the user read the display in dark places.

- Reliability: The watch is a Casio. I've had a couple of Casio calculators and several Casio watches (both analogue & digital). Therefore, I have no doubts regarding the reliability of the watch. Also, I've been using this watch almost everyday for the past 6 months and everything works perfectly fine.

- Accuracy: The watch doesn't freeze or go blank. The instruction sheet indicates that there will be a very small time discrepancy (between the actual time & the time displayed on the watch) over time but that's barely noticeable and happens with every watch. It could be corrected easily by manually adjusting the time.

- Battery Life: I haven't seen any deterioration of the battery so far. The display looks sharp and the LED seems as bright as it was 6 months ago. In my experience, if you don't use the LED frequently, you could use the original battery for several years. But again, it depends heavily on the way you use the watch.

- Resin Strap: So far, the strap doesn't have any damage and since I wear the watch loosely, I barely feel the presence of the watch on my wrist. Very comfortable for extended periods of wear.

NOT SO GOODS

- Alarm Volume: There is no feature that allows you to adjust the volume level of the alarm & personally, I find that the alarm is not loud enough for my residential area. But for the price I paid, I'm willing to compromise that.

- Styling: This range of watches were first introduced in the 1980s and therefore don't cater the fashion requirements of the majority of consumers today. But the looks didn't matter to me. I just wanted a simple watch that works great.

Overall, I'm quite happy about this purchase. I fully recommend this watch for anyone that is willing to go for 'Real Value for Money'!
on 29 October 2006
Unless you're into scuba diving I can conceive of no reason to buy any watch more expensive than this one. It does everything and it costs less than a new battery and reseal. It's hard-wearing and it's so cheap that it doesn't matter if you lose or break it anyway. Plus, if you're in my age bracket, you can enjoy the retro appeal of wearing something that would have been considered super cool and hi-tech around 1981. 'Nuff said.
33 comments| 70 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 4 February 2013
Mine lasted 8 Months. I loved it. I hardly ever took it off, cycled over 3000miles on my bicycle with it on, showered with it on etc etc.

It was a constant companion but the strap started to tear and then fell off. I do think it is the ultimate peoples watch, the early VW, affordable, reliable. Also the back light is excellent.

The low price makes it almost throw away. I could now buy another one and the broken one would have cost me about £1 a Month for time keeping. I did think about getting a replacement strap but took a guess that buying a new watch would be cheaper. I do also have the calculator version of this watch but it is sadly missing a back light and I really like to see the time in the early hours when raising from bed to get on the cycle to work.

So it is a nice lightweight funky watch but you do need to take care of the thin strap. I don't know when mine got caught or how it started to tear but I am now looking for a chunkier Casio G-shock watch which is more expensive but I am hoping it can stand up to my cycle commute slightly better. I am sure I will be back to this model again but for now I am going to pay for the tougher version and see how I get on.
on 23 April 2014
I love Casio watches and have owned dozens. But what has happened to the quality. I bought an identical watch 4 years ago and it was treat- this one is cheap and nasty- more like a toy watch. Strap too small, the light is rubbish and it will never last a garden season. Is this a real Casio?
TOP 1000 REVIEWERon 19 December 2007
I just wanted a simple watch to wear day and night. I don't want a fashion object in my wrist. I just want something that I can see the time and that's all. I was tired to have to take my mobile phone out of my pocket whenever I needed to know the time. Now no more. This watch is very cheap, looks good, is small, feels durable and the best of all, it's so simple you won't even notice you're using it since it's so light.
I gave 5 stars because you really can't go wrong about it. It's a watch and show you the time. Easy to set up the time and very light.
Definitely recommended.
on 6 December 2009
A number of people have commented on problems with the strap breaking after a couple of years, or being otherwise unsuitable. It is actually easy to change it, as I have done as I don't like plastic straps. If you look carefully you'll see that the holes on one side of the strap are smaller than those on the other. The pins that hold the straps in place are gripped tightly by the smaller ones, and can be released by pushing in something suitable from that side. To attach the new strap just reverse the process, pushing in the pin from the opposite side.

The only reservation I have about this product is that as you don't have to hold any buttons down to change the time there's a risk of it being changed accidentally. Also, the light isn't as good as on my previous watch (which died when the battery was changed by a jeweller), but then that cost a lot more.