on 15 October 2007
Thanks to the doubtful reviews I almost didn't buy this book but I am so glad that I did. Isabel is not at all like me so it was interesting to identify with such a diffent character and Ren is just sexy...I don't like their initial encounter but I'm a hardcore romantic so that doesn't count! All hang-ups are explained...the part about oral sex is because she doesn't like to lose control. If you like SEP buy it because it's high up on my list of favourites and if you've never read SEP before if you are looking for romance, laughs and men you just want to take home with you BUY THIS BOOK!!!
on 20 January 2010
I almost didn't buy this because of the negative reviews but I really enjoyed it. I love the dialogue and exchanges between the two main characters; they had a sizzling energy running between them. The story line is a bit daft but I don't read SEP for hard hitting reality.
One of my favourites.
on 18 September 2016
My favourite SEP ever
on 11 December 2012
I enjoy the writings of Susan Elizabeth Phillips. I have been reading her books for years.
This story is light reading and very enjoyable to just pass the time.
on 23 September 2013
This book is quite humorous, full of sarcastic retorts !! A definite read, however the ending is not as impressive as expected and hence I chose to give it 4 stars! otherwise this one for sure deserved a 5 star (first 3/4 part)
on 4 January 2015
Loved everything about it _ must read for fans of Susan Elizabeth Phillips- one of her best books - and she has had some great ones!
on 10 December 2014
Love this book, have read it the old fashioned way, brilliant to have it on my kindle app
on 10 May 2009
I've read most of SEPs books this is a pleasant read but the characters just didn't grab me the way that most previous ones did. I think I would have enjoyed the book more if I hadn't read all the others first (The Stars books in particular had me laughing out loud by the end of the first chapter).

That said this wasn't bad but the story and characters seemed to drag - until Ren's ex turned up - the book got more humourous at this point but the fact that this was mid book and the Ren/Ben/hen typos mentioned by a previous reviewer also let it down (especially as my copy was a 2008 reissue, woud have thought the typos would have been removed).

If this was by any other author may well have got more stars but other SEP books have spoilt me being longer/funnier and Breathing Room didn't quite match up.
on 16 July 2006
The Breathing Room does not have the quality of SEP's previous books. The heroine, Isabel Favor, a modern guru a la Anthony Robbins or dr Phil, ends up in Tuscany, recovering from losing her fortune and reputation. There she meets the hero of the book, Lorenzo Gage, an actor always playing the role of the villain. Well, not this time! Amongst descriptions of the Tuscany life their relationship evolves, with strange hang-ups disappearing. But here it just gets ridiculous; one of the hang-ups of the heroine is that she does not like to receive oral sex. It never becomes clear why not (who cares anyway) but luckily our hero knows how to overcome this hang-up pretty quickly.

Even more absurd is the suspense; a village in search of an object that allows the women in the village to become pregnant again.

The characters in the book are hardly interesting,the story is just utterly unbelievable and too boring to be considered a fairytale worth reading. The Tuscany theme has been done before and better by other authors.

The only endearing feature of the book is the sub-story of Tracy and Harry.

Luckily, later books by SEP indicate this is book is a one off for the author. Still looking forward to the next book by SEP.
on 26 May 2004
Susan E. Phillips is known for writing funny and vivid scenes. Setting this book in Tuscany just tops it off. She describes beautiful scenes of Italy and a romance developing. Developing with hickups, you might say. This book is different from SEP's usual books, in that it involves a bit more of suspense and drama: the people in this small town are desperate to find a small statue, one that is thought to be repsonsible for the birth of children.
However, as usual, SEP manages to display a character with whom you can easily identify: Dr. Isabel is a woman so engaged in her work, that she finds it hard to make time for the things in life that really count. Although she is aware of the fact that she is "postponing" the good times, it takes someone else upsetting her life before she realises there is no such thing as postponing happiness. It just slips by you.
She makes up her mind and goes to Tuscany for a welldeserved holiday, although she's not sure how to go about "doing nothing". And then Ren comes along.
A book to bring you in a holiday kind of mood. The mouthwatering descriptions of Tuscan food made me run to the market and buy fresh produce (I made a tomatoe soup, following "Marta's" good example). Good one to stop and think about the daily hassle that keeps you busy.