Format: DVD|Change

on 2 April 2006
Being a young child of the '70's, the name Mr. Benn evokes memories of stiff-legged animation, the voice of the great Ray Brooks, an unmistakable theme tune, a variety of costumes and not forgetting the magical double act of Mr. Benn and the Shopkeeper. This no-frills DVD release delivers what is says on the case - all the episodes of this classic part of my childhood.
The quality of the DVD is excellent; the picture is sharp and the sound is excellent. Unlike a number of childhood programmes, Mr. Benn is just as good as I remember it to be - a charming series of moral-based stories which grab the attention. The DVD has the extra of an extra story of our hero as a gladiator. The new episode is successful in retaining the feel of the original stories and, hopefully, more stories are in the pipeline. The only gripe about the DVD is that there are no extras - a 'Making Of...' documentary would have been more than welcome. However, it is certainly a long-awaited release and a welcome addition to my DVD collection. Highly recommended!
22 Comments| 86 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 26 April 2017
I enjoyed watching Mr Benn in Germany with our son now I am enjoying watching Mr Benn with our Grand children
on 27 March 2017
excellent
on 29 April 2017
Fantastic DVD
on 15 October 2005
About time too!
The vhs collections have long been deleted and as such fetched very high prices on a certain popular auction website.
Now you can get all the televised episodes of Mr Benn on a no-frills dvd plus one new episode which apart from newly recorded music could easily have been from the original series.
Kids will love Mr Benn, his adventures involve pirates, dinosaurs, sea monsters, spacemen - great marketing(!) but i'd imagine this DVD will appeal just as much to people who loved watching this series when they were young, me for instance!
By the way, don't expect any trailers, making of documentaries, or biographies on this dvd, all you get is is every episode of Mr Benn from the 70s plus Mr Benn - Gladiator, the new story - that's it.
What more do you want?
Perfect.
0Comment| 113 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 30 January 2007
For me, watching Mr. Benn was a trip down memory lane. For my wife and kids, however, this was a brand new experience because we live in America and they've never seen Mr. Benn before. The result? They loved it! I mean, really loved it! My kids saw it once and haven't stopped asking for it since. And my wife, who could be forgiven for not sharing my enthusiasm, says it's already one of her favourites. Add to that the fact that the menus and picture quality are far better than I was expecting and you've got the best kids' DVD £5 can buy!
on 5 March 2006
The animation is beautifully uncluttered (and often subtler than first appears), the stories neat, humorous and with a quiet moral, and the music - perhaps because of the presence of Kenny Wheeler in the band - often has echoes of Miles Davis, especially Sketches of Spain. Who could ask for anything more?
on 9 April 2017
Bought this gift for my 11 year old son. He opened the package and to my horror there was a pack of Karma Sutra playing cards inside and no DVD. Surely packages go through some QC before being dispatched? Outraged & disappointed to say the least.
TOP 1000 REVIEWERon 31 December 2015
I was born in 1965 so I remember watching 'Mr Benn' on television as a small boy. In those days entertainment for children revolved around gentleness and the telling of a good story not like today. For that reason, this DVD is probably not suitable for kids nowadays but is IS suitable for BIG kids (like me!) who will enjoy re-visiting their innocent days and marveling again at the thought of finding such an amazing fancy dress shop to have 'adventures in' each time!

For the uninitiated, that is what each of the 14 episodes are about here. Mr Benn lives in an 'ordinary street' and by the sounds of it has an 'ordinary life'. When invited to attend a fancy dress party, Mr Benn goes searching for somewhere to buy some 'special clothes' to go to the party in. In spite of searching big department stores and little stores he finds nothing but 'ordinary clothes' until he stumbles across a small shop in one of the back streets. The shop has a variety of different costumes for hire and so Mr Benn goes in. While looking about the shop 'as if by magic' the shopkeeper appears and MR Benn is encouraged to try on one of the outfits to 'see if it fits'. On entering the changing room and trying on the outfit, 'Mr Benn' then sees a new door appear and is able to walk through it into an 'adventure'...

I have always loved the way Ray Brooks distinctive voice tells each of these tales full of imagination and wonder and the fact that the whole thing is nothing more than a series of coloured drawings and some music is of no consequence. In fact, this programme (and a lot of 60's and 70's kids programming) proves conclusively that you don't need gadgets, violence, loud bangs and crashes etc to entertain and enthrall kids. I STILL love a lot of what I saw as a child 50 years on and LOVED watching this all again just as much...

The 'new' episode follows exactly the same pattern as the original shows. It features 'Mr Benn' as a Gladiator, is voiced by Ray Brooks and was made in 2004. Why only one new episode was made back then I don't know but its addition here really added to my enjoyment (I missed it on release) as it gave one more chance to step through the door of the changing room back into my childhood...

Well, I'd better go, the shopkeeper has appeared on the screen of my laptop and he is ushering me towards a large brown door...
on 18 July 2006
Our oldest (almost 3 years) loves Mr Benn! She is re-enacting his adventures pretending to be a pirate or a dinosaur and loves it.

It is nostalgic watching all those episodes again, it amazes me how much I still remembered.

This is a no-frill Mr Benn DVD, all episodes ever made, no extras, but who needs them anyway?