Shop now Shop now</arg> Shop now Shop now Shop now Learn More Shop now Shop now Learn more Shop Fire Shop Kindle Amazon Music Unlimited for Family Shop now Shop now

Format: Audio CD|Change

on 21 August 2004
If you're into Musicals then this is right up your street! The show tells of the pre-Dorothy Oz and explores how those events came to pass and how the Wicked Witch of the West turned out the way she did! The CD has the majority of the songs from the show and begins with the death of the Witch - Noone Mourns the Wicked. From there we are taken back on time! What can I say, a truly wonderful musical. If you are buying this CD I would recommend you hunt the internet for the synposis of the show and make sure you go for the unofficial one which tells all the secrets of the show! With this in your head your enjoyment of the CD will be total!! I thoroughly recommend this CD.
on 17 March 2006
This is a fabulous musical, it is coming to the West End in September and I cant wait. Not only is it a clever plot (basically a prequel to The Wizard of Oz though so much more than just that!), but the music is incredible. Two really strong roles for female performers, many songs stand out. My absolute favourites have to be Defying Gravity & Because I knew you, though all the songs the Wicked Witch has are fabulous, well worth a listen for musical fans!
on 25 December 2003
Finally, a new, exciting, inspirational musical!! People who doubt the future and sustainability of modern musical theatre should get this CD and have all your worries put to rest. I love this show! Stephen Schwartz has done it again with this marvellous, emotional, soulful score, with some absolutely amazing songs, especially the beautiful 'Defying Gravity'. Kristen Chenowith is good, but completely upstaged by Idina Menzel - superlatives are not enough!! Menzel makes a very convincing Elphaba and sings the songs with fire and passion, her love duet 'As Long As You're Mine' with the gorgeous Fiyero (Norbert Leo Butz) is spine tingling!!If you like modern musicals, BUY THIS CD!!! You will not be disappointed!
on 12 December 2006
I got onto the Wicked trail after a friend just mentioned it. Then i started seeing Wicked everywhere! I saw 'What is this feeling?' on children in need, and couldn't stop singing it, it was then that i new i was hooked! The songs are amazing, and the voices are spectacular. I'm a member of my local Amatuer Operatic Society, and if i could sing half as well as Idina Menzel, i would be going somewhere! She has an amazing, powerful voice, and the rest of the cast add to the enjoyment. I'm only 17, but this has to be my favourite musical, by FAR. Now i just need to so see it!!

Believe me, once you've listened to this soundtrack, you will be as hooked as i am. Buy it! it's well worth it!
on 29 May 2006
If any musicals or indeed general music fan still hasn't got this cd...WHY??? They are the most awesome cast and you will fall in love with them. Especially Idina Menzel. My god the girl can sing. She is literally 'Wicked'. The others Norbert/Kristin/Joel Grey bla bla bla they are all AMAZING. But Idina. Wow. Its worth buying the cd just to hear her sing the last note of 'Defying Gravity'. WOWOWOWOW. She's on her way to London. YESSS!!
on 3 August 2005
I had never heard of Wicked until I popped onto Joey McIntyre's (ex- new kid on the block) website and found that he had played one of the leading role's in a new broadway musical titled 'Wicked' - I was intrugued and wanted to know more, so I checked out the official site for the musical and listened to some clips, just by the previews of the songs I was drawn in and wanted to know and hear more, so I was pleasantly surprised to find out that my sister who studies at Italia Conti was in a production of it here in the UK! so not only would I get to hear the whole songs I would know the story too! WOW it was fantastic and the songs are incredible so I had to get this CD immediatley! Elphaba (played by Idina) has one of the most amazing voices and I would of loved to have seen her play this part! all the tracks roll with effortless ease and some are truly beautiful like the finale song
This is a must have buy for all musical lovers or lovers of the Wizard of Oz
on 18 February 2008
Yes, I said it, the title of a thousand reviews - "Wicked" is wicked!

But, in all seriousness, it is. I've seen reviews which have labelled some of the songs here as not up to par others from the musical, and from other works of Stephen Schwartz. I can now denounce those rumours with the cheery air that comes from listening to "Wicked" for the forty-seventh time. Every song on this album, except, perhaps, the lacklustre 'Wonderful' (although even that is good to sing along to when you're in a sing-along situation), is wonderfully addictive, from the cheerfully sinister 'No One Mourns the Wicked' to the insanely catchy 'What is this Feeling?' to the mind-blowingly powerful 'Defying Gravity' to the tender, heart-wrenching 'For Good' - I could go one with irritating comparisons and over-used adjectives for the whole review. Fortunately, however, I'm just going to leave you with this - buy this CD. Whether you've seen the show or not (and believe me, after this you'll want to) this is a great CD for all music/al lovers to have in their collection.
on 13 August 2011
I was dragged along most unwillingly by my daughter to see Wicked in the West End - a partial retelling of The Wizard of Oz sounded like a terrible idea to me, but I was completely wrong and instead absolutely fell in love with it from the first minute.

The songs are variously witty, funny, tender and inspiring (and amazingly all written by one man, Stephen Schwartz). There are in fact only a few musical themes but they are cleverly reworked and developed which really helps make it all feel well integrated (for example Defying Gravity and The Wizard And I, or the twist in the two versions of the haunting and bittersweet I'm Not That Girl). And songs such as the epic Dancing Through Life in which the main protagonists (Fiyero, Galinda, Nessa Rose, Boq and Elhpaba) each pitch in with their own contributions.

Wicked is musical theatre at its very best and this original cast recording captures that very well indeed.
VINE VOICEon 30 December 2003
I went to see this show twice on Broadway at considerable expense. It is absolutely awing and the kind of technical and dramatic feat that blows your mind, nothing in London compares to it. The CD is also equally wonderful with Idina Menzel and Kristin Chenoworth worth the price. If you are not inspired by Defying Gravity (which should become the musical theatre anthem of the new year) then goodness knows what will. Just as entertaining is the catchy "popular" every want to be princess/cosmo girls cry to arms. This is a very clever take on The Wizard Of Oz. It has a beautiful score ranging from pop to pastache opera, brilliantly sung with witty lyrics. People are queing to see it and its already a best seller. Buy it, you won't be dispointed. Now click your heels together three times and order it!
on 10 September 2006
WICKED IS SUCH AN BRILLIANT SOUNDTRACK, TRUST ME! Idina Menzel's voice is amazing, she really stands out. but the songs! yes the songs are fantastic! especially "defying gravity" the majority of the songs especially the ones where elphaba (idina) is singing are so great. i cant use words to describe it. its just an amazing soundtrack you wont be disappointed, the songs are never boring they tell a story and the music is perfect, it'll make you want to go and see it! i have never seen wicked before but based on the soundtrack i would be willing to pay £50 £60 and higher to see Wicked with Idina Menzel as Elphaba!