Format: Audio CD|Change

on 27 December 2006
What can i say. I found Rodrigo Y Gabreila's contribution to my record collection nothing less than stunning. Im a big fan of flamenco greats such as Paco De Lucia, Nino Josele and Oscar Herrero, and have grown up listening to a variety of genres including alternative, indie and samba.

You cannot 'genre' Rodrigo y Gabriela, as they are fusion musicians expressing thier backgrounds and tastes . The untrained ear could simply brand them as another flamenco act, but they are so much more. If thier work was played on an electric guitar rather than acoustic, if wouldnt sound out of place in a heavy metal concert.

Rodrigo Y Gabriela draw inspiration from the wildest of sources, given the type of music they play. They cite metal bands such as iron maiden as influences, and its not hard to see once you give this cd a few listens. Rodrigo's fretwork is blindingly quick and sharp and Gabriela 's guitar is the perfect complement to this. Tamacun is my personal favourite, but if you just sit back and listen to the cd in one sitting, it is hard to distinguish where one song ends and another begins.

An Epic record from an epic duo.
on 1 December 2006
OK. So if you're reading this and looking at this album, you already know all about this pair of firebrand musicians who play the wildest style of acoustic nylon-strung guitar music that you'll ever hear. By their own admission, their playing falls somewhere amongst Flamenco, Jazz and Thrash - but it truly is mind-blowing. Meoldically superb; rhythmically astounding and yet these two people play with a modesty that totally belies their talent or impact.

As for this particular release - the DVD is a real bonus. There are only a few tracks, but if you're a guitarist you MUST, MUST, MUST buy this for the extensive and detailed tutorial which explores and explains an enormous amount about the ways in which they play.

I cannot find words effusive enough to urge you to buy this CD/DVD pairing.
on 26 May 2007
I came across GyR when hearing they were one of the support acts for MUSE at Wembley Stadium in 3 weeks time. Having not heard of them, i was disappointed, but then felt i needed to give it chance and listen to the album..........................am i glad i did!!!

Its something which is unique - being able to captivate an audience with no vocals and simply acoustics. I can honestly say this is the first time i have seriously enjoyed lyricless music. Its fast, intense, exciting and both Rodrigo and Gabriela are incredibly talented.

Tamacun, Diablo Rojo and Orion are my personal favourites, but then again i think the whole album is great!!

Make sure you watch them as well, seeing the way they play acoustics is an incredible thing to watch and i now cannot wait to see them at Wembley!!!
VINE VOICEon 14 May 2006
Sandwiched somewhere at the bottom of the schedule for Friday's Later.. with Jools Holland were 2 likely suspects Rodrigo y Gabriela. Never heard of them, I thought. Basically the only reason I watched was because I couldn't be arsed to turn the TV over. Life-changing may be a little OTT, but watching these 2 playing only acoustic guitars at what seemed like warp speed was in turns fascinating, enjoyable, captivating.. the list goes on. Sadly Jools only gave them 1 track (the fool) - suffice to say 2 days later i have this fantastic CD (and DVD), am booked to see them live and think perhaps I should watch Later..'s lower rated bands more closely in future!

Listening to the CD you simply will not believe 2 people and 2 guitars can make such a joyful racket, it never flags and definitely gives a new twist to Stairway to Heaven. Check this out, find some more and then go see them! Superb.
on 28 May 2006
I sometimes watch Jools Holland's Later to maybe find some gold. Well a couple of weeks ago I found a big fat nugget. The energy of these two players left me breathless; it was melodic, intelligent, rhythmic and beautiful. Couldn't believe they only played one number. It left me wanting more. I bought this album the same evening and was absolutely NOT disppointed. Intensity of heavy metal, the grace of flamenco, the intricacy of jazz all delivered with a consistent melodic beauty. Perfect..
on 11 November 2006
This is my favorite CD of 2006. R y G play a very exciting blend of flamenco, jazz, metal, latin and even bits of clssically influenced material on acoustic guitars They manage to get a wide variety of tones and percusive effects out of them that provides more variety than seems possible. Their technique, particularly Gabriela's, is just astonishing but if that was all there was it would quickly bcome dull. Luckily, they have eclectic tastes and real musicality which keeps your attention. The original material is great but they also do covers in a way that is also really original and different, Orion and Stairway to Heaven are particular highlights, but every track is a gem. If you like this you might like Johannes Linstead and vice versa.

If you have speeding endosements best not to drive to this.
on 20 June 2007
I saw these guys supporting muse at wembley stadium and having listened to this album before, i was expecting to be amazed and i was!!!

The album is incredible, although the thought of it didnt really appeal to me when i was first told about it, but they are arguably one of the most talented and influential acoustic guitarists currently playing. You must seem them live, as they will simply wow you.

A must buy for any music lover!!!
on 18 November 2006
One of my son's friends lent me this album as he knows I'm a Led Zeppelin obsessive and he thought I'd be interested in hearing the Stairway cover, and it has just blown me away. I want to go round telling every-one how fabulous they are. We saw them in Glasgow a couple of night's ago, one of the best concerts I've heard. They don't fit in to any genre and don't need to ,the music is just so good.
on 25 May 2006
I challenge you to stay still while listening to this Album, Gabriela's style is as free and relaxed as you can get, and the sound she gets and the percussion she provides is incredible, and create a fantastic rythmic background to Rodrigo's sublime fret work.

These two love playing and it shows!

The riff's, and hooks will have you humming and moving even after the songs have finished.

This is music at it's purist, I haven't been so inspired to play my own guitar for many, many years. I just need about ten more fingers and a couple more hands and I'm away!!
on 9 August 2006
Rodrigo y Gabriela have that rare ability to draw on familiar riffs & Latin tempos, twisting them into bright and rhythmic patterns to delight a new audience. This album is a gem.